Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #151
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Thank you for the donation and encouragement. It truly helps. Today I emptied my wallet in the Metzeler rig for tires and mousses. As I did so, thought of the generous donations of so many people that are helping to make this possible.

Another update and photos are coming from today.

Heck I feel special knowing it was acknowledged ! Thanks again and keep up the good work guys.

Future ten screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 07:55 PM
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #152
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,964
So it starts.. GO Josh !

https://www.facebook.com/RedBullSixDaysEnduro

Good morning, Sachsenring! 4°C, 39° F . Will be a nice day. Maximum of 19 °C, 64° F to be expected.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #153
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,613
Quote:
They shared the link for Live results today. It is:

http://www.fim-isde-live.info/

Be sure to bookmark that one everyone. Nothing there yet, of course, but will be in a few more days!
done! thank you

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #154
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Thank you for the donation and encouragement. It truly helps. Today I emptied my wallet in the Metzeler rig for tires and mousses. As I did so, thought of the generous donations of so many people that are helping to make this possible.

Another update and photos are coming from today.
I'll make you a deal. When that tire and mouse is worn out. Send it to me along with a the receipt. Ill cover the cost of the tire, mouse and shipping +$25 So I can hand some original Josh to Germany bling on my wall

Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #155
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I'll make you a deal. When that tire and mouse is worn out. Send it to me along with a the receipt. Ill cover the cost of the tire, mouse and shipping +$25 So I can hand some original Josh to Germany bling on my wall
That made me laugh :) Due to customs issues, I'm not sure we'll be able to take any of the tires/bibs home with us. I think most guys end up selling them used at the end of the event to the locals.

The bandwidth in the hotel is so horrible, I'm going to have to try and upload pictures and an update at a different time. The entire U.S. Team is staying in the same hotel and every single person is using their phone, iPad, or laptop it seems.

Today was the final day to work on the bikes. The entire team went to administrative inspection (paperwork) this afternoon, and then to get their bikes inspected and impounded. A few of the Trophy guys failed sound check, but seemed to get it easily taken care of. Josh passed without a problem. The view of the impound is impressive......hundreds of bikes all lined up, ready to go. I will share pictures when I can.

Oh...and thank you for the comments everyone. It keeps me motivated to try and keep everyone updated when it would be easier to go to bed ;)
Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #156
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
WE are loving you RR on Josh to Germany and so many ,many of us are pulling for you and Josh.

I did several 2 Day Qualifers in BC in the 80's , top guns in BC at that time were the Graffunders, Cory dad/uncle , Al and Guy Perrit, Blake Chupa, etc. I was luck enough to end up with several Bronze and Silver finish metals. Still hanging on my wall.

Ride to finish Josh, ride to finish, places will take care of themselves.

The very best , keep us posted

gale

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 02:55 PM
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #157
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
That made me laugh :) Due to customs issues, I'm not sure we'll be able to take any of the tires/bibs home with us. I think most guys end up selling them used at the end of the event to the locals.

The bandwidth in the hotel is so horrible, I'm going to have to try and upload pictures and an update at a different time. The entire U.S. Team is staying in the same hotel and every single person is using their phone, iPad, or laptop it seems.

Today was the final day to work on the bikes. The entire team went to administrative inspection (paperwork) this afternoon, and then to get their bikes inspected and impounded. A few of the Trophy guys failed sound check, but seemed to get it easily taken care of. Josh passed without a problem. The view of the impound is impressive......hundreds of bikes all lined up, ready to go. I will share pictures when I can.

Oh...and thank you for the comments everyone. It keeps me motivated to try and keep everyone updated when it would be easier to go to bed ;)

In that case Ill take an autographed 8x10 of josh and the 1st place trophy

Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #158
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

September 21, 2012 (Friday)

Today was the last day to work on the bikes before impounding them for good until the racing starts Monday morning. It’s amazing how you can think you are totally ready, and then go fiddle around on the bike for half a day.

Everyone was doing last minute stuff to their bikes. There is a small practice MX track that several riders rode to (about 8km away). Others just took their bikes out on the city streets for a run through the gears. Josh did this just to make sure everything was OK.

He (and everyone) are just super anxious to ride.
The Trophy, Junior Trophy, and Womens Trophy teams had a photo shoot.

They will do a more formal one tomorrow in all their gear, along with the rest of the U.S. Team riders.

US pits.

Here’s an aerial view of the Sachsenring circuit to give you an idea of perspective.

Russell Bobbitt’s bike.

Jeff Fredette’s bike.

Josh’s bike ready to roll.

The entire family has been helping.

That Duvall’s bike ready.

Charlie Mullin’s bike. Notice the markings on the tire for rotor and sprocket side. All the little details to remind a rider of the simple things when they’re working on their bike.

The first step was to go through administrative inspection this afternoon. This involved all the paperwork, and if you thought signing up for your local race was bad, that’s nothing. There are all sorts of details with this process, including insurance, licensing, FIM license, registration, Anti-Doping policy, confirmation of payment, transponders, drivers license, etc. The entire team walked down to the offices together. It was cool to see all the riders together. The U.S. team is one of the biggest teams so they were quite the presence walking through the pits all together.

Me and Josh

The teamwork starts already. Josh and Reid Brown “got it each others back”.

Josh and Reid have become good friends.

The ISDE will be in Italy next year. They have a display to help promote it for 2013.

After Admin, it was back to the pits for one final bike check, application of numbers, and ISDE license.
Thank you to the Hamilton’s and the Gerritt Hamilton Memorial fund. Josh is proud to represent them at this year’s ISDE.

Putting numbers on the bike started to make this all feel more real. (Check out the little “dinger” bell on the handlebars. Mirror and horn are required to make it through tech inspection. I had brought a cheap one from Walmart but they had these in a little dollar store next to the hotel and it fit better.

Once again, rather than send everyone individually, the entire team went to the tech inspection, sound test, and impound together.

I believe the sound test is a bit different than year’s past (maybe the same as last year). They hold the sound meter a certain distance behind (about 3-4 feet) and then rev the bike to full rpm and take several tests. Here Taylor Robert gets checked. He failed the first time, and had to come back as did a few of the other Trophy guys but they all got it sorted out quickly.

Josh and Jeff Fredette waiting in line for sound test.

Josh made it through fine, and then went to the next stage of inspection where they checked everything on the bike and put paint marks and stickers on those key parts that can’t be replaced during the 6 days.

Then it was time for impound. If you’ve never seen a bike impound at the ISDE, it was quite the site to behold.

And he makes it, number 579.

At that point, it all started to sink in even a little bit more. Back at the pits, the USWE folks were there (thank you USWE and offroadchampions.com) providing the team members with their choice of their awesome hydration systems. This is hands-free style that Kurt Caselli uses (or they have traditional non hands-free tubes) and they are a sponsor and provider to the entire team this year.

Tonight at the Rider’s meeting, they had all the riders sign a Team USA Arai helmet to send back to Japan for Mr. Arai. They also had a big Team USA ISDE banner that all the riders signed, that they will be auctioning with any money earned going back to the team.

The bikes are all impounded. The focus for the next two days will be walking tests and mentally and physically preparing for the 6 days. Let’s go!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #159
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Fantastic report - simply fantastic!

Spotted Cathy at the inspection desk as well

Gonna try and follow the live tracking for today, wishing everyone -and especially Josh- a great race

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #160
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Awesome!!! I am so Psyched for this!!!

GO Team USA!!! GO Josh!!!

PS: When you go to Sardinia next year sign me up as the Tee Shirt Ironing Guy, Italy is Incredible!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #161
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 261
All the best for the ISDE.
Family fun for one and all!

pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #162
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,385
This will be an experience you, Josh, or the rest of the family, will ever forget.

Good luck, Josh!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #163
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

September 22, 2012 (Saturday)

Today was devoted to walking special tests and then preparing for the opening ceremonies tonight at the Sachsenring circuit.

I woke up last early this morning to the sound of heavy rain. When we left the hotel, it looked just like what I had always pictured Germany like. Everything was soaking wet, low-lying clouds, very green, and everything looked slippery.

We piled in the mini van with Reid Brown, his wife and father, and Derek Steahly and Devan Bolin all from Oregon.

The plan was to visit all the tests that will be used on Days 3 and 4. The pictures I posted of yesterday were of one of the tests, so we had two others to check out.

When we arrived to the first test, the U.S. Trophy and Junior Trophy teams were arriving at the same time. We ended up walking the test with most all of them and it was really interesting to get their perspective on some of the sections. Kurt Caselli had already walked that test once, and it awesome to watch as he recited from memory what was coming up next. He had really done his homework and was trying to memorize every corner, obstacle, and alternate line that he could.

This test was the gnarliest we’ve walked yet. It is in a deep forest section and it is basically a logging road that is all rutted up with tons of pine boughs and sticks criss-crossed all over it, with big channels full of water.

[IMG]
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/mandjknight/Facebook/Germany%20ISDE%209_22_2012/533746_3622835974337_963380025_n.jpg[/IMG]

Looks fun, doesn’t it.

Almost the entire thing is like this.

There were a few spots where the sun came out.

Josh had watched every video on YouTube he could find, and he immediately recognized this area from some of the German Enduro Championship videos.

Kurt Caselli points out some of the good lines and his observations from previously walking the test.

Kurt started talking to Benji and asking him about his riding and racing.

10-15 minutes later they were still chatting. Talk about making a 12 year olds day…..he just made his year. Thanks Kurt.

Taylor Robert conducting an interview after walking the test.

We then drove to the next test. This one is a big huge grass track set in a farmer’s field on the side of a hill. This one was all about off-camber turns. Lots of big fast sweepers coming into an off-camber, both left and right.

Josh, Reid Brown, Derek Steahly, and Devan Bolin, all walking the test.

This afternoon we were back in the pits and the team was doing a photo shoot. The Trophy Teams did their separate shoots, and then the entire U.S. Team did a photo shoot.

Along with mechanics and support crew.

We took the opportunity to snap a family pic.

The riders then received some instruction from Gunny Claypoole about some of the “rider intel” from the pre-rider. The FIM no longer allows a pre-rider from each country. This year, Giovani Sala (sp?) was the only pre-rider allowed and then he shared the information with all the country jury delegates. Some of the tests are really long (14 minutes in one test) and the sample times he shared indicated he only had on average about 8-9 minutes early at each time check. It will be interesting to see what happens as the course breaks down. The rider count is almost 480 riders.

Rachel Gutish passes the time in the pits with Jay Hall.

It was then on to the opening ceremonies. Mike Brown was selected to carry the American Flag.

The Red Bull stunt plane was buzzing overhead putting on quite the show at the beginning.

Nick Hamill’s family was by the most patriotic. They stole the show and had photographers in their face all night.

The German team is huge, considering that they are the host country. U.S. is probably the next biggest team.

It was great to enter the stadium with the riders. I admit that the opening ceremonies in Mexico (the only other ISDE I’ve experienced) was significantly larger, but this was cool nonetheless.

One more day…..and then it’s finally here. The riders are all so antsy to just get out and ride. We have several tests to still walk tomorrow, and I’ll post up some photos when I can. The bandwidth at the hotel is still a huge issue so it’s taking way longer than I would like.

Now, if I could just buy a darn drink around here that is larger than 12 oz. and actually has some ice in it.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #164
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Now, if I could just buy a darn drink around here that is larger than 12 oz. and actually has some ice in it.

As always, awesome updates

Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #165
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,383
This is so cool, I almost feel like I'm there! Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

GO Josh and Team USA!!

Have to give a special shout out to our Colorado boys, Ron Schmelze and Scott Bright.