Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #46
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post
I think OEM intake systems on bikes are a measure of performance vs. intake noise, so there is usually a slight compromise on out-right power to keep the intake noise down. Just my opinion
Now don't get me wrong, I"m not trying to imply that Too Many Toys was dropped on his head as a lad ...
But ...

Does anyone have another explaination for BMW intentionally making the air box overly restrictive?
Space might be an issue, but I would think the intake noise could be baffled to the extent that it would be acceptable ... 2HP - 3HP seems like a lot for BMW to have left on the table?

Emissions related maybe???

JRWooden screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 09:53 AM
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
drroccostein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Overall noise emission and exhuast emissions, restrictive intake, lean injection sequence all to meet C.A.R.B. and EPA standards.
drroccostein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #48
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroccostein View Post
Overall noise emission and exhuast emissions, restrictive intake, lean injection sequence all to meet C.A.R.B. and EPA standards.
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #49
manarch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
As I am new to the forum (and adv riding - have F800GS, adding farkles, looking for opportunity to use it) I have been catching up on a few areas of interest, and the Australian Uni filter combo is one.

I got the Oz Uni filters for my GS (along with the Scorpion slip on pipe) based on advice in an adventure riding mag, put them in for one day without a snorkelectomy.

Verdict?

The seat-of-the-pants feel was pretty much what SCVGS reckons the dyno showed, but actually felt more than just a few % - it was like riding the G650 I was given as a loaner when my 1000k service was done.

Put in a K&N with the Scorpion.

Verdict?

Will be trying this combination with an accelerator module to take the snatch out (if I can find a snatch in the first place).

cheers,
manarch
manarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #50
oz mal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Crap product

If you live in Australia, don't waste you money on the Uni Filter that is sold for the F800GS.
As this forum suggests, it is not designed for the 800GS. It will fit, and you can hack your snorkels to fit the pre filters, but Uni Filter are being lazy and selling a product made for another bike as something that is designed for the 800GS.
When I raised this with Uni Filter I got NO reply. Shows you how much they care.

The standard paper filter will do a better job of protecting your engine against dust and crap anyway and will filter much finer particles. I just wish I had relized this before I wasted $60-70 on the one I have.

Uni F*&%$D.