Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #31
AlfromMI
Long distance nut

Oddometer: 126
I completely enjoyed this drawn out resurrection of a great looking Italian bike.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Oddometer: 50
Ashtray Aermacchi

So, there we were, looking at what appeared to be a completed Aermacchi 350, gloating, mind you, at the fact that it turned out beautiful and sounded wonderful. A problem with the clutch kept the little motorcycle, now named "Michelina" after my middle daughter, limited to short forays around the neighborhood within pushing distance of the garage. Adjusting the clutch I am getting good at, just like I am getting extremely good at starting the machine. I am not even kidding about starting; I learned over a protracted period of weeks that one does not have to launch a smart downward attack of a heavily booted foot. That, of course, is the point that the motorbike kicks back with arrogance and throws one off balance. No, this Italian simply wants to be slowly stroked through one firing pass at a time. But she truly desires a proper clutch.

This is the clutch that came out of the low mileage Aermacchi when Jason took it apart to rebuild the whole thing. Low mileage, after all those years, was under 5K. It was difficult to imagine why it didn't have more. I have just discovered the reason. This is an early 350. The bikes after 1968 are supposed to have a different clutch pack that includes a special dished and serrated drive plate at the top of the stack; a major addition of pressure on top of the five clutch springs already extant. Indeed, 'twas the reason for all the slippage and inability to master a gradient of "Slope degrees".

I will now order proper parts, vintage redux tires, lower European style bars and the like.

earlyWiz

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500476
earlyWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

The 'Cast-Iron Maiden' is off the lift in Gold Beach, Oregon!

Although it is certainly possible to meander back and forth through the Ashtray Aermacchi thread, I offer a summary of how the 'Cast-Iron Maiden', Michelina, has changed in three years.
From this:

To this:

Finally, making her maiden return to daily riding dressed like this and named after my middle daughter, "the Cast-Iron Maiden" on Saturday 7 July 2012!

What remains to be seen? I believe a different style seat is in the works, and there is the possibility of a 'pedestrian-slicer' identifying this as an Aermacchi rather than a Harley-Davidson 'Sprint'.

What next? She becomes like the Garden Gnome that travels to far places to post photos of its adventure. Only, in this particular case, Michelina gets to wander in and around the "ADV Pacific Northwet" venturing farther each time from the Barnacle Bistro in Gold Beach. I am, after a long wait since 1977 when I sold the sidecar, returned as a vintage rider enjoying a vintage motorcycle.

Thank you, Everyone and All! See you in the "Pacific Northwet".
earlyWiz

earlyWiz screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 01:05 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Cool bike. Great pictorial.
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #35
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

Ashtray aermacchi

There you are. Finished for this year since I have house and property projects. If I change something else? Hmmm. It is at this juncture that I should admit to having the "Cast-Iron Maiden" kick my right ankle and nearly breaking it. The bruising is deep and painful. This time to poddle away to the garden. Right? I'll be back later to work on the handlebars.

earlyWiz screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 01:07 PM
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
earlyWiz OP
Wizard of Od'

The "CAST-IRON MAIDEN"

I asked myself, "So, a short motorcycle and thirty-six inch long arms, where do I want the bars?" Since the bars are clamped in rubber and made to stay in place by welding a tab to the center of the handlebars, I will begin by inverting the bars.

Nice stance but not the right ergonomics for my wrists.

At the least, the cables and wiring still managed fairly graceful turns.

It came time to try my favorite size(seven inch) Clubman bars. Very nice lines.

Cable and wiring bends had even less stressful curves, and the wrist ergonomics were right. But...

...As nice as the lay-out proved to be, an ugly balance problem made itself known. Whilst attempting to latch onto the bars and balancing on the left foot to use the right foot to jab at the kick-start lever, I was only too aware of the tendency to nearly pitch forward and over the high side of the machine.

And now for the resolution. Yes, drag-bars, tab welded into place, cables and wiring settled, and the ergonomics are alright if not totally perfect (I prefer a few degrees more of droop, say between five and ten).

There is NOT "Happy Ending" to this tale. In 1980, while moving a Snap-On top-box tool chest from my truck-bed to the loading dock of a television studio warehouse, I twisted my pivot knee with a resounding POP! that echoed from the walls of the buildings around. Over the course of those intervening years it has been manageable to quite fine. A few days back, from when these images were produced, I went to start the Aermacchi. Balanced on the left foot, I kicked the starter through twice. On the top of the third swing my knee ran off to the far left. I tumbled forward, it was the only way I was going to fall anyway, twisted the handlebars full right and caught the motorcycle on my wrist, elbow, and the inside of my now really-screwed-up left knee. Right! I did not want to damage the new bar-end mirrors, the fuel tank, nor the battery box; I thought of all that in the seconds it took to fall...

I have to suppose that, if I want another motorcycle, I may have to consider a vintage two-stroke twin like the T500 Suzuki, of perhaps devolve to an electric-start Twin of some sort. Whatever the final choice, let me say this. The thing has to be light enough for me to roll up on the lift. I had the neighbor come from next door to help move the motorcycle and the lift around for these finishing photos. I am a few months from seventy years old, upset, and embarrassed as I have ever been to have to solicit help in this manner! Goodbye, All, it has been interesting to say something positive.

earlyWiz screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 02:54 PM
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #37
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Hello Wiz! Nice job on the bike. Sorry to hear of your physical malady. That sucks. Hope you heal up quickly with as little pain as possible and that you find the bike you seek.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote