Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #46
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post
I think OEM intake systems on bikes are a measure of performance vs. intake noise, so there is usually a slight compromise on out-right power to keep the intake noise down. Just my opinion
Now don't get me wrong, I"m not trying to imply that Too Many Toys was dropped on his head as a lad ...
But ...

Does anyone have another explaination for BMW intentionally making the air box overly restrictive?
Space might be an issue, but I would think the intake noise could be baffled to the extent that it would be acceptable ... 2HP - 3HP seems like a lot for BMW to have left on the table?

Emissions related maybe???

JRWooden screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:53 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
drroccostein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Overall noise emission and exhuast emissions, restrictive intake, lean injection sequence all to meet C.A.R.B. and EPA standards.
drroccostein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroccostein View Post
Overall noise emission and exhuast emissions, restrictive intake, lean injection sequence all to meet C.A.R.B. and EPA standards.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #49
manarch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
As I am new to the forum (and adv riding - have F800GS, adding farkles, looking for opportunity to use it) I have been catching up on a few areas of interest, and the Australian Uni filter combo is one.

I got the Oz Uni filters for my GS (along with the Scorpion slip on pipe) based on advice in an adventure riding mag, put them in for one day without a snorkelectomy.

Verdict?

The seat-of-the-pants feel was pretty much what SCVGS reckons the dyno showed, but actually felt more than just a few % - it was like riding the G650 I was given as a loaner when my 1000k service was done.

Put in a K&N with the Scorpion.

Verdict?

Will be trying this combination with an accelerator module to take the snatch out (if I can find a snatch in the first place).

cheers,
manarch
manarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #50
oz mal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Crap product

If you live in Australia, don't waste you money on the Uni Filter that is sold for the F800GS.
As this forum suggests, it is not designed for the 800GS. It will fit, and you can hack your snorkels to fit the pre filters, but Uni Filter are being lazy and selling a product made for another bike as something that is designed for the 800GS.
When I raised this with Uni Filter I got NO reply. Shows you how much they care.

The standard paper filter will do a better job of protecting your engine against dust and crap anyway and will filter much finer particles. I just wish I had relized this before I wasted $60-70 on the one I have.

Uni F*&%$D.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #51
matho...
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff800gs View Post
At some point I lost one of my prefilters so I ended up throwing the other one away. When I went to go and clean the filter I had found the other one had been sucked into the snorkel. I decided that I would follow SCVGS lead and drill three 1" holes in the air box cover and then cut up the prefilter into three pieces and stuff them into the holes. I haven't had it on a dyno but it sounds much better like is not gasping for air anymore. I didn't oil the plugs I just couldn't have open holes in the airbox.
Hmmmm, I'd like to say my opinion,if it helps...
As we see on the photo...

the snorkels of F8 bring the external air inside the filter box.As I imagine,the air comes with a specific pressure and quantity.So,I'm thinking and please tell me if I'm wrong!If you drill holes on the box cover,you are going to allow the air come out,so to reduce the pressure and the quantity of the air coming inside the box and of course the engine...Isn't that worst than leave the box uncut as it is now?

As for the UNI filter,I've read allmost every word about, here on ADVrider and I'm a bit confused of the right installation of the prefilters..yes for sure they do nice work but.......Well I want to buy this UNI-7308 but I'm not sure about cutting the snorkels or put the small prefilters without any reason-you say it's going it's way after some dirty kms... I have a K&N now but last time I opened to clean I was surprised about how dirt was in there in only 1200km from last cleaning.And I'm doing enough offroading .So I'm close to change it and maybe it's time to go with a foam filter.Except of UNI's, I also keep an eye on a Pipercross .Do you have any opinion of that?
Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #52
Snks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by matho... View Post
Hmmmm, I'd like to say my opinion,if it helps...
As we see on the photo...

the snorkels of F8 bring the external air inside the filter box.As I imagine,the air comes with a specific pressure and quantity.So,I'm thinking and please tell me if I'm wrong!If you drill holes on the box cover,you are going to allow the air come out,so to reduce the pressure and the quantity of the air coming inside the box and of course the engine...Isn't that worst than leave the box uncut as it is now?

As for the UNI filter,I've read allmost every word about, here on ADVrider and I'm a bit confused of the right installation of the prefilters..yes for sure they do nice work but.......Well I want to buy this UNI-7308 but I'm not sure about cutting the snorkels or put the small prefilters without any reason-you say it's going it's way after some dirty kms... I have a K&N now but last time I opened to clean I was surprised about how dirt was in there in only 1200km from last cleaning.And I'm doing enough offroading .So I'm close to change it and maybe it's time to go with a foam filter.Except of UNI's, I also keep an eye on a Pipercross .Do you have any opinion of that?

Very little air is actually pushed through the snorkels and it would have to be at speed. Drilling the three 1" holes allows the motor to take a much bigger gulp of air when needed hence the HP gains which I can understand.
Mostly as was said previously BMW has to deal with noise and EPA issues on stock bikes.
Another way might be to cut the snorkels back and use larger hoses going to the front.
Snks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #53
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
The airbox on mine had dust on all the internal surfaces at 10,000km. The standard paper filter had quite a load of dust in it. It was splitting at one of the internal folds.

I fitted the uni filter sold in Australia.

No dust since.

Spotless in fact.

Sure, they aren't specifically designed for this bike. One side of the filters touches the bottom of the airbox.

So?

Never been an issue. It's seen a lot of proper dirt. The filters have been loaded with dirt and filth when I wash them.

All looks perfectly normal to me.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #54
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Snowy,
I'm with you. I have been using the Unifilters since new. I'm a bit old fashioned and like oiled filters. I didn't bother cutting the snorkels and fit the prefilters from the inside. They get dirty but the main filter remains spotless.

I do clean the filter regularly ( like after every long dirt ride ) and it takes no longer than my WRR so no issue.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #55
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,199
Rider101 ... I'm with you and Snowy , had the unifilter for years with no problems. I did cut the snorkels to fit the prefilters, with no issues, but I only use them on long dusty rides as 800GS doesn't seem to need that much filter maintenance compared to some other bikes.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #56
matho...
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

What's the reason you cutting the snorkels? Isn't possible to fit them without cut?And when I want to clean the prefilters how easy is install-reinstall em without touch the side plastics?
Old 06-05-2015, 02:43 AM   #57
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
The instructions tell you where to cut the snorkels. The prefilters are fed in from the front with the pointy end toward the airbox. You then fold the open end of the prefilter over the cut end of the snorkel and secure with provided reuseable cable ties.

I am a lazy prick and couldn't be bothered removing the side fairings to get at the snorkel so I remove the faux tank cover and airbox cover and feed the prefilters from the inside with the pointy ends facing forward. I use a piece of 2.4mm TIG wire with a round bead on the end to push the prefilter in.

Clear?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #58
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
2 people that agree with me....Imma start me a fan club....
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #59
matho...
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
...instructions...
Clear?
Thiz iz it .Info received.Nothing more,Out
Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #60
BygDaddee