ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #361
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee View Post