User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #61
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Thank you, Tuono and Train....

OP, if you are of the build, I'd get the GSA for sure, that is unless you really didn't have a need for the added bits or increased ride height. They both are fantastic motorcycles, both with their own selling points, but it really only matters what it is that you want out of one or which fits your actual riding needs/wants, best. I must say, it is refreshing to see owners caution you as to the GSA's added size and heft, they seem to be discounted more times than not around here.

I say ride each and see which of the two sings to you.

Thanks for your service ,

oalvarez screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 05:20 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #62
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
It's funny, I was thinking exactly that as I was blasting down a beat-up road on my ride home from work. That long-travel suspension pays dividends on busted up roads.
+2 on that. The suspension travel is what gives that boost in confidence for me. I have yet to upset the GSA to the point where I've been uncomfortable while pushing it due to rough roads. The Tuono used to hit some rough patches that would still overwhelm its suspension (which was dialed in for me and full Ohlins to boot).

Your size and build might matter too...well, more your weight I guess. I'm 185 on my best Sunday morning and the stock ESA suspenders are great. For good sport riding, I like "1 rider w/ luggage"....that's when I'm running empty panniers or no panniers. I find the handling and ability to hold a line spot-on.

The motor just sings, too. Such bliss running it up to 7-8k....just winding it out on the back roads and general hooligan behavior on this thing is great fun.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #63
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
Enough oomph to make the ride interesting, not enough to get into felony speeds.

The Harley guys I ride with are all amazed at how much the rear wheel can jump around without moving the bike at all.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #64
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrwh View Post

I wouldn't say the best handling bike I've ever owned but it does just fine. It is terribly fun to mess with guys on sportbikes though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
It does well, but it's no sportbike. It does surprisingly well for a big, heavy, low-powered bike.

But let me race my clone across the Cherohala Skyway; me on a 600cc sportbike and him on my GS/A, and I'll be at the end of the road, helmet off, and halfway through my Gatorade before he got there on the GS/A.

The GS bikes are a helluva lot of fun, but let's not go overboard overstating its capabilities.
I would qualify my earlier comment regarding GSA handling by saying its the best handling bike on a broad variety of surfaces like you would find in Mexico. It is especially stable when you hit bumps in the middle of corners and it can handle poor road surfaces very well.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #65
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,044
I only wanted to add one thing to what I posted earlier.

If I were not getting ESA, I would very likely buy a Yamaha Super Tenere instead. In fact, that was my decision process when I bought my GS a couple of months ago.

I love the ESA. It works and I use it pretty much every time I ride.

Without ESA, TO ME, the GS/A does not bring nearly enough to the table to justify the higher price compared to a SuperT. The GS is a great bike, but the SuperT is also a great bike. And it has much longer service intervals and much cheaper parts. Aftermarket luggage is just as good for either. The SuperT just needs a better windscreen and good luggage and it's just as good to go as any GS/A (non-ESA). The stock GS windscreen is okay, but the stock GS/A seat is a much bigger travesty than the stock SuperT windscreen, so you can't really say either one is "good to go" out of the box.

Anyway, all I'm saying is, if you're looking at a GS/A without ESA, you should at least have a look at the SuperT, too, before you plunk down your hard-earned.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #66
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I would qualify my earlier comment regarding GSA handling by saying its the best handling bike on a broad variety of surfaces like you would find in Mexico. It is especially stable when you hit bumps in the middle of corners and it can handle poor road surfaces very well.
I'd second this. Winter plays hell with our roads here in Vermont. Many times I've had sportbikes try to stay with me in the twisties, but when the pavement turns rough they back way off while I keep rockin'.

Love the GS/GSA for the conditions I ride in!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #67
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
GS vs GSA

I'm pondering this question myself at the moment.

I've owned an 07 GSA and now the F800 but am feeling myself lured towards a R1200GS (Triple Black).

One thing I'm trying to find out is if the GS can have the BMW GSA panniers fitted. My dealer said it could but I don't ever recall seeing one.
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #68
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver View Post
GS vs GSA

I've owned an 07 GSA and now the F800 but am feeling myself lured towards a R1200GS (Triple Black).

One thing I'm trying to find out is if the GS can have the BMW GSA panniers fitted. My dealer said it could but I don't ever recall seeing one.
All that is required to fit the GSA panniers on a GS is the GSA luggage rack. That rack will not accommodate the GS panniers though.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #69
taoman
Taoman

Oddometer: 60
Thumb

My 2008 R1200GS with lowered WESA shocks (2 1/2 inches) is way more nimble and "flickable" than my brand new R1200GSA with factory ESA- by a lot! I'm not saying the GSA isn't great- it is. All I am saying is the same thing that some German magazine reported when testing the lowered WESA . They reported that the lowered bike handled more like a sport bike. "Intuitive" and "Easy" come to mind when describing the difference between the two bikes. I will definitely lower the GSA when the time comes but probably only 1.6 inches. And by the way, I LOVE the new GSA. I think it's the best bike made IMHO. It really is just incredible in so many different aspects. It's why I had to buy one before they stopped making them.
taoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #70
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
All that is required to fit the GSA panniers on a GS is the GSA luggage rack. That rack will not accommodate the GS panniers though.
Sweet this is the answer I have have been looking for, thx!

How about the GSA top case on a GS?

The access from the Top and large enough for a helmet is a requirement for me. Plus I like the looks of the aluminum.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #71
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

The access from the Top and large enough for a helmet is a requirement for me. Plus I like the looks of the aluminum.

My medium Shoei Qwest fits in the BMW Adv. aluminum topcase...a bit snug and in diagonally, but it goes in with clearance on each side. I wouldn't ride with one in there as it would probably scuff the helmet up or something....but to lock it in there while away from the bike or something, its perfect.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #72
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Wade-O ,GSA all the way,especially if you are 6,4'...
-bigger tank
-better windprotection
-more legroom
-more ground-clearance which is good on/off road
-better handling due to steeper steering angle
-better/more comfortable stock seat
-stock crashbars/valvecover protectors
-stock mounting for aluminum cases
-shorter first gear
All that for a little harder push to park it in the garage...
Best bike I ever owned !
I would not get ESA but Ohlins TTX...much better !
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #73
CrownVic55
CrownVic55

Oddometer: 122
GSA Rack and Panniers on GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver View Post
GS vs GSA

I had the BMW GSA Rack andPanniers mounted on Caf'e Poser when I purchased it. So Yes, BMW dealers can do it or you could do it yourself. I am very glad I did.

Crownvic
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #74
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

The GSA top box requires the GSA rear luggage rack, which is over $300 with all the little hardware bits. It's probably the most sought after used part for these bikes.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #75
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
The GS and GSA: essentially the same bike with differing missions. Each equipped, adjusted and tuned by its mother, BMW, to meet one's unique riding needs and objectives. That's the beauty of the differing missions. This thread could (happily) go on forever as each of us has our own unique sense of need and objective.

By the way, I have the GSA boxes on my GS and love them.