Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #871
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Well, I raced the GNCC event at Unadilla with Paul's Nav tower and it survived with no visible damage or issue. The morning race had 600 people on the start line, which was a record for GNCC they said. My row had over 60 riders on it

Action shot with the Nav tower.....

The course was 8 miles of nasty wiods trails and national MX track, it was destroyed Whoops, rocks, roots, big decents, long boney climbs and lots of traffic. Lot's and lot's of bumping and collisions with other riders, one tossing me on the ground hard enough to bend my hand guard but the nav tower was unharmed. I'll test the HDPE side plates at the next Enduro to see how they hold up to that kind of abuse.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #872
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
nice Pics !!!

TLD VEGAS gear !!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #873
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
nice Pics !!!

TLD VEGAS gear !!!!
I bought the set on Ebay for $100 TLD stuff is really nice, really fits me well.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #874
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post

We can't see the nav tower on that pict, there's a bug on the lens ...

At least it was a dry day ...

Actualy, it would be better if we had the picture of that nav tower after few demolition partys ...

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 01:27 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #875
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,060
A little update, we went for 80mi ride rocky roads and not only survived but one side of the mount I loctited, the other without, none were loose and that's with roadbook holder and w/o lower mount.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #876
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,181
I like the possible cost factor in this mount !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #877
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Also received these goodies before Tony hit Australia.

Plan on a minimal aluminum cases, HDPE mounts to the aluminum chassis and spring loaded mount that will slide back to open RB holder to get the 18mm high digits as close as possible to the RB mileage numbers.

Thoughts?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #878
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

Also what kid of weight savings do you get???
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #879
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Also received these goodies before Tony hit Australia.

Plan on a minimal aluminum cases, HDPE mounts to the aluminum chassis and spring loaded mount that will slide back to open RB holder to get the 18mm high digits as close as possible to the RB mileage numbers.

Thoughts?
Put me down for this set up Paul, I like it!

I'm going to mount up my RB on the HDPE version for an Enduro coming up to see if I can snap it off the bike
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #880
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
We can't see the nav tower on that pict, there's a bug on the lens ...

At least it was a dry day ...

Actualy, it would be better if we had the picture of that nav tower after few demolition partys ...

Paul Jr 8
Well, I had a guy crash in front of me and I hit the ground pretty hard and the mount didn't budge. Tangled with another guy trying to pass on a hill climb and dumped it with no problems. Watch the video and see the crash and how nasty the terrain was....I'm the guy on the left at the start by the way, not the rider
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #881
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Thoughts?
Looks good, but that vertical-ish leading edge is the kinda thing I'd want to eliminate.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #882
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Well, I had a guy crash in front of me and I hit the ground pretty hard and the mount didn't budge. Tangled with another guy trying to pass on a hill climb and dumped it with no problems. Watch the video and see the crash and how nasty the terrain was....I'm the guy on the left at the start by the way, not the rider
Hilarious this start line hey ??? The rider you fell on didn't have much choice but to kiss the ground too

Maybe it's the video maker that should have tested the Nav Tower He fell so often ... I'm on the impression you lapped him ...

Question: The rider with the blue smoke ... Is that a squid tactic ??? Kind of throwing ink so you can't follow him ...

Video do not give justice to that terrain. It is certainly far more difficult then it look on the video just by counting fallen riders ...

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 10:29 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #883
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,786
ok, the video is !! The terrain sure looks easy on the video but I am sure it was a rider in hell there ...

It certainly looks nice Paul. The spring loaded mechanism. Would that be ok in an application like this? I just wonder if it is better to have it 5mm above to clear the roadbook and have it bolted there. It needs to be tested but from my point of view you have all the testers you need Even if you make the spring mechanism, remember that people with their own nav towers may want to use them so an all round approach may be needed here. The RB on the drawing looks like an F2R model (the wide side on the right) but since other people may use other RB's then they have to adjust the position of the tripmeters accordingly, that why I suggest the above approach. Unless it will be like a combo, so you forget the above paragraph

The leading edge that jesusgatos also says is something that I would either remove or make another bend to extend it horizontally in order to avoid damage to the rider if something happens ( I presume is aluminium no? ). Either that or you can put a rubber much like the one they put on the screens? Another way would be to have a teardrop hem to avoid the knife effect of the thing... Either way, even with the safety part that breaks in case of an accident, that edge may be enough to cause damage...

What would be the functions of the tripmeters? Just KM and reset or other funtctions as well ? Looking forward to the final product
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #884
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

I'm hoping someone in the US will start making roadbooks.
I bent the frame of my F2R and it would be nice to be able to order just the frame. Unfortunately, they don't offer frames as repair parts.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #885
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Still working things out and will post up a link when it's all ready, but the aluminum variant complete bolt on with the plastic fairing less then $500, need to finish this first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Also what kid of weight savings do you get???
The aluminum side plates, lower side plates and lower mount comes in at around 1.5lbs, the 2 HDPE side plates come in at less then 1/2lb

This is from a 440mi dual sport ride we did weekend before last, the HDPE variant will be staying on my bike for now, it's working out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Looks good, but that vertical-ish leading edge is the kinda thing I'd want to eliminate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
The leading edge that jesusgatos also says is something that I would either remove or make another bend to extend it horizontally in order to avoid damage to the rider if something happens ( I presume is aluminium no? ). Either that or you can put a rubber much like the one they put on the screens? Another way would be to have a teardrop hem to avoid the knife effect of the thing... Either way, even with the safety part that breaks in case of an accident, that edge may be enough to cause damage...

What would be the functions of the tripmeters? Just KM and reset or other funtctions as well ? Looking forward to the final product
I was in a hurry yesterday to get to my daughters volleyball game so I just suppressed the features of the chassis mount that I wasn't ready to show, still playing with the RB rollcage idea, that edge is what was left over, it won't be like that when I finish it, that would be like a guillotine.

I want to move the display down as close to the roadbook as possible so at glance I can see both numbers, Tony from http://www.rallyenavigationsolutions.com/ was kind enough to fab up the boards with the new 18mm tall digits. I'll have more on that as I get this done. So the spring load thing will need a bit of going through before it's ready for prime time, but it's the direction I'm headed in now.