User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #91
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,908
Gryphon,
You make some good points about why they are heavier now. The "numbers" are a bit misleading too, between years and/or brands. I look at the 06' CRF250X listed at 225 (dry) vs the 2012 at 253 (wet) and figure 20 lbs of that is the "wet" stuff.

Also, "where" that weight is on the bike affects the handling in a huge way, the lower it's placed the better. That was a big reason I sold my DRZ400S was because it was so "top heavy" and I always felf like it was trying to "pull me down" when things got tricky.

I think Dual sports are designed too tall also. The clearance & suspension is important for racing, but a lower saddle height makes a bike so much easier to handle and enables folks with shorter legs to ride them too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #92
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thanks, ER70! I'm considering several options for my DS. I have aspirations of, someday, riding the TAT. My skills need to grow a whole lot before then, so finding a bike I can learn on, now, and lower appropriately, and is in the same price range as the CRF250L, is key.

I agree about where the weight is placed on these bikes is important. I don't do well on top heavy bikes (hey, I'm only 5'2 and don't weight very much). Likely, I'd need help with a dropped bike anyway.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #93
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,154
Dirt noob here with little cash, I appreciate the review

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #94
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post
Looking forward to more of your test rides on both bikes, ggamster. As a shortypants rider (27" inseam, like your wife), I think the WRR would be way too tall for me. After reading through your thread on lowering the CRF250L, I have my eye on the Honda, now, because I want a light weight street legal bike with FI that fits my current riding abilities and, maybe, grow with me for a few years. (Am I asking too much?)

I'm a fairly new rider (learned last summer), and I have almost 6,000 miles on my first bike (Suzuki TU250X). I've been taking the TU on gravel and dirt roads in the last few months, and she's actually doing fairly well. No trail riding yet, my bike isn't set up for that (and I really want to take a couple of dirt riding classes before I tackling anything more than the country back roads).
I think this is the perfect bike for what you are looking for. That is exactly what we wanted and I think that is what we have. Lindsay (my wife) spent all weekend riding it and absolutely loved it. She told me that she would be very upset if I tried to sell it. I flip a lot of bikes and never get very attached to any of them. For her to say that means she really loves the bike! If you lived closer I would have you test this one out but I think you are quite a ways away.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #95
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Can you please comment on the handlebar vibrations each bike transmits? I am most interested in the Honda.

For reference, I have a DRZ that vibrates like mad above 50MPH. Others have commented the CRF is smooth and doesn't translate much vibration at all.

I don't find there to be much of any on either bike. You know someone can always complain about something but this isn't one of the things I notice when riding these two bikes.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #96
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Can you please comment on the handlebar vibrations each bike transmits? I am most interested in the Honda.

For reference, I have a DRZ that vibrates like mad above 50MPH. Others have commented the CRF is smooth and doesn't translate much vibration at all.

That is likely a tire issue. Have you tried different tires and/or balancing them?

Or do you think it's engine vibes? Maybe the bike is geared too low for 50+mph.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #97
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 26
Gawga boy here enjoying the reviews. I was upset to read about the new Honda coming out right after my purchase of the NOS Kawi 260 S model but after reading this I think I am about right to just keep if till it wears out. The KLX is about the way you describe the WR and because I AM smaller overall than you I think it fits similar to the way you described the CFR, because at five nine I don't feel that cramped but I can stand up on it fairly good. I'd probably like the height of the CFR better though but that is fixable cheap.

We have a gal who rides street with us on a CFR 230 L and has the motard set up . She is a tiny thing and even on it is tippy toed but was interested in the new 250. Because she weighs so little she can really haul with the CFR on the twistes in the hills down here and as such really has become one of the faster gals around . All that is just to suggest that weight of the bike is not everything , the total weight of the rider and bike is what counts and decides if you can ride these bikes on a big road and be satisfied. My KLX for instance with me on board is good for barely the highest speed limit around and that is wide open so I trailer it from the burbs in Atlanta up to the hills and ride DS up there with my pals on , sometimes larger scoots like the DZ 400, the bike BTW that I'd probably have bought if I could have reached the ground at all., LOL

Anyway it was a very USEFUL thread and thank you for your effort and patience with the detractors and I don't need add to that discussion as it is just typical today on forums.

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #98
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Gawga boy here enjoying the reviews. I was upset to read about the new Honda coming out right after my purchase of the NOS Kawi 260 S model but after reading this I think I am about right to just keep if till it wears out. The KLX is about the way you describe the WR and because I AM smaller overall than you I think it fits similar to the way you described the CFR, because at five nine I don't feel that cramped but I can stand up on it fairly good. I'd probably like the height of the CFR better though but that is fixable cheap.

We have a gal who rides street with us on a CFR 230 L and has the motard set up . She is a tiny thing and even on it is tippy toed but was interested in the new 250. Because she weighs so little she can really haul with the CFR on the twistes in the hills down here and as such really has become one of the faster gals around . All that is just to suggest that weight of the bike is not everything , the total weight of the rider and bike is what counts and decides if you can ride these bikes on a big road and be satisfied. My KLX for instance with me on board is good for barely the highest speed limit around and that is wide open so I trailer it from the burbs in Atlanta up to the hills and ride DS up there with my pals on , sometimes larger scoots like the DZ 400, the bike BTW that I'd probably have bought if I could have reached the ground at all., LOL

Anyway it was a very USEFUL thread and thank you for your effort and patience with the detractors and I don't need add to that discussion as it is just typical today on forums.

