User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
HappyHighwayman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Low Fuel Light

I find the fuel gauge system on the F800GS amusing. When the low fuel light comes on, I typically drive no more than 10-20 miles before refueling but often have as much as 1.1 gallons of gas left. Sometimes it's far less than that.

it basically makes the gauge no better than having ONLY the low fuel warning light.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Agree!!
I have gotten mine down to 12 miles till empty and when i gas up, it never takes more then 3.4 or 3.5 gallons, i know it says the bike has a 4.2 gallon tank with a 1 gallon reserve. I take the light to mean I am on the reserve gallon. One of these days I am going to clock the mileage and run it dry and see it the miles to empty can be trusted....I must say that the avg mpg is always accurate when you calculate.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
HappyHighwayman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Unless you have different software than I do it only starts counting miles driven SINCE the light comes on, not "miles to empty".
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Unless you have different software than I do it only starts counting miles driven SINCE the light comes on, not "miles to empty".
That's what pre-2011 F800 and F650GSs did. BMW changed the software after that.

And FWIW, I strapped a gas can to my bike and ran the tank dry intentionally twice a few years ago. Over a mixed range of roads, the "reserve" light came on at 185 and 188 miles, and the bike ran out of gas at 217 and 218 miles. Once the final bar on the gas gauge disappeared, it ran for another 10 miles each time.

The most I've put in the tank without running it completely dry is 4.27 gals. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it another mile.

But I have run the bike as long as 235 miles before the reserve light came on, so much depends on the speed you're running, headwinds, altitude, load of luggage, etc.

Bottom line, adjust your mileage expectations with the conditions, and reset your trip odometer at each fill up. I wouldn't put too much trust in the fuel gauge, miles-to-empty indicator, or reserve light.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
HappyHighwayman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I assume 200 miles per tank to be safe. I filled up at 175 miles today and guessed it would take 3.8 gallons and it was spot on.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
it's like every useless gadjet. once we don't have it we miss it.

It's a good "overview" product but a machine can't replace human reason. Just make an average out of it. I know that after 300kms I refill my tank weather the light is on or not.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Moto_JJ
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Could be worse. Mine is telling me I have a full tank all the time. Luckily, they are going to fix it under warranty. Turns out it needs a whole new brain, as it wasn't just the sensors.
Moto_JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I' ve had the bike stall bone dry once with 40 miles after reserve. And when I filled her, i got only 4 gallons in. Makes me wonder whether I got a smaller tank than ya'll. I typically get almost 200 to empty and these days I've wised up to fill it every 150 miles. Not really a rant or anything, but something's off with the guage for sure.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
MichaelRay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My "bars" don't pop off full until about 140 miles and then drop like a rock. What are they supposed to do? My bike is still under warranty. Is this something I should have them replace?
MichaelRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
HappyHighwayman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think like most fuel related things on motorcycles they throw it on just to say they have it and put no effort into making it useful.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I think like most fuel related things on motorcycles they throw it on just to say they have it and put no effort into making it useful.
naaa... I think the problem comes from the tank and its architecture. it's not flat like tanks that are on top of the bike. the shape is not that even under the seat which causes problems.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
last night

Mine came on last night and I rode 32 miles and it only took 3.2 gallons to fill it up. I've also notice the light comes on much sooner(130-140 miles) then on my 2010 F650GS
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote