ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What should I do with the newest addition to the stable?
Leave it un-restored stock and ride the piss out of it 12 36.36%
Scrambler style mods and flog the hell out of it 11 33.33%
Cafe style build and wring its little neck whenever possible 8 24.24%
Sell it to a friend who wants a first bike and let him drop it a few times 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Got the front end bundled up and pulled off the front fender to start thinking about what I wanted to do there.

Then it was time to start playing with some sheet metal

This is where the first piece ended up.

That will be a pan for the fuses, relay, voltage rectifier etc.

Then the urge struck me to ride the thing so I needed a tail light

I found a trailer side marker that I liked the lens on which had two bulbs so a little dremel time and some solder turned one bulb into the running light and the second into a brake light.

I dropped the battery tray back in so I could take a test run with the new smaller battery

Then slapped the seat back on and made a temporary mount for the tag and tail light

The ride was fun and I like the new bars, but found an issue that I hadn't noticed with the original bars on. The bar clamps are asymmetrical and the one on the right has a rubber bushing which is worn thin enough to make the bars sit off level.

Time for a bit of internet hunting to see if I can find a replacement.

Next up a new seat pan and tail cowl

cameron110 screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 03:32 PM
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pulled the bars and the mounts to check out what was going on and here is what I found:

For now I shimmed up the shorter one with a couple fender washers to get the sizes closer to the same. It isn't in the photo, but I also shimmed the threaded end so that the shaft that holds the rubber cones is still the same length and there was enough remaining thread left to catch the nut and cup washer.

This bike looked pretty unchanged/modified, anyone have any guesses if the mounts were different for a reason (factory or otherwise) I can't think of anything other than an accidental part swap somewhere in the last 30 some years.

cameron110 screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 05:57 PM
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Common problem with the 360 was broken upper triple trees and worn out bushings. In a box somewhere I have some parts for a 350 and 360. I might have a set of bar risers with bushings in fair condition. I hope you aren't chopping it. It irritates me that guys start projects and ruin nice old bikes then want to sell the hacked up parts missing remains, or hack up a bike and think it's worth more than stock. I applaud that you are not going to destroy it. I'd like to see the finished project.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2wing View Post
Common problem with the 360 was broken upper triple trees and worn out bushings. In a box somewhere I have some parts for a 350 and 360. I might have a set of bar risers with bushings in fair condition. I hope you aren't chopping it. It irritates me that guys start projects and ruin nice old bikes then want to sell the hacked up parts missing remains, or hack up a bike and think it's worth more than stock. I applaud that you are not going to destroy it. I'd like to see the finished project.

definitely no chopping going on here, I am enjoying the challenge of seeing what I can do without making any permanent changes. There is a nice big box of parts that will go back on when I get bored with the cafe style.

The bushings look very new, I took her out for a run today and it felt much better with the fender washers shimming the bar clamps up even. At some point I will look for a matched pair on e-bay, or if you happen across a set I would gladly send some money your or Baldy's way for them.

Thanks for the insight
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
cameron110 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back to stock form

Those of you that voted for keeping it stock will be pleased to hear that today's project is taking the little red bike back to stock guise. The SO is finishing up her last day of the MSF course and needs a bike to ride so this will be it. She had a similar one years ago out in Cali when she had her permit but then got busy with school and never got into riding, maybe second time's the charm

It has been a blast to rip around on this summer in cafe-ish guise, the dropped bars and loud pipe made for a very viscerally pleasing ride. I never did bother to build a tail cowl or new seat because other projects took it's place. Most recently getting this "barn find" back up and running has been at the front of the line.