Thanks again
Thank you. I understand what you are saying about the weight of the rider. This weekend my wife and I went out for a 50 mile ride on the back roads around the house. She would pull away from me on the straightaways. Her bike is down on power and heavier and I am a better rider but I was having a hard time keeping up with her until we hit the turns. She is loving the bike. I am loving the WR so all is good.

I have been riding both bikes and have over 1000 miles on the WR now. What a cool motorcycle. I ride about 15 miles a day off road on the WR and this thing is doing so good. It is starting to rev easier and the suspension is cycling better. I am able to move the bike well for it's weight I love it! The honda will never compare.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #99
dct3416
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey ggamster, any pictures of both bikes together? It would be great if you could post a few.
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #100
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
For those looking at a WRR/WRX, you really need to do the needed mods to get this bike to show its real colors. In stock form, it truly is <50% of its potential.

1. De smog the bike (evap, AIS, and airbox mod)
2. Add a exhaust(pick your sound level) and then add a fuel controller(FMF, Power Commander, etc).
3. Have the suspension done. The stock suspension is quite soft, and in no way is appropriate for much over 150lbs rider. This is a great bike, but the suspension valving is very poor. In the case of shorter owners like me, have it professionally lowered. The bike comes with a rear lowering adjustment of a total of 1" seat height via the bottom of the shock. A pro can lower the front and rear another 3-4". I have a friend that just lowered 3" and is thrilled with the fit.
4. Additionally, the seat can get you another 1-2" of lowering via cutting the foam or buying new seat/foam that is lower. I have the Seatconcept seat which is ~1" lower and has some soft foam in it. It is very comfy, even with 8hrs in the saddle.

The bike is fantastic and looks bulletproof.
The first mod to the WRR is re gearing it. The stock gearing is Waaaaayy long.
A 13/47 ... 13/48 is ideal IMO.

With way long i mean too long, it should come stock with 13/47... with the stock gearing against a STRONG head wind on highway i had to go down to fifth and then down to fourth gear for it to pull...

kyns screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 04:42 AM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #101
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Thanks for the Comparison

I bought a used WRr this March for a great price. It is hands down the best MC I've ever owned. I can only have one bike due to space and finances. So I need a bike that can commute, and do the trails (5000 miles on the street 750 in the dirt). My commute is 80 miles round trip, so maintenance intervals are important as well. I don't get as much trail time as I would like, but I do get out on them whenever I can, and on longer planned off-road trips I spoon on the Trackmasters. That is my reality, and why it makes a bike like the WRr or CRF250l the best options for me.

If I were buying new, it would have been the CRF as it would suit my needs as a bike and the price is significantly lower. KTM may make excellent bikes, but they are not in the same category as these bikes. Certainly they are superior off road, and in overall power, but that was not what I was looking for. I got what I was looking for, fuel injection, very low maintenance on a versatile dual sport machine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #102
pantera1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
What Windscreen Is That?

byron555, what windscreen do you have on the WRR?
pantera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #103
Sh0nky
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for this write up ggamster!

I'm tossing up between a second hand WR250R and a new CRF250L and have a few questions. I'm 5'10" and 195lb. 32" inseam. I'm guessing from this the WR is probably going to be a better fit, but I could be comfortable enough on both. Would you disagree with this?

I expect to be doing around 3-4000 miles a season (I'm in central iowa below I80, so I'm thinking march until October/November) and intend to service it once at the start of each year, so I don't think miles between service is going to be a huge issue.

I intend to commute to work and back when I can, 8miles of paved roads, 3m of that is 55mph. That would make up 2-3000Miles. I'm expecting the gas savings from the commute instead of driving my F150 will pretty much pay for the bike. This makes it easier to convince the wife that I need one. But then I intend to enjoy a variety of level B access roads and gravel the rest of the time.

How do you find servicing between the two? Is one much easier than the other in terms of access to the engine etc? Are parts roughly the same price?

I was originally drawn to the CRF, I've owned 3 other Hondas and liked them, but after reading your posts I'm starting to lean more towards a second hand yamaha. It seems that a barely used WR with a full aftermarket exhaust is about the same as a new stock CRF. The adjustable suspension and the history of the Yamaha are also a plus.

Are there any other factors that I should consider? I'm not going to be pushing this bike hard by any stretch of the imagination. It probably wont go over 65 very often if at all, and this will be my first DS bike (Unless you count a CT110 lol) so I don't think I will be going too hard on the trails.

Thanks again for the write up, it's been very informative.
Sh0nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #104
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
These bikes are so different! The WR is such a fantastic machine, and I totally marvel how some inmates actually tour on theirs! My CRF230L is a girlie machine in contrast. But, I bought the CRF for it's ease of use, i.e. the low seat height and relaxed wheelbase geometry (and I'm a sucker for air-cooled Honda's). I've ridden the Yammie and I can't imagine a better bike that truly deserves the moniker, "dual purpose". And for you orange guys, let's see a pic of your 250 machines after a cross-country trek. Just sayin'..... ,K
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #105
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1 View Post
byron555, what windscreen do you have on the WRR?
That is an opaque black windscreen for a BMW 650 dakar. It has some custom cuts to fit the WRr better and uses mounts from a memphis shades brand windscreen. Solid and removes in about 1 minute. Works unbelievably well. On the interstate it reduced head shake, increased mpg, and improved power.

bought it here
http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...F650Stock%6003
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote