User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,444
Buying a new F700GS?

Okay you guys, anything I should know? Is this a good idea? I'm a road guy, who always rides solo, but would like to "explore" the odd gravel/fire road. Don't need the additional dirt worthiness of the F800, besides I find it a little too tall for me. I'm presently riding a 650 Bandit. Looking forward to ABS, heated grips...and all the toys.
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Okay you guys, anything I should know? Is this a good idea? I'm a road guy, who always rides solo, but would like to "explore" the odd gravel/fire road. Don't need the additional dirt worthiness of the F800, besides I find it a little too tall for me. I'm presently riding a 650 Bandit. Looking forward to ABS, heated grips...and all the toys.
Lyle
do it and never look back
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
Sounds like the bike for you!!

Ryan
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Agcountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
+1

This forum is great for informations, sharing stuff etc. but reading all the "problem" threads can make you kind of suspicious and you start to overthink the whole thing. These bikes are great. Every bike has a problem and this forum will tell you the solutions. Ten years ago we had no internet and still bought our bikes because we liked them, test rode them and that's it. No second thoughts or that stuff. Buy it, Ride it and be happy! Don't let the ADV paranoia get you!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
thus it could be dangerous if a deer would cross the road at that particular moment!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Just a thought. F700

I also gave the F700 a good hard chunk of thought and finally went with the F800 GS. Only have it now for 3 weeks. This being said it is my first adventure style bike and i too thought i wouldn't be doing too much off-road stuff. But now, i have to say this BMW just wants to go off the beaten path any chance it or i can get! I actually have to stop myself from going too wild before i get a set of crash bars!
I hope this helps your process!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
aint_life_grand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I bought my F650 back in march. I was a little torn between f800 at the time. I was honest with myself about the use it'd see and went with the f650. Been commuting 60 miles daily, 8k for total miles, and it's been a dream. My commute is a combo of highway and twisty backroads, it's fun on both. Maybe over the winter I'll even add a farkle or two.
aint_life_grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
The basic design is great and it looks like BMW have taken care of some of the issues, time will tell.
The ABS is very, very good and it will save you.
The heated grips are something I thought were ridiculous until the first time I used them at around 0c.
The onboard computer is ok, the tire pressure monitor is handy and about as accurate as you'll find any guage to be.
You'll find parts and service more expensive than the Bandit.
If you are on a Suzuki, have you tried a V-Strom 650? Surprisingly good bike for the money.
I have an 09 650 and I can tell you, having seen the F700, they have made the windshield worse (I actually thought that was not possible) and the seat is the same POS it was before.
If you buy one, get a decent windshield, an Airhawk for the seat, a guard or some sort for the headlight and also for the oil filter and heat exhanger, that will run you about $500 or so.
If you opt for the F700, you will be very surprised at how capable the bike is on dirt roads and rough surfaces.
Ride the Suzuki and the F700 back to back, take a look at the savings with the Suzuki and what it will buy you in accessories and then make your choice.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,444
Hi Mikemike. I did get a bit of saddle time on the wee storm. I know they have a "cult following". Our problem with Suzuki (and the Bandit has been bloody GREAT) is the only dealer in the area (still a 2.5 hour ride, like the BMW dealer) sells cars as their main business. They don't stock much in the way of support. However, up in Canada, we do get all the colours! Even the white one. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the Beemer, is I have a DR650, and the Bandit is SO capable on the highways. That, and it could snow here any time....GRRRrrrr!
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
thus it could be dangerous if a deer would cross the road at that particular moment!

oh.... who said the 800 can't handle snow?

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #12
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Also considering trading in my DR650 for an F700GS and waiting for them to arrive at my local dealer. I have been for a spin on a F650GS which is same dimensions etc and was impressed how the bike handles and it felt like a bike I had ridden for years in the first couple of km's.
Also going to have a test ride on the F800 but after sitting on one today they do feel like a much bigger bike than the F650. From all what I have read on here and other forums it seems the F650/F700 is the pick for mostly road use. Also a $3000 difference in price here in Oz.
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Also considering trading in my DR650 for an F700GS and waiting for them to arrive at my local dealer. I have been for a spin on a F650GS which is same dimensions etc and was impressed how the bike handles and it felt like a bike I had ridden for years in the first couple of km's.
Also going to have a test ride on the F800 but after sitting on one today they do feel like a much bigger bike than the F650. From all what I have read on here and other forums it seems the F650/F700 is the pick for mostly road use. Also a $3000 difference in price here in Oz
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
The F700GS is a great bike.
The WeStrom is similar. I looked at one carefully before I bought an F650GS. The We is a bit heavier, a bit less powerful, does not handle quite as well, is likely more reliable, is a fair amount cheaper, has no where near as many farkles available.

I am VERY happy with my F650GS, now with over 30k miles on it. It can cruse 85mph all day (500+ miles) in comfort, id very good in the mountain twisties, and is great on dirt roads. The limit on single track is tires (easily fixed). It's only short coming(if you consider it that) is it has less ground clearance/suspension travel. This is only important if you are climbing over rocks/logs etc or intend to jump the bike or do big whoops. The taller suspension makes the bike much taller (ok if you are over 6 ft or so) significantly raises the c of g, which degrades pavement handling tin the twisties a bit.

It really depends on how you want to ride, which bike is best
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Loved my 2009 F650GS (was not smart and traded it for a R1200GS ) so I went back this year and bought a 2012 F650GS and am now a happy camper again.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote