tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,390
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #62
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 578
Spooned them on last night in the garage and rode them to work this morning. Gotta say these are the quietest tires I think I've had on the bike thus far. As far as street riding they feel very tame, the front not being blocky like big blocks or TKC80's but more like cleats makes it smooth. The rear I expected to feel the vibes at low speeds like the other knobbies I have run (especially the Kenda big blocks) but it rolls very smooth.
As far as mounting they are stiffer than TKC80's, but everything is. Still even being biased ply the rear I could sit on and it wouldn't collapse before mounting (Kenda big block could do this). Used plenty of soapy water and the rear tire slipped one side on without the need of spoons, the front I was not so lucky. The process of mounting the tires probably took a total of 30 min for the front and rear. Balancing was pretty easy, no yellow dot marking on the tires but basically I balanced out the TPMS and that was all that was needed.

Used the key for size comparison.

Going to play in the dirt tomorrow with the GSA, so I will see how they held up to my old TKC80 front/Mitas E0-9 rear setup previously. Hopefully I can report back some good words on these tires.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #63
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,673
Kai - Timely info, but we need more and soon!

I had myself about convinced just from looking at pictures of the paddle-looking rear that it'd have the back of the bike in a brain-rattling bounce while rotating on pavement. I was ready to order another TKC rear because of this, but may wait to hear more feedback from you and gastone.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #64
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Kai - Timely info, but we need more and soon!

I had myself about convinced just from looking at pictures of the paddle-looking rear that it'd have the back of the bike in a brain-rattling bounce while rotating on pavement. I was ready to order another TKC rear because of this, but may wait to hear more feedback from you and gastone.
The rally runs smooth on the road. I doubt it will have the life expetancy of a tkc though. Traction will not be an issue, possibly wet tar. Have not tried that, can't say. Probably not real good I suspect.

I finally pulled the front off the husky after about 3K miles. It was getting a little too scalloped and skatey over 75.

For me, the soft sidewalls of the tkc are enough to scratch them off my shortlist of adventure tires for any bike.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #65
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,094
Not the life expectancy of a TKC rear? lol So what we have is another Big Block. No thanks.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

SOG it is by far much easier to mount than a big block, I know I cut one off

Anyways, We hit some dirt this morning and I got some very good results. The Rally's performed just as good as my old setup (tkc/mitas) if not better. They were dropped in pressure a little to 30psi front and 33psi rear and handled the tree logging area and sand/mud with confidence. The weight of the GSA of course makes the front skate a little in true Floridian sugar sand but better than any street oriented tire. So here are a few shots of the different terrain that was tested out. Overall so far I have been impressed with the tire and would recommend it if you were going to do some mild to serious attack on dirt. Mud wasn't scary either I guess because of the cleat style front tire vs a TKC comparison.

Like the Mitas E-09 this rear tire is easy to clean out and regain usable lugs in the tread by just spinning up the rear with some throttle

Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #67
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Thanks for the update on the Ralley's. How did they feel on payment on the way to your riding area?

Please let us know how the tread is holding up once you have a few hundred miles on them.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #68
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,673
I got tired of waiting for SOG to do it, so I went head and joined the Scorpion Rally test club today. Only with a rear tire though, as I had a TKC-80 front with lots of miles left so that went back on.

The Rally wasn't bad to mount, about like a Tourance or Anakee in effort. Not as easy as TKCs though; well lubed, that front just fell on with no tire iron assist.

Only got to do about 100 miles with them today, split between asphalt and dirt roads/gravel/mud. Too early to form any real opinions, so testing is in progress......

jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #69
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oooh. I just scored a takeoff mitas E-09 front. Might try a rear Mitas with it but I will be watching this thread.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 04:53 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

SOG, from my post research and info on the E-09 fronts I've gathered that others liked them in the dirt but found them to wear very quickly because they are a soft compound when compared to the E-09 rear. That was my reasoning for running the TKC/E-09 combo.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #71
Rangie83
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Scorpion Rally

I've been watching similar threads about the Scorpion Rally with great interest, a few years ago I tried a Mitas E10 on the rear of my 1150GSA 1500kms later it was toast, I contacted Mitas and they have said the compound has now changed but I don't like spending 200 bucks and being an unsuspecting test mule. ok back to the point...

I've been running Pirelli Scorpion Rallys on my 1150 for the last 4600ks and it looks like the rear will do another 1000k before replacement.
I ride like a clown most of the time so I'm very happy with the mileage I've gotten out of them.

I cannot fault them on or offroad, quite easy to scrape pegs etc on the road

Rangie83 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 06:42 PM
Rangie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #72
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,974
I officially hate these fucking things. In mud they've got good bite. On anything hard...like the asphalt, hard pack, etc. they just plain don't bite...at all. Coming through nice sweepers, just as I'm twisting the wrist the rear breaks loose. On the dirt it's one thing, but when I'm playing in the twisties it ain't working for me. It isn't any better on hard pack either. Even with tourances and Heidi's in the dirt, eventually they'd bite out of a turn, the rallys don't. Just slip sliding away. Can't wait to burn through them.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #73
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
I officially hate these fucking things. In mud they've got good bite. On anything hard...like the asphalt, hard pack, etc. they just plain don't bite...at all. Coming through nice sweepers, just as I'm twisting the wrist the rear breaks loose. On the dirt it's one thing, but when I'm playing in the twisties it ain't working for me. It isn't any better on hard pack either. Even with tourances and Heidi's in the dirt, eventually they'd bite out of a turn, the rallys don't. Just slip sliding away. Can't wait to burn through them.
lol. I just ordered a set of TKC's for our Roll The Bones Rally. Really wanted to try something different, kinda glad I didn't.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #74
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
On anything hard...like the asphalt, hard pack, etc. they just plain don't bite...at all. Coming through nice sweepers, just as I'm twisting the wrist the rear breaks loose.
There's your problem, using the wrong tool for the job, these are a knobby tire meant for dirt, not canyon carving. I did this in Texas with the Mitas E-09 taking corners with traction control on for 4-5 seconds, quite fun for me actually. You want cornering, stick with the street oriented tires like the Tourance, Anakees, or even the Heidis. Anything that is going to last longer than a TKC on the street is going to have some limits. Think about it, you have only roughly half the tread touching the pavement as a street tire because of the knobs, aka roughly half the available traction.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #75
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFly01 View Post
There's your problem, using the wrong tool for the job, these are a knobby tire meant for dirt, not canyon carving. I did this in Texas with the Mitas E-09 taking corners with traction control on for 4-5 seconds, quite fun for me actually. You want cornering, stick with the street oriented tires like the Tourance, Anakees, or even the Heidis. Anything that is going to last longer than a TKC on the street is going to have some limits. Think about it, you have only roughly half the tread touching the pavement as a street tire because of the knobs, aka roughly half the available traction.
What, I can't have my cake and eat it to???

I'd be more open to them if they'd hook up on hard pack, but they just want to keep spinning. The rear almost had a paddle tire profile. Mud = good, sand = good, forrest service roads = shite, asphalt = total shite, wet asphalt = death.

Perhaps in Florida where there is mucho sand and no curves they'd be fine, but in the friendly environs of Appalachia riding they don't work.

As much as I hate to say it, the heidi rear might be the best compromise for me. Sucks in the rain and mud, but I could stand to slow down a little when the pavement is wet anyway.

The search continues.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote