Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #121
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I love it, are those Harris Mags?
If I remember correctly, Harris makes frames and swing arms and Morris made the mag wheels.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #122
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Nice bike, but that's a hijack if I ever saw one

Heh, I was thinking the same thing last night but didn't want to steal your thunder
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #123
yzergod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Sorry for the huge hijack! I've been following this build for a while and dig the color, custom seat, and rear end. I really didn't care for the look of most of these trashed old bike, but I love the new life given to this one and wanted to share mine.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #124
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod View Post
Sorry for the huge hijack! I've been following this build for a while and dig the color, custom seat, and rear end. I really didn't care for the look of most of these trashed old bike, but I love the new life given to this one and wanted to share mine.
Okay, you have redeemed yourself with this one

I'm done and riding, except I'll be repainting this winter. Playing with different options, as long as I can keep my white stripe. Painting plastics and tins only.

I can get a nice chrome illusion for labor only, but i don't think it will go with the bike. After changing hue in my photo software, I kinda dig orange-ish and green-ish colors with the white.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #125
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

If I may ask:

What would you guys put the value of this bike as? My insurance goes by "fair market value" but offers the option to select "custom" and goes by what I tell them. of course, it has to be within reason.

Thanks.

By the way, i ride the bike now almost daily (although only short distances) and I'm loving it. Although, i have this strange notion that I can make a 1979 CX500 nicer than this
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #126
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
If I may ask:

What would you guys put the value of this bike as? My insurance goes by "fair market value" but offers the option to select "custom" and goes by what I tell them. of course, it has to be within reason.
I can't speak to values in your area. But you need to be insured for the value that you think it would cost to replace the bike considering all that you put into it.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #127
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

My recently finished CB is undergoing a second reincarnation of sorts. I did not really grow fond of the paint, so she is now bare metal (again), soon going to a pro for new coat of paint. Not sure of the color yet, but I'll be keeping the same scheme, as with the center white stripe.

Other than that, the front fender is chopped a little shorter (pics to follow when it's done), and I'm contemplating a different headlight (I got a nice dual light off a Buell), along with a different exhaust (maybe) as I have a nice set of Remus cans off a Ducati. If only I could find some header pipes in a decent shape (and cheap) I could weld together for a 4-2 exhaust setup.

But, at least I got a good set of carbs now:

While I was waiting for parts for me CX 500 Project, I decided to overhaul the carbs on my CB750F. A while ago, I bought a spare set, so this downtime was the perfect opportunity to make these like new again.

First, I ordered a set of new rubber parts, jets, and O-rings for crossover pipes. Unfortunately, Honda does not sell these individually. The only place I was able to find a complete kit was from Randakk's, but I ultimately decided to go a different route. His kit is amazing, well priced, and has all the rubber components, but I also needed pilot screws, and a few other things, so I searched the web and acquired different pieces from different places. This may prove to be unwise in the end, but only time will tell.

So, my spare carbs started life looking like this, after sitting outside for some time:

Eventually, after different cleaning methods, hours of playing with brushes, and buffing wheels with polishing compounds, I ended up with this:

And, a couple of hours later, looking like this:

These carbs were completely overhauled, and all fasteners were replaced with stainless steel, buttonhead screws. Of course, I used Loctite to prevent seized fasteners down the line. Not only the new screws look better, but they also allow for an easier removal vs the old, Phillips head kind.

I can't wait to get this set of carbs on and try them.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #128
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
After picking up a set of Mikuni CR32s at a garage one might, and having held my stock carb set (like yours) I decided if only the weight difference was my only benifit it would still be worth the swap. I bought a new set of the CR race carbs, smooth bores, for my 1979 CB750F and was amazed at the power gains all across the board when I got it jetted right. Plus I was amazed at how much different and lighter the bike felt after ditching the stock carbs and airbox!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #129
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
I came across this picture last night and thought of this thread. This DOHC looks really cool and is a surprisingly "mild" custom. Looks to be a K model because of the drum brake, unless it's a custom, can't see if it's shaft dive or not.

1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #130
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 66,482
You can see the lower chain run at about 4 o'clock in the rear wheel.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #131
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Even though I completed the CB750F last year, the original color choice - Bahama Blue - never grew on me. Well, I did like it at first, but I got sick of it as time progressed.

So, without further ado, here is the CB750F with a new coat of paint:

Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #132
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
I like that much better. Looks good, man.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #133
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks. It's a dark, Subaru green. Small silver speckles in it, but it almost looks like dark blue with the right light.

These pics are prior to polishing and waxing. The paint is only a few days old, so I had to take it easy. Wetsanded with 2000 and hit it lightly with buffing compound. next is Mequiars polishing and some wax (after a while).
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #134
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Converting from single to a dual seat

Time has come to sell my CB750F. After crafting the bike's single seat design a year ago, I had to change a thing or two. Well, the buyer really wanted to have the option to ride the bike 2up, while still retaining the possibility to keep it as a single seat machine for his leisure rides alone. He was looking for an easy way to change from one seat to the other, and that meant that the stock solution was out of the question.

To do this, I had to relocate the taillight and the rear turn signals, as they were attached to the rear cowl. This way, lights and license plate would stay attached at the same place regardless of the seat choice.

First, since there was no rear fender (the cowl acted as a fender), I had to make one. Fiberglass being the material of choice (no matter how much I hate working with it, it is pretty damn versatile as far as materials go), I laid down two layers of cloth with two layers of mat sandwiched between them.

And after trimming all the excess off:
Here is the fender mounted on the bike:
Next it was time to come up with a seat design. I did not want the seat to look out of place on the bike, so I decided to copy the frame contours with fender and all. This is the first protective layer of duct tape (to make sure no resin would get where it does not belong), which was followed by a cardboard cutout of the desired seat shape, taped over and held in place by wire.
Here are the first few layers of mat.
After trimming excess and shaping the sides of the seat pan to follow the frame:
Followed by a quick sanding with 60 grit to provide for some "bite" and two more layers of mat. This one has five layers of mat and two layers of cloth. Plenty strong for two people.
Final seat shaping (the front drops down more to accommodate for the gap between frame and side covers).
I got the foam from two old seats I had in the garage (one was not long enough). Front section is nice plush, with rear being made of a firmer base (there is not as much material due to the rear frame crossbracket). The two pieces of foam were glued together, then belt-sanded smooth and contoured. The final shape was then covered in a 1/2" foam tro provide uniform appearance and hide any foam repairs I had to do here and there)
And, a quick mockup with some white vinyl I had around. The buyer will be taking the seat to a pro upholstery shop for a white seat with green stitching.
The small rear fender now holds the taillight, while turn signals drop down from the frame on small brackets. To change from a dual to single seat, all that has to be done is to pop the side covers, remove two bolts (holding seat to the frame), replace seat, and attach rear cowl with two bolts. Total of 6 bolts and maybe fifteen minutes. Voila.