User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
JackOfSpeed OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Motorcycle Therapy!

Ladies and gentlemen of ADV, this will not be your typical ride report!

I believe that there are times in our lives where we feel we have reached the absolute rock bottom, and that it really is difficult to think of things worth getting out of bed for. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm currently in one of those times, and staying positive is becoming very, very difficult. However, at the moment my motorbike is one of the things keeping me sane, one of the few things which at present makes life worth living. I shall leave nothing out, so it a bit of spiritual soul-searching isn't your thing, then maybe this report won't be either.

However, if you like to hear about how motorcycling and travel can move someone forward, then maybe it will be.

This ride report will be some longer distance day or weekend rides, but a lot of the time will be just me, on my own with a camera and a bike, blasting round the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire. Don't expect spectacular photography, epic scenery and high powered, 'farkled' fun, but I will aim to illustrate how great the riding can be in our own back yard. Additionally, I'll use this ride report to chart my progress out of the 'rut' (stream of consciousness style!) and outline the steps taken to really move things forward. Hopefully, in a years time I'll be able to look back and say, yeah I really turned things around!

I'm not a melodramatic sort at all, and as a normally very positive person it is especially difficult! This ride report is therapy, a charting of what is currently one of the most difficult times of my life. I have always loved writing, exploring and taking photos, and this report is intended to document my way out of this 'rut' (not the good, dusty, muddy trail type rut!), by providing me with an outlet and illustrating the way in which motorbikes and travel free and cleanse my mind.

Firstly, I love motorcycles.

I started riding in November last year, and completed my full test in March. Since then, they take up rather a lot of my life.

I currently ride a 2004 Honda CBF600, and love it. A Quick, user friendly and reliable, sports tourer(ish) bike, it fits my needs perfectly. I also have a 1998 Kawasaki Ninja, which is purely for poser power!

I love riding, and am lucky enough to be able to do it everyday, from a quick ride to the gym, to a longer distance overnight blast. Nothing has given me quite the same freedom as currently I don't drive (more on that to come!).

Motorcycling for me cleanses the soul. I do a lot of my own maintenance, and am lucky that my parents have a garage full of tools. There is nothing quite like it, and I am thankful everyday that I have that freedom.

Pics to come when I've worked out how to do it, hope this ride report is of interest to a few people!

JackOfSpeed screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 11:36 AM Reason: Poor Spelling!
JackOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
rh2yadv
Ow!

Oddometer: 45
rh2yadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
zozie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I am in. Keep it coming. I know how you feel.
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 57
I'll hear you out.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
JackOfSpeed OP
n00b

First picture post... This may not go so well!

Thanks for the responses, it's good to know people are interested! I warn you, however, this could be a long report

Here are the pictures of bike I'll be doing most of the adventuring on!

It's brilliant. With a top box and tank bag, it really does have everything you need for riding. It's in good condition, I bought in in March and have put nearly 2500 miles on it already, with one service all completed by me.

There'll be another update later with pictures of my other bike, and a bit of background as to the situation I'm in at the moment.

JackOfSpeed screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 12:06 PM Reason: Anybody know why the picture aren't coming up?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 102

Sounds interesting.
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Jimmym1296
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I'm game, bring it on. Lots of adventures happen in our own back yard.
Jimmym1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Keep it up! Motorcycles are the best therapy going. Looking forward to a romp in the Cotswolds with you.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
2wheeltherapy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hence my screen name......
2wheeltherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
IN !!!

been doing a bit of the same thing here.
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
yal
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm along for the ride! I just started riding again after 6 years interval. Loving being on two wheels again, it's great for the soul and I love it because I focus on riding rather than spacing out behind the wheel. Although I had to drive today and had a bit of an issue the first time that I came up to a stoplight and tried to lane split (filter)... Yes, I crack myself up.

I'm eager to hear of your rides and thoughts.
yal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
JackOfSpeed OP
n00b

Talking Thanks all!

Thanks for the interest. Weather's been pretty poor today so wasn't able to get any decent pics, will hopefully upload some tomorrow.

In the meantime, any idea how to upload some pics of the bikes? I had a go in my last post and it didn't exactly go to plan!

Also, as promised, a bit of background to this ride report. I'll aim to keep it short, but unfortunately I waffle. My English teacher at school was forever telling me that I would (very eloquently!) take a paragraph to write what other's would in a sentence!

Here goes...

I'm Tim, aged 23, and currently living on the Oxfordshire/ Gloucestershire border. In 2010, I felt like the world was at my feet. I'd be graduating from a university by the sea with a 2:1 in English Literature. It was a course, a university and a city that I loved, and I do genuinely think it's the happiest I've ever been. Living with friends, having to answer to no-one but myself, and having forged a life that just worked was satisfying in way that nothing else had been before. However, I wasn't riding bikes then, so obviously not fully complete

So graduating with a great degree, I felt like life was out there, just waiting for me, and that I could achieve anything. I'd just been accepted onto a Masters course in Property at a different university, was with my first ever girlfriend (who I cared about deeply... and misguidedly haha!) I was sad that my time in the city I loved was ending, but was ready for what seemed like a wonderful life just around the corner....

More to come, hopefully later!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
ScottRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hopefully someone can give you some direction on posting pics. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Looking forward to seeing some of it in your future posts. Keep up with the writing. It's always helped me put things in the proper perspective. Sometimes things that seem earth shattering turn out to be nothing more than minor bumps in the road.

Looking forward to reading some updates.
ScottRS is offline   Reply With Quote