Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #46
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955BIKER View Post
Sounded like a great trip until the desert.
It is great trip: amazing parks, amazing people. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Death Valley

To answer the inevitable questions as to why I didn't turn back.
There isn't a single answer. At first the road was fine, at time it was even paved.
While ago this area was run by the military for the silver and other mines. Sometime in the 60s the mines and roads were abandoned and no one has maintained them since. They have been deteriorating for the past 50+ years. Some of the road was gravel but it was graded and it was a pleasure to ride on.

After that I hit the first puddle where you saw my bike lying in. I crossed the puddle on foot, it was lower than my knees and very passable. I got a running start but in the middle of the puddle I was catapulted out of my seat. Turns out there was a large rock slightly off center that I didn't notice on foot. This was the first time I had to unload my bike.

After that the road started to gradually get worse. I had to unload my bike a few more times to move on. With each fall I wasn't gaining any strength. I left at 5 am to avoid this heat hoping I would reach my destination before the full heat sets in. But once it got past afternoon and the sun was like an oven, it didn't make any sense to go back. Also I knew the road after the Sailing Rocks would be better than what I just passed. Plus I already passed 3/4 of the way.

On the map below this part was from B to C, which should have taken me 2 1/2 hours. This is the exact spot I told my son to look for me.

http://goo.gl/maps/aZWGw

The part after C, as the ranger confirmed, was better and I could have gotten past it without problem. But I couldn't get through the last 8 miles.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #48
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallen View Post
It is great trip: amazing parks, amazing people. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Great response.
My favorite cliche is the one that says "we regret what we didn't do".
You came out of it alright and a lot of us on the forum, learned.
Safe trip home, Bro'
houndawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #49
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Well, what doesn't kill us should make us wiser. I never bought into that stronger business.

I don't know what lured you in, FF, but for me that one time which taught me that 180 is my friend, I kept being intimidated by what I'd been through so hoped that the worst was behind me and that things would get better.

By that logic, I'd be a fool to 180 because it'd mean losing my hard gained progress made toward the better trail and also having to ride through, again, that which had beaten me when I was fresh and would do so in spades were I to try it again.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #50
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
freefallen, glad you are doing better.

I do a lot of solo trips myself, and to keep my wife's sanity, I have employed the use of the SPOT tracker. There are several versions, but I've found that the "SPOT Connect" is the most useful by far.

With this bad boy, I can text my wife what is happening when I've stopped for a while. Every 10 minutes your position is tracked and updated on the FindmeSpot page. When I stop for an extended period of time, I'll send a text to my wife letting her know all is good, just taking a rest or fixing something on the bike. She gets the text message on her phone and she receives an email detailing my location.

For pocket change a year, this is the best tool that has come along for riders.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndawgg View Post
Great response.
My favorite cliche is the one that says "we regret what we didn't do".
You came out of it alright and a lot of us on the forum, learned.
Safe trip home, Bro'
I like your cliche too.
Thank you, Bro!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Well, what doesn't kill us should make us wiser. I never bought into that stronger business.

I don't know what lured you in, FF, but for me that one time which taught me that 180 is my friend, I kept being intimidated by what I'd been through so hoped that the worst was behind me and that things would get better.

By that logic, I'd be a fool to 180 because it'd mean losing my hard gained progress made toward the better trail and also having to ride through, again, that which had beaten me when I was fresh and would do so in spades were I to try it again.
So you're saying you understand why I didn't go back? In any way lesson learned.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #53
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
freefallen, glad you are doing better.

I do a lot of solo trips myself, and to keep my wife's sanity, I have employed the use of the SPOT tracker. There are several versions, but I've found that the "SPOT Connect" is the most useful by far.

For pocket change a year, this is the best tool that has come along for riders.
I was thinking about SPOT and will definitely get one when I go to South America. This time I knew exactly where I'm going to be at any given time. Only one place was troubling me and I took all the precautions to be found.
Btw, I didnít know I can text from SPOT. How much is this service? I know that full SAR support and the route tracking for 1 year can cost about $119.00.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #54
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Today I started from Las Vegas and drove through Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and stopped in Texas. I had 2 days left on my trip and I have almost 2,000 miles ahead of me. Now itís the most tedious part of the trip, the drive home. My god, I just shudder thinking about it.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #55
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Glad you are ok....

I still think I would have turned around and gone back with the first light, while it was still somewhat cool. It is a good thing you told your family where you were going to be. I plan on getting one of those Spot deals also, and the one shown is the most economical one I saw. It seemed like there was 3 or 4 different versions of the spot trackers. If I had more money than I know what to do with, I would buy one, but I don't. Also, that is why I ride a KLR instead of a KTM or GS

Thanks for all the awesome pics and the story too, and once again, glad you are ok.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #56
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
So you're saying you understand why I didn't go back? In any way lesson learned.
Yeah, I think so. I'm guessing our minds worked the same logic which turned out to sink us both.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #57
Bluecomet
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 111
Freefallen........it's easy to look back and see what we should have done in hindsight. It's also easy to "Monday morning quarterback" from the comfort of our homes.

I'm thankful that everything worked out for you with no real damage other than to your pride and pocketbook. We all learn from sharing experiences and I appreciate your willingness to let us "ride along".
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #58
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
I was thinking about SPOT and will definitely get one when I go to South America. This time I knew exactly where I'm going to be at any given time. Only one place was troubling me and I took all the precautions to be found.
Btw, I didnít know I can text from SPOT. How much is this service? I know that full SAR support and the route tracking for 1 year can cost about $119.00.

So, to actually buy the device is anywhere between $120 - $170. However, just like protective gear, how much is your head worth, and in this case, how much is your life worth?

The basic Tracking is $50 a year.
For "Type and Send" options, texting, the price varies:
Bundled 500 msgs, $50.00/yr
Bundled 100 msgs $30.00/yr
or
.50 cents a message

In my humble opinion, for my safety, safety of others I may be traveling with, I think this little gadget is worth it's weight in gold. Being able to text my wife and let her know I'm A-OK is a big relief to her.

As well, if I get into a situation where I need help, I can text her to get ahold of the right people, and the text message has my GPS location attached to the text as well.

There are other options as well...
http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #59
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post
I still think I would have turned around and gone back with the first light, while it was still somewhat cool. It is a good thing you told your family where you were going to be. I plan on getting one of those Spot deals also, and the one shown is the most economical one I saw. It seemed like there was 3 or 4 different versions of the spot trackers. If I had more money than I know what to do with, I would buy one, but I don't. Also, that is why I ride a KLR instead of a KTM or GS

Thanks for all the awesome pics and the story too, and once again, glad you are ok.
Ideally I would have 2 or even 3 bikes. But because I live in NJ, pretty much flatland, I donít see much use of a dirt bike. Even if I would buy a street legal dirt bike, I wouldnít ride cross the country on it. So my bike is kind of compromise, itís 50/50 and very often I do go semi off-road.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #60
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Yeah, I think so. I'm guessing our minds worked the same logic which turned out to sink us both.
Thank you for your input. Yes, we had the same logic behind that.