User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Lost on The Rez - Navajo Nation

Out here, just because the map calls it a road and just because the GPS says you're on it, doesn't necessarily make it so. There are "roads" that aren't roads at all and then there are trails not found on any map that, nonetheless, serve as roads to the people who live here. And, of course, they all intersect and dead end in any number of places. Mind you, its really not advisable to just barrel along out here, as people don't always take kindly to having strangers just roll up on their place. But, today, I headed out for what was supposed to be an hour long ride down "well marked" logging roads. My XT550 is stripped down, waiting for elves to straighten the frame in the night, so I took the only bike I had - my 85 Honda Shadow VT1100. I was gone for 6 hours.

Paulutions screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 09:10 PM Reason: Just trying to post a pic
Paulutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

How the hell do I post pics on here?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulutions View Post
How the hell do I post pics on here?
You need to first upload them into a host site like photobucket... Then copy the IMG tag .... Hit the insert photo button above ... And paste

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
You need to first upload them into a host site like photobucket... Then copy the IMG tag .... Hit the insert photo button above ... And paste
Thank you
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 402
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
havabusa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Posted from your account

If you don't mind. You already have a photo hosting account?

havabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
havabusa
Adventurer

Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
havabusa
Adventurer

Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Well at least you got PIX.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Rsome.

And now, the rest of the story?
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
And now, the rest of the story?
Well, I very easily could have wound up as one of those stories you read about & think, ” what an idiot.” You might still think that. I had no food, no water, no charging cable for my phone, which was all I had for GPS, a full tank of gas & a nagging wife & kids at home who I had just spent 3 days with in the car - a recipe for disaster. If it had rained, I'd have been really screwed. But, as it turned out, I had a blast. I wish I had taken more pics. At one point, I had to cross a rickety rotting bridge over a deep wash with my 500+ lb bike. I still haven't looked at the bottom of my engine, as I came down hard on so many rocks, that I'm just glad I didn't lose any fluids. At one point, I gave up on trying to decipher what was a road & just bushwhacked it for a few miles which, as it turned, was the most productive decision I made all day. At the end of it all, after coming down & going up some crazy steep, rocky, sandy, and, at times, muddy terrain, I came on the locked gate in the picture. I could hear the highway in the distance, but could not see a house, so I laid my bike down & dragged it under the gate. Then, as I was riding towards the road, a herd of horses ran with me on the other side of a deep ravine, excited that I might be bringing them food. I turned my head for a second & when I looked again they were gone. Suddenly, they came flying up out of the ravine almost on top of me. I had to hit the brake & swerve from hitting a colt. But, I made it home. Next time, I will be more prepared.

Paulutions screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 08:35 PM Reason: "Write drunk. Edit sober." - Ernest Hemingway
Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

By the way, the so-called road on my map turned out to be an old logging road that had been abandoned for 40+ years. That's the kind of info you can really only get from locals.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulutions View Post
Well, I very easily could have wound up as one of those stories you read about & think, what an idiot. You might still think that. I had no food, no water, no charging cable for my phone, which was all I had for GPS, a full tank of gas & a nagging wife & kids who I had just spent 3 days with in the car - a recipe for disaster. If it had rained, I'd have been really screwed. But, as it turned out, I had a blast. I wish I had taken more pics. At one point, I had to cross a rickety rotting bridge over a deep wash with my 500+ lb bike. I still haven't looked at the bottom of my engine, as I came down hard on so many rocks, that I'm just glad I didn't lose any fluids. At one point, I gave up on trying to decipher what was a road & just bushwhacked it for a few miles which, as it turned, was the most productive decision I made all day. At the end of it all, after coming down & going up some crazy steep, rocky, sandy, and, at times, muddy terrain, I came on the locked gate in the picture. I could hear the highway in the distance, but could not see a house, so I laid my bike down & dragged it under the gate. Then, as I was riding towards the road, a herd of horses ran with me on the other side of a deep ravine, excited that I might be bringing them food. I turned my head for a second & when I looked again they were gone. Suddenly, they came flying up out of the ravine almost on top of me. I had to hit the brake & swerve from hitting a colt. But, I made it home. Next time, I will be more prepared.
Wish you had a GoPro mounted for that encounter!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Paulutions OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Wish you had a GoPro mounted for that encounter!
Me too. If wishes were fishes, I'd be a net. I'd just like to get my xt going for now & work my way up to something, anything better.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Bullspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Nice! I used to teach on the Navajo reservation so I always like to see pictures and hear stories about it.

It is true, the Navajo people don't really like unannounced visitors, but they are, as a rule, some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote