User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
HappyHighwayman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
HID light kit recommendation?

Do you have a recommendation for an HID light kit for the F800GS?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=light

you can begin your search in some old threads

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Touratech

I have their HID/Fog light combo and besides the steep price have been very happy with it. Big help on dark roads at night, have not been caught off road at night yet
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
m5guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I am running the 1OffMotorsport HID headlight conversion (low beam only) and a pair of ADVMonster Model 60 floods. The ADVMonsters are wired up to a dimmer so I can run them at whatever setting I need. With both the headlight and the Model 60s on full bright, I have no problem running at freeway speeds on unlit roads.
m5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,662
If your looking to replace your headlight blubs, I have the Cheep VVME slim digital ballast ones, I have had the same set (meaning I took them out of old bike and installed them in new bike) on 2 different bikes, no problems on the last 4 years. I run the 35w, never had a problem with overloading the computer circuit breakers. But I am only running low beam HID on current F800. I have the 5000 K color and have never had problems with police, but I would like to see the 4300 K because I bet they are more in line with current blub colors

If you looking to add lights, I would recommend looking at LED. someone else I know just went with ADVmonster lights. They are what I would buy.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 61
I have a 4300 K lamp kit.
No problem with police; be sure the lamp is H7-R (suitable for our reflector), not a simple H7.
Then, if you want to replace high beam to match the color, there are Osram lamps up to 4200 K.
For the other small lamp (sorry, but I don't know the correct word to name it) the best is a LED lamp, with diffusion lens, otherwise You're going to show only a frontal light spot instead to spread light into the reflector.
Note the CAN Bus have no current control onto that small lamp, so it's not required a CAN Bus compatible LED lamp.

I replaced the original reflector damaged by OEM lamps @ 37000 km.
The HID is the only solution to keep a lower temperature inside, without any sacrifice in terms of light...
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,637
After years of playing with HID's I have jumped ship to LED's. I was tired of dealing with the slow warm ups and expensive bulb replacements. I went to www.advmonster and bought there model 60's. At first I mounted them with my HID's. I quickly realized I could not tell the HID's were on when the LED's were on. So the HID's came off.

These lights are stupid bright. If you go this route, spend the extra money on the dimmer. So you can tone them down for street use. No worries though, when you hit the high beams they override the dimmer and go full blast. Instant Super Bright light. No warm up.

I assumed you were talking driving lights. But I would still use HID for a low beam H7 replacement. I used one on my GS. And it was fantastic. But I wouldn't for my hi beam. IT does not come up fast enough. If you still want HID, I will give you a deal on my old trailtech lights. Hell I will even thow in a 35 watt HID H7 with them. Cheers