User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I'm a bonehead and the cover on my pipe will agree

I officially did my first stupid thing with my bike. I tried to put my bike cover on this morning BEFORE the exhaust cooled off. So now I have a nice big hole in the cover and black melted stuff on the header pipe on the right side. The cover is a Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus and it might be good to find out what that plastic-like tar is. I have contacted them for recommendation on what type of fabric to patch.

I just went out during lunch and heated up the pipe and using wood coffee stir sticks, was able to remove most of the material. I also used some coffee paper sleeves and some damp paper towels, which helped. But now, I have a thin black film that I'd like to remove and hoping for some ideas.

I have some Turtle chrome polish at home and some 000 steel wool. My Mac exhaust is chrome, not s/s, so I can't use my Mothers polish. Other ideas or methods????

I assume I can eventually get this stuff off, but I'm concerned that the header pipe will be discolored, or at least not closely match the other side. If this is the case, I may consider header wrap . . .

1978 BMW R100S "bitza" (R80/7 frame)
mspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,965
I clean chrome with steal wool pads. You know, like, SOS or Brillo. The chrome is harder than steal. To get rid of bluing or rust spots is a little different but you can always start with steal wool.

For a bike cover I get the cheapest I can find. They blow away or get worn out from the sun and rain. Cheap ones for me.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Good word. I'll remember that next time :)

I'll start with steel wool when it's just warm, but touchable. When it's cold, that stuff is really hard. You can't break it off. At least I'm down to the last of it.

Just really bugs me that I did that. It's not like I haven't felt this way about other bonehead stuff I've done over the years . . .

Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,480
Super Fine steel wool (0000) should get out any discoloration.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dowco customer support hero

I got a quick response from a customer support agent at Dowco.

He told me to use the matching black bag that came with my cover to sew/patch the hole. He has an extra grey bag he is sending me for free to replace the "donor" bag. Very impressive service for something that is my fault!!

So I have to give Dowco credit for going above and beyond the call of duty on this

Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Wow, that's impressive.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,292
And you can carefully skim the melted plastic off with a sharp knife or a single-edged razor blade. Like the people said, chrome is tough.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,063
Pulled into my temporary garage a couple weeks ago and inadvertently made header contact with some tarps wood pellet bags; then I did it again the next night!

Thought about how to clean them and decided to see if a long ride would burn all the crap off.

It did.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
I had a hell of a time cleaning some old head gasket material off a head on a friend's /6 not long ago.

What didn't work: acetone, Goo-B-Gone, heat, razor blades, wooden scrapers.

What worked:

http://images.motorcycle-superstore....Remover---.jpg

I think it helps to apply it to a warm surface. Let it sit for maybe half an hour. Try it on an inconspicuous spot first. I was cleaning off baked gasket sealant on an aluminum head. Wouldn't think it would damage chrome, but better to check.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Oven cleaner or acetone should melt if off.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good news. Heat from the drive home did most of the trick, and I finished it off with 0000 steel wool. I also used a green Scotch abrasive pad, but the steel wool worked better. So that's done. Now on to asking my wife to do some sewing . . .

Thanks for the very helpful comments!!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
wet rag

Next time it happens, get the pipe nice and hot and wipe the area with a wet rag. The heat from the pipe will melt the plastic, the wet rag will cause the melted plastic to harden against the rag as you wipe it off.
Finish with 0000 steel wool.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I clean chrome with steal wool pads. You know, like, SOS or Brillo. The chrome is harder than steal. To get rid of bluing or rust spots is a little different but you can always start with steal wool.

For a bike cover I get the cheapest I can find. They blow away or get worn out from the sun and rain. Cheap ones for me.

+1 on the el cheepo covers. I bought a "$79.99" high quality one once...it didn't last much longer than the $14.99 ones I buy now. Plus I can buy 5 of them for the price of one "good" one.
or buy the Chinese E-Bay ones for $.01 cents....shipping is only $29.99, with a quick 8 week delivery time.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
There was suit called the Spartan years ago. It was a one piece insulated water proof thing that actually worked. My pipes melted more holes in that thing. The suit I patched back together with duct tape and silicone, the pipes I used steel wool and turtle polish. Oh, who am I kidding, I just let the crap burn off the pipes.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My cover is FIXED :)

I have to thank my wife for using her seamstress skills on my Dowco cover today! I mentioned that Dowco sent me a matching cover bag that was big enough to do the deed. Here's pics.

Outside cover:

Inside the cover: