Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #91
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
I believe the "10% power increase" when I see it. Husky also claimed "20% more power" with TE630 over TE610, but imo, it never materialized, not even close.

Marketing dept. % numbers won't move the bike, actual measured horsepower (hp) and torque (Nm) will.

I hope they can prove the 58hp true, but won't hold my breath...

FinnDuro screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 01:58 AM
FinnDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #92
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
So any thoughts on the 570 as RTW tourer Lukas? I love everything about that bike except my fear that it'd never make 20K miles. Prove me wrong though! Add an oil cooler, drop the compression a bit (I'd be fine with the power of the 450) how many miles do think you could get out of one if you were trying?
One of the outback owners over here has fitted a 600+ cc kit to his 570 which gives it identical compression to the 390, allowing it to handle the bit crappier fuel sometimes picked up out there. Last if read, he was very happy with it.

Barton has down over 30,000 (miles I presume) on his 570 with valve adjustments only. Lukas can give more info on this.

I am sweating on the spec of the forks and shock on the Husky 650, really hoping it is a lot better than the XChallenge was.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #93
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,153
Very positive first UK review from MCN; they say the build quality and finish is excellent, and the bike is a lot of fun. They also quote the 58bhp figure, as well as 59ftlb of torque (regular G650 is about 44ftlb?).

They say modded FI, lighter forged piston, bigger valves, modded cams and increased compression ratio.

Say it rides like a twin on open roads, not lumpy at all. Fuel economy is quoted at 63mpg (imperial) at a steady 74mph, so 190 miles even when riding quickly.

They like the Brembo brakes (ABS can be turned off) and the flickable nature of the chassis.

Front forks are USD Sachs (non-adjustable), rear is Sachs adjustable for preload and damping.

Factory accessories are: screen, h/guards, panniers/box, h/grips, crash bars, and alarm. No mention of bash plate, but it would seem natural to add one.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 04:01 AM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #94
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
No mention of bash plate, but it would seem natural to add one.
They better come up with something to protects its belly - did you see whats under there - fresh air

http://www.cycleworld.com/olgallery/77456/77463
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #95
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,282
It is a BMW. You are supposed to accesorize the bike with stuff like skid plates, hand guards, etc. BMW riders live for that. So you Husky riders need to get with the program and look for a new page in the Twisted Throttle catalog.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #96
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Yah,BMW has kind of dis-appeared Husqvarna from what I see,they put that weird alice 450 engine into a Husqvarna labeled package,I think they jumped the shark on that one,way too heavy,oddball clutch on crank and some other neato things that just arent needed on a dirt bike. Dirtbike guys know better and will avoid it like the plague.

This 650 Terra could be good,if it weighs 400+ lbs and costs 9000.00 then its in twin territory pretty much,it looks neat but its a shame to abandon the old Husky 630 engine.

Im hoping for the direct injected 2 strokes that are rumored to be in the pipeline.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #97
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
..... Im hoping for the direct injected 2 strokes that are rumored to be in the pipeline.
That will get me into a Husky dealer ...... assuming I can find one within a light year of Annapolis.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #98
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Husky site has finally been updated again. They now have dual sport and dual purpose categories. The site isn't 100%, but if you select the RANGE button, you see all 5 categories, because the main selection page still says "dual sport" twice.
http://www.husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/index.php

New dual purpose category listed.
http://www.husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/range.php
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #99
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Man do I ever hate the ass end of that bike. That sport bike looking appendage is just wrong hanging off the back of a supposedly offroad capable bike.

I know, opinions are like.........
They have to do something like that in order to get it street legal. The manufacturers don't do it for style points, they do because governments make them do it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #100
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Good, that will get me to 359lbs. There has to be some additional pipe in there connecting the muffler to the other one. The rear fender, barends, mirrors, passenger pegs, and I'm sure I could find more would be next. Very doable!
Swap out the stock battery for a new lightweight Shorai.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #101
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Yep, already thinking about that, Yossarian!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #102
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Why are people so concerned about making a 400+ lbs motorcycle lighter? It doesn't have the TE suspension, and it's over 150 lbs more than an offroad vehicle should weigh. So, what's the point if you get it from 407 to 360, seriously? If this is a concern, why not buy the TE511 and shorten the suspension 4-5" and get a more comfortable seat made?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #103
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
Why are people so concerned about making a 400+ lbs motorcycle lighter? It doesn't have the TE suspension, and it's over 150 lbs more than an offroad vehicle should weigh. So, what's the point if you get it from 407 to 360, seriously? If this is a concern, why not buy the TE511 and shorten the suspension 4-5" and get a more comfortable seat made?
Where do you even begin to answer such a question, if you cannot tell the difference when a bike weighs 50 lbs less?

But I'll try cause I'm nice like that: the idea is to have a bike that is not a fat overweight pig (407 lbs) yet does not need an engine rebuild every x,000 miles like the TE (maybe 1x,000 if you are lucky?).

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #104
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Specs say it has a Marelli EFI.
The BMW's have Bosh, right?

Husky's EFI's are tuner friendly, correct?

My X-Challenge like many modern BMW's was plagued with stalling/starting EFI bugs and BMW's locked down software sucked.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #105
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Where do you even begin to answer such a question, if you cannot tell the difference when a bike weighs 50 lbs less?

But I'll try cause I'm nice like that: the idea is to have a bike that is not a fat overweight pig (407 lbs) yet does not need an engine rebuild every x,000 miles like the TE (maybe 1x,000 if you are lucky?).
Because it's still not going to be the off road worthy bike people seem to expect. It's like starting backwards and never getting it to where you want, but you can actually take the TE and make it something you want and it will still weigh 50+ lbs less than the Terra and be better both on and offroad.

Does anyone have stats on engine rebuild with the TE's, or is this just speculation, because if you check the things done to make the BMW engine get 10+ more HP, it looks like it puts in in the same realm as needing work done as the TE. Over a 12 on compression.

I tried this on my DR650 years ago, and it NEVER really became more capable. Lighter headlight, rear fender, now this shoria battery, lighter exhaust. It's still a pig with lipstick. Sure, i can tell when a bike weighs 50 lbs less, but if the suspension isn't made to hack the terrain, and the cases get hung up on things a TE won't, the point is you got the wrong bike. Believe me, I'm seriously looking at this as a contender, but I can keep my DR if I want a passenger, and get the TE because it's just more capable overall.