Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
mspa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I'm a bonehead and the cover on my pipe will agree

I officially did my first stupid thing with my bike. I tried to put my bike cover on this morning BEFORE the exhaust cooled off. So now I have a nice big hole in the cover and black melted stuff on the header pipe on the right side. The cover is a Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus and it might be good to find out what that plastic-like tar is. I have contacted them for recommendation on what type of fabric to patch.

I just went out during lunch and heated up the pipe and using wood coffee stir sticks, was able to remove most of the material. I also used some coffee paper sleeves and some damp paper towels, which helped. But now, I have a thin black film that I'd like to remove and hoping for some ideas.

I have some Turtle chrome polish at home and some 000 steel wool. My Mac exhaust is chrome, not s/s, so I can't use my Mothers polish. Other ideas or methods????

I assume I can eventually get this stuff off, but I'm concerned that the header pipe will be discolored, or at least not closely match the other side. If this is the case, I may consider header wrap . . .

1978 BMW R100S "bitza" (R80/7 frame)
mspa is offline   Reply With Quote