Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #76
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
My first real job was at a dodge dealership in the late 70s, when things were really bad, right before Iacocca brought them back. Seems odd that one guy could bring a car company back, but Lee did it.

The drivetrains were solid, the pushrod v8s combined with the 727 torqueflights ( which wer also used in a number of foreign cars) could run many miles, but they used caulk, instead of screws to hold tailights in. so after a couple years the caulk got hard and the tailights fell off. One of many problems outside the drivetrain.

Dodge ripped off the VW rabbit, bought the engine production line from vw and made the Omni, which has almost as many running examples still out there as the Pacer.
I believe it was actually a Simca from Chrysler France.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #77
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
You're both correct, I never knew about the Simca engined cars, but the 1.7L from the A1 Rabbit/Jetta engine were used in the Omins and even the 4spd was a VW gearbox as well.

Like a lot of other people have said it's pretty much a crap shoot when buying a Chrysler. I don't think I could ever buy one of the FWD cars, I've never driven on that I though was worth a damn, Neons, Stratus, Caravans were all just real shitty cars. The trucks and SUVs are a real bargain, especially used, even after factoring the extra few repair bills.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #78
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post

From Wiki:

Quote:
Despite looking almost identical, the Omni and Horizon had few interchangeable parts with their European siblings. Aside from the heavier-looking American body panels and bumpers, the OHV Simca engines were replaced with a 1.7*L OHC engine sourced from Volkswagen, while MacPherson strut front suspension took the place of the torsion bar arrangement found in the European Horizon. The small Volkswagen engine used an enlarged Chrysler-designed cylinder head and intake manifold and produced 75*hp (56*kW) and 90*lbft (120*Nm).
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #79
p3ga
Rounding Error

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
One was enough for me. Mine was a '76 Aspen with a 360/904. Couldn't keep a front seal in it, even with a sleeved balancer hub. The ignition system would quit at random. The starter switch didn't work, even after replacing the switch, so I installed a pushbutton. This was after I got tired of reaching under the car with a screwdriver to start it. It lunched the 904, plus another 904, plus two 727s, the second of which came from a 1-ton van.
That was 36 f'ing years ago! You're not one to hold a grudge are you?

p3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #80
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I do alot of interstate driving and chrysler products are by far the most common vehicles found dead along the road. Followed by S-10 pickups and blazers,
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #81
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
My family owned a used car lot for over 25 years, so I've had plenty of experiences with Chrysler products. Add to that all the experiences of police forces who keep trying to use them... like you guys aid on page one - for granny drivers, own them for up to 60,000 miles then get rid of it fast. For normal drivers - get rid of it before 24,000.

For me? No thank you. I don't care that the trucks are faster when they run - the transmission issues are beyond comical, and I've seen families suffer from guys who thought they were doing right by buying an American truck, only to have the transmission go out well before it should. Fix it and starve, sell it at a major loss and maybe be able to buy a piece of crap car, or go without a vehicle?

I may really hate numerous things GM has done, and continues to do, in marketing their vehicles, but I'd buy an 80,000 mile GM or Ford truck over a lower-priced Dodge any day of the week.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #82
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ga View Post
Kinda. My Mom pissed me off in 1987 and I let her go to her grave without ever seeing me again.

I didn't own the Aspen when it was new. I bought it from a cousin of mine in 1985 and gave it away in 1990.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #83
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
My family owned a used car lot for over 25 years, so I've had plenty of experiences with Chrysler products. Add to that all the experiences of police forces who keep trying to use them... like you guys aid on page one - for granny drivers, own them for up to 60,000 miles then get rid of it fast. For normal drivers - get rid of it before 24,000.

For me? No thank you. I don't care that the trucks are faster when they run - the transmission issues are beyond comical, and I've seen families suffer from guys who thought they were doing right by buying an American truck, only to have the transmission go out well before it should. Fix it and starve, sell it at a major loss and maybe be able to buy a piece of crap car, or go without a vehicle?

I may really hate numerous things GM has done, and continues to do, in marketing their vehicles, but I'd buy an 80,000 mile GM or Ford truck over a lower-priced Dodge any day of the week.

And I sell new cars. I've met more Dodge Ram owners doing Lemon Law buy backs than any other model.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #84
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
fwiw I have an 02 wrangler with 150,000 + miles on it . the trans started slipping at 15,000 miles for a couple of shifts when cold but is still going . The steering gear box has been leaking for the last 100,000 miles . the front and rear pinion seals have been leaking since I have owned it .it is rusting out in the same places my 79 and 83 cj`s did back in the day. the engine (4.0 ) has had a cold knock for the last 70,000 miles . if it breaks I will fix it but until then ... drive on

here is my last brake job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvv1P-gVX0&feature=plcp
snofrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #85
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
fwiw I have an 02 wrangler with 150,000 + miles on it . the trans started slipping at 15,000 miles for a couple of shifts when cold but is still going . The steering gear box has been leaking for the last 100,000 miles . the front and rear pinion seals have been leaking since I have owned it .it is rusting out in the same places my 79 and 83 cj`s did back in the day. the engine (4.0 ) has had a cold knock for the last 70,000 miles . if it breaks I will fix it but until then ... drive on

here is my last brake job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvv1P-gVX0&feature=plcp
The bigger thing with the Jeeps of the era, IIRC, were the electrical issues. If you've had 150k on it with those minor problems... it's sounds great to me.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #86
RedRocket

Now that your posts have reminded me, it's rare that we keep a Chrysler trade in with more than 70 or 80,000 miles because they're most always leaking from too many places.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #87
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Chrysler:

Corporate Headquarters Recommends You Start Learning Engine Repair.

Jeep:

Just Empty Every Pocket.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #88
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Really now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
And I sell new cars. I've met more Dodge Ram owners doing Lemon Law buy backs than any other model.

You guys are hilarious. Must not know any ford owners with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel trucks.....

Most mfg.'s have similar issues with poor quality- take a look at Audi, Range Rover, VW, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Thing is, the mfg doesn't make most of the parts, they just assemble the car. Axles are by Dana, AAM, or outsourced to a contract manufacturer. Engines are often a joint venture. Trans come from Allison or others (at least in truck anyway.) Alternators and Starters are outsourced to other companies like Mitsubishi on contract.

Our Chevy Suburban has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I know a dozen or so folks with them and all have trouble once they hit 100K miles, engine, trans, and rear ends seem to be the common things. But it's life with a big family, there isn't anything else to buy but a full size van.....

Company cars-
07- Grand Caravan- no problems- 90K (liked this one)
10- Grand Caravan- no problems- 90K (hated this one b/c of color and interior fabric)
12- Grand Caravan- brand new 3K- like it better than the last one.

My cars
1985 RamCharger- 245K- rebuilt the trans at 230K. Changed the brakes, tires, alternator, and timing chain
95 F350 285K- eats vacuum pumps, glow plug relays, and brakes for breakfast- replaced a water pump once
2007 Dodge 3500- 90K - never replaced a thing, except tires (not even brakes)
2005 Suburban- 140K- brakes, 4 t-case shift motors, a host of AC repairs, electrical problems like crazy (heated seats turn on for no reason), clunk in the rear end, and a slipping trans that will be rebuilt this winter by me

I don't claim to be a car expert by any means, but they all seem pretty bad these days. What do you expect, the biggest awards given are for initial build quality and reliability. Shouldn't' the initial build quality be good on all of them? And the best one is reialibility - measured at 30K..... geez, who cares, they all should be reliable at that milage point!
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #89
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ga View Post

People judge a car by the last one they had, I wouldnt gamble on one myself and my experience has been 10 years past

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #90
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
You guys are hilarious. Must not know any ford owners with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel trucks.....

Most mfg.'s have similar issues with poor quality- take a look at Audi, Range Rover, VW, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Thing is, the mfg doesn't make most of the parts, they just assemble the car. Axles are by Dana, AAM, or outsourced to a contract manufacturer. Engines are often a joint venture. Trans come from Allison or others (at least in truck anyway.) Alternators and Starters are outsourced to other companies like Mitsubishi on contract.

Our Chevy Suburban has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I know a dozen or so folks with them and all have trouble once they hit 100K miles, engine, trans, and rear ends seem to be the common things. But it's life with a big family, there isn't anything else to buy but a full size van.....

Company cars-
07- Grand Caravan- no problems- 90K (liked this one)
10- Grand Caravan- no problems- 90K (hated this one b/c of color and interior fabric)
12- Grand Caravan- brand new 3K- like it better than the last one.

My cars
1985 RamCharger- 245K- rebuilt the trans at 230K. Changed the brakes, tires, alternator, and timing chain
95 F350 285K- eats vacuum pumps, glow plug relays, and brakes for breakfast- replaced a water pump once
2007 Dodge 3500- 90K - never replaced a thing, except tires (not even brakes)
2005 Suburban- 140K- brakes, 4 t-case shift motors, a host of AC repairs, electrical problems like crazy (heated seats turn on for no reason), clunk in the rear end, and a slipping trans that will be rebuilt this winter by me

I don't claim to be a car expert by any means, but they all seem pretty bad these days. What do you expect, the biggest awards given are for initial build quality and reliability. Shouldn't' the initial build quality be good on all of them? And the best one is reialibility - measured at 30K..... geez, who cares, they all should be reliable at that milage point!
Yes, and I havent bought a Chevy since my experience with an 02 S-10. 27,000 miles and in the shop six weeks on and off due to electrical.

My 03 Honda CR/V was at 210,000 miles when I sold it, had a oxy sensor and a fuel gauge sending unit go out during that time, thats it. Had an 01 Xterra, 112,000 miles, never in the shop, my 99 4X Nissan frontier 98,000, never in the shop. 97,000 on my current Suzuki GV, never been in the shop, 04 Toyota Tacoma, 60,000 never been in the shop. Why would I take a chance on another Chrysler?

Had a 97 S-10, I actually liked it, got it up to about 130,000 miles. Had an extended warranty, by 100,000 had replaced the water pump, transmission, rear end, A/C compressor and altenator. I still liked it, thats why I bought the POS 02 S-10.

Not too hilarious when you cant keep one running long enough to get to work.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: