Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #61
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
RIGHT ON PHIL!

Those pyramids were friggin cool man.

one request? More food pics

you just missed out on about 200 mm of rain in the last 7 days, hope your weather is much better.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #62
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Well we're under way again heading for the fabuled town of Puebla, of course lunch does get in the way so stopped in Rio Frio for a bite to eat

view from table

and because lil green booger has made demands

delicious sopa

In the morning after arriving I wandered over the Italian coffee house and had an excellent cup of coffee

but because Puebla is proud of having a huge number of churches it's time to climb on the big bus and take a gander at some of the far out ones

because I can be dazzled by bright colours I liked this one best

while riding the bus I managed to snap a picture of these guys, this is a common sight around the cities now, heavily armed police constantly on patrol, I made sure they didn't see me

Puebla is also very proud of the 5th of May which was the day 2000 Mexicans stood off 6000 French troops as they defended the city

but what they always fail to mention is that the
french returned the next year and whomped the snot out of them but the French are gone and history is always written by the winners

but back to the churches, another beauty maybe this was my favourite instead

a little closer look at some of the towers

and because man doesn't live by churches alone, as my sainted mother always says the last church picture, it is beautiful in the churches but the amount of money involved in their building and upkeep must be staggering

on to the museum of the revolution

I'll start the tour with a picture out one of the windows, why? just because I liked it!

every room in the house is joined to the next two by connecting doors also
ech room had a door onto the courtyard balcony

master bedroom

living room, very formal and cold feeling

courtyard

and the one everyones waiting for
the wall and mirror in the living room peppered with bullet holes where they were standing shooting down at the government troops, things never change do they

I finally managed to geta shot of the dragons on the lamps

tours over back to daysayuno

and the centro, it always amazes me how many people use them their always crowded, old people just nsitting watching, school kids doing their homework, lovers smooching, it's constant

Followi8ng round , down the road to Tehucan

Slowphil screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 03:11 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #63
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,595
Great pics, Phil!

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #64
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I just got your email Phil. I hope all is well and you are feeling better.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #65
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the comments guys

Yellowknife I can't remember if I answered you yet but I'm paying about 10.54 pesos per liter for gas. When the bike gets down 2 nbars I ususlly stop and fillup, runs me about 130 pesos. So yeah it is a lot cheaper than northern Canada

and Len yeah I'm back on the road tomorrow
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #66
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

There I was travelling down Mex 135 running through the little town of Tepanco minding my own business when a beautiful old church popped up on the side of the road so lets stop and have a little look

There were 3 old guys digging grass out of the cobblestones in the courtyard but I didn't think they'd appreciate having their picture taken so here's the beautiful old wood doors instead

after the old guys knocked off for lunch I got a picture of the courtyard

but off down the road, I mentioned before so many little towns had impressive entrances, this is the style on this road

I had decided to be off the road early today so stopped at Tehuacan, a surprisingly nice little town well worth a stop to see, stayed at the Hotel Plaza Iberia, Av Independencia Oriente #211. A beautoiful example of colonial era houses turned into hotels

upper interior balcony

courtyard scene at night

and the food in the restaurant is top knotch - Chiles En Nogada

went in to the church at the centro and stumbled into ths scene of marital bliss

the best shot though was tyhe flower girls trying to save the flowers

the centro was a happening place on a Saturday night

The Angel of Death is a real great guy to buy a prediction from but he was busy

clowns really made the crowd laugh

and this guy was trying to entice me into a store to buy something, he seemed so enthused I'd thought I'd snap a picture and he really liked that

I'm afraid that as in every night it started to bucket down rain, the crowds dis appeared, I had a cerveza and headed back to the colonial mansion

but one more because even rain doesn't stop mischief makers, the crowd that was gathered seemed to consider it part of Saturday night entertainment though

Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #67
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Well I continued down Mex 135 into Oaxaca and the scenery is magnificant

it just seemed to go on and on so I'll let it speak for itself

but with the good comes the bad, all the torrential rain has caused tremendous damage in this part of Mexico

I was moving quickly down a 4 lane section of road when a Detour sign appeared moving me onto this
now this was the best part of the whole detour it deteriorated quite quickly and quite badly. I was too busy trying to stay upright and get out of this place to get anymore pictures

There were no signs and many turns so after about 20 minutes I came up to a farmer who was actually very accurate in describing how to get back on the detour and out of the maze

Next: In Oaxaca
Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Just before going into any city centro I always check the gas and if need be fill up so following this golden rule I pulled into the next Pemex and topped up, I glanced down and there were some drops of oil under the bike. Had a real good look under the bike and came to the conclusion that oil was coming out the top of the rear shock. BAD, BAD NEWS. On with the trip

The next day it took me half a day to locate a Suzuki dealer, off I go with all sorts of bad feelings, when I finally found the place, it's actually a different address from the internet and phone book, more than a kilometer error but at least still on the circular road. The owner luckily spoke some English so we had a little discussion, went out to see the mechanic who looked at it, studied it carefully and said - no - theres nothing wrong its just chain oil. Well that made this man my favourite person

since that took all day I figured I would have supper and a beer in the centro and start touring the city in the morning
That night was the start of Montezuma's revenge, felt god awful in the morning and deteriorated from there, like really really bad

trying to get breakfast down, looks delicious but wasn't going down easy

went back to the room and slept

lunch was a bowl of sopa de pollo

some of the very few pictures I took of Oaxaca,market scene

Oaxaca centro in the rain

sweeping up the water so the tourists don't get their feet wet

my first and last beer in Oaxaca

the owner and people at the hotel where I stayed we're very very good to me, did my laundry for free and checked on me once in a while. I checked out Bakker's Hotel America which was directly across the street from my hotel, nice, clean and newly renovated but I managed to talk my hotel down to match the price and got a nicer room out of the deal. There has to be 20 hotels in 1 square block, so you can go by price or quality which either you want quite easily

looking down at the courtyard

no more food pictures, after I threw up on my plate in the first restaurant I ate outside to try and avoid making a mess, I managed to do it twice more but then such is life

managed to get to Monte Albin

ball court where they played their national sport, they played the length and up the sloping sides

one of the few stellas which seemed to have been there, the whole place
was very plain. You have to hand it to the natives they levelled the top of a mountain to build their city and it was pretty near impregnable

after a not very good time in Oaxaca (all my fault)it's off to Puerto Escondido
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #69
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great pictures
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #70
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Hope you're feeling better! We took a run to New France last night - you were missed! But, I think you're on a much grander adventure than we had! Ride safe!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #71
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,665
Really nice pics. Hope you continue feeling better. Sopa de pollo should help. That was my remedy on one of my trips. It was also about the only thing my brain wanted me to eat.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #72
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
sorry to hear you weren't feeling well Phil, I hope it's the worst that happens on your trip. That Sopa de Pollo sure looked good!

Yes, we were in to New France over the weekend, with Fred, and NSRider - was a good trip and even enjoyed a downpour.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #73
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
sorry to hear you weren't feeling well Phil, I hope it's the worst that happens on your trip. That Sopa de Pollo sure looked good!

Yes, we were in to New France over the weekend, with Fred, and NSRider - was a good trip and even enjoyed a downpour.
How come you guys wait until I turn my back to sneak off to New France, it was deliberate wasn't it. The soup was excellent, most of it is down here, I've run into some food I couldn't handle but not too much

Cheers
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #74
Rooster Cruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Hey Phil! Nice to see your still headed south! I met you in North Carolina at the Iron Horse motorcycle resort by the dragon's tail. I was the fat guy on the KLR heading back from Alaska! I just got back to work. It sucks! 3 months off was great! Keep going for those of us that can't! Nice to see you on here brother! Happy trails! I'll be keeping up with you on here...
Rooster Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
great photos

Looks like wonderful trip. Thanks for the great pictures. Take care and all the best.

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote