User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Nice Find!

I had one of those in 94-97, raced prolly 25-30 D37 desert races on plus lots of trailriding, it never had any issues, only replaced the piston rings just before I sold it!! I still wish I'd kept it and plated it for dual sport riding while I could have. It's worth the $ effort to have the forks and rear shock revalved for plusher ride, enjoy the wide ratio trans and big tank, even used to be able to get 360 kits for them!! These bike rewarded aggressive riding style and had a good frame geometry for high speeds across rough terrain as well as great in the technical trails. ENJOY
Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
third eye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Yes, enjoying it much better with the new PWK carburetor and rebuilt/modified suspension.. Tried to install a full FMF exhaust I got from Dennis Kirk but it wouldn't fit. Had to send it back. It still runs fine with the stock exhaust
third eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,653
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post

Did you have to drain those leaves out of the tranny?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
third eye OP
Adventurer

ah, yeah....it shifts better without them........
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
I remember those -

. Bike rips. Have you changed anything? What do you recommend???

Good question. I had/raced a '91, '93 & '95 back in the day. The had what I needed - bigger tank, wide ratio gear box, power for lights and THE MOST IMPORTANT - a side stand! (just kidding - but they do make life easier).

What I would do?

#1 - additional flywheel. It's been so long ago - Moose made what you want - it's a weld-on unit to your rotor. I only ran 4 oz. - I think they made 4-6-8. . .12 oz wheels. 4 oz worked for me - start easier, stall harder, hooks up in hte wet. Almost impossible to to stall it. And most of all - it just made it easier to ride - and I was all about that 20 years ago.

#2 - keep lower shock linkage and main swingarm bolts clean and lubed (or buy a KTM) They did need upkeep and it's easy to ignore them. Also, change shock oil at least once a year (depending on how much you ride) - you can tell the difference. Fork oil - more than twice a year according you your riding hours.

#3 - Pre-Mix - 40:1. I used Yamaha R, 2 stroke oil I believe it was. When I would 're-ring" the bike, I could clean the combustion chamber with a paper towel. The exhaust was still wet/rich - just wring out the RPMs as much as you can.

#4 - replace rings on some type of schedule. No need to replace piston. I was told that a fresh piston will tend to wear the cylinder bore, much more than fresh rings. I had 300+ on the '91 top end, pulled and mic'd the cylinder - completely in specification - like the bottom number of the spec.

It's fun just thinking back to those days - a lot of race prep for our Ohio enduros and hare-scrambles and many hours wiping grease from my hands. I think those bikes were around $3800 new back then.

Have fun - and get that power valve open!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
third eye OP
Adventurer

Wicked

Thanks for the advice and good to hear your experience. The new Keihin carb is light years better than the mikuni. I installed Race Tech Gold Valves in the compression stack and set it up to have the forks ride higher in the stroke with stiffer springs. Plus I set up the rebuilt shock damping to their recommendations, it's starting to handle better than my YZ400F I had previously
Old 09-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutsref View Post
These bike rewarded aggressive riding style and had a good frame geometry for high speeds across rough terrain . ENJOY
Funny you mention that... I had one for a while that was like magic in fast rough/unpredictable terrain. My KDX200 feels like its going to pitch you off with its flighty/headshakey feel. Yeah, I know...wide open rutty trails aren't the KDX's forte..but

The WR on the exact same trail WIDE OPEN was as stable as riding the KDX on asphalt. I was really surprised an early '90's trail bike was so good at soaking up the rough stuff..

I still keep my eyes open for another WR200.... Great little bikes. (minus the pink decals)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
third eye OP
Adventurer

Thumb

After installing the race tech gold valves, springs and having the shock serviced with a stronger spring, it handles the rough stuff way better
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
stump branch
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler73 View Post
Funny you mention that... I had one for a while that was like magic in fast rough/unpredictable terrain. My KDX200 feels like its going to pitch you off with its flighty/headshakey feel. Yeah, I know...wide open rutty trails aren't the KDX's forte..but

The WR on the exact same trail WIDE OPEN was as stable as riding the KDX on asphalt. I was really surprised an early '90's trail bike was so good at soaking up the rough stuff..

I still keep my eyes open for another WR200.... Great little bikes. (minus the pink decals)

And pink rear spring. I picked up a fine example of the 92 wr200. Trying to find a decent place for any parts. I can imagine I'll flip end over end if or when i cut up a side faring our such plastics.it is a dream to ride though, perfect trail bike which is what i need.
stump branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #25
third eye OP
Adventurer

I had Precision Concepts rebuild the shock and told them to put on a stiffer spring if it needed it, which, it did. The new black Eibach looks and works so much better
Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,906
Anybody need a brand new piston and rings for a 94 . Sold the bike years ago.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Ive never seen a wr 200 or 250 in person up close hell I cant even find a 200 for sale .Yamaha must of imported 5 into the country as I have never seen one.What i wouldnt do to see Yamaha build these again Im tired of seeing 9 grand thumpers.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
third eye OP
Adventurer

I'd probably settle for a newer YZ250 and change the gearing around if I had to for single track. The suspension would be much better to start out with. One thing to notice is how the WR shock linkage points down to the ground. I tagged a rock with it last summer. Didn't break anything but it left a mark to show what happened