Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #241
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Trout Lake Camping Trip

A couple of pics from this weekend--

This last pic of Eagle Gorge was taken at 6pm on Sunday and me and Mr. K were still almost 4 hours from home!

From there we boogalooed up the 25 Road to Randle then swooshed across 12 all the way to I-5, then under the cover of darkness we bombed 5 to Tacoma. Nice having the big GS rig for those high speed runs back to the barn--GPS says that we hit 82.2mph somewhere along there and I believe it.

Queen Bee had a bowl of mush ready for when we got home. Kirby got chicken!
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #242
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Loving it!!

I'd never really considered a hack before I saw yours, fantastic looking machine !

What does your wife think of the ride quality in the sidecar? I ask because mine has back problems, so I'm trying to find the best option for buying a new to me bike.

Maybe if you took her instead of Kirby you'd have got the chicken!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #243
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
I'd never really considered a hack before I saw yours, fantastic looking machine !

What does your wife think of the ride quality in the sidecar? I ask because mine has back problems, so I'm trying to find the best option for buying a new to me bike.

QB thinks the sidecar is totally comfortable even over long stretches and even on rough backcountry roads. Others who've sat there agree.

The secret is some very expensive seat foam (this stuff) from Sargent Seats. I used 2" of it in the bottom of the seat on top of 2" of regular seat foam, and 1" of it in the back of the seat over 2" of regular foam. But hold onto your wallet--that much Atomic Foam cost $125! I had a boat upholstery shop do the rest of the work. I don't regret spending the big bucks on this upgrade since it came out great and it does seem to make a big difference to the Queen Bee.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #244
Farmer1949
Out standing in his field

Oddometer: 217
More details on this atomic foam please.....Did you buy a piece from Sargent and then have the boat shop install?
I need to upgrade the seat in or SC and am very interested in this option...

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #245
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Yup, that's exactly what I did. If you click on the link I provided, the basic info is there. Measure up your seat then call Sargent on the phone and they'll tell you what thicknesses they sell and how much it costs.

An alternate solution is to use some of the stuff that private pilots use in small planes. Here's a link to an aviation-targeted foam supplier catering to us amateurs.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #246
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post

I am also considering some type of springs or a springy medium under the seat, seat suspension, if you will. May be more cost effective.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #247
Farmer1949
Out standing in his field

Oddometer: 217
Drone...

Thanks for the quick reply....As we know "when momma ain't happy...."

Your rig sets the bar pretty high for us mortals!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #248
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Chudder

Got about 1700 miles on the new Lucas TRW sintered clutch now. Chudder is less pronounced, but it's still there when starting up from a stop. Kinda expected it to have bedded itself by now.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #249
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Some recent pics

Mt Adams from Darland Mountain in the Ahtanum State Forest.

East side of the Goat Rocks

Mt. Rainier

Heading down to Green Lake

Sun's almost down. Better get going.

DRONE screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 09:34 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #250
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

more pics -- from the Volcano Run 1st weekend in October

Me and inmate mikepa with his '04 GSA "Warbird."

Kirby never takes any pics of me so I kicked him out and got this monkee to do it!

Warbird on the road

The 22 Road in the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest. Both pics taken at the same location. Beautiful road.

Road 2801 - a perfect road for hacks!

Swimming in Walupt Lake. I was the only fool in there that day. 90% of the lake's shoreline is in a designated wilderness.

Debbie Simpson and Jay Giese. Debz is a 2-fisted drinker! And she can ride--last year she rode from the U.K. through France and Spain to Morocco, then down the west coast of Africa to Senegal. Wow.

Skillet supper. Everything goes better with Maker's Mark!

Hanging at the campfire. Looks like "day is done" for that one guy sitting right opposite me.

DRONE screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 12:04 AM
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #251
Square4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Volcano Run

Drone; fantastic pictures. This looks like a lot of fun. I will have to put this on my calendar for next year.

Steve
Square4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #252
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post

Skillet supper. Everything goes better with Maker's Mark!

Ain't that the truth!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #253
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Valcano camp was a blast, I intend to make it next year as well. Another similar campout with most of the same people is Snow camp at Mt Ranier MLK weekend. It is also a lot of fun.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #254
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

One of the other attendees at the Volcano Camp was inmate Iain "Patta" Patterson and his monkee Debz Simpson from Great Britain.

He built his R100 rig last winter in his garage (build thread here). He and Debz then headed east across Europe, through Turkey, into Russia, across Siberia and Outer Mongolia, to Korea, then by ship to my hometown Tacoma WA!

He and Debz stayed at my place while he took care of some repairs on the outfit but luckily we had time to go together to the Volcano Camp where his rig definitely attracted some attention from all the two-wheelers--

Patta's camping set-up is a little different from what we usually see around here, but it's served them well for the past 6 months--

Managed to take in some scenery--

And fix a puncture in a rear tire (which admittedly was almost done for anyway)--

And even had a chance to discuss world events with a member of the local constabulary--

Actually, it was a blown tail light fuse and the LEO was a Harley guy who was super nice.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #255
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Patta's Visit to DMC

Also wanted to mention the great service Patta got when we visited Jay and Barry at DMC Sidecars. While Debz and I went for a walk around downtown Enumclaw, Barry and Iain went to work on the outfit doing who knows what but when we got back Iain had some new parts, a new sidecar tire, he'd re-aligned the car (a mishap in Siberia had bent something and messed up his toe-in), and a big smile on his face. Jay and Barry skipped lunch to get him squared away which was really appreciated. Great service for the world travelers in Enumclaw.

Sorry, forgot to take pics.

But wanted to give DMC a big thumbs up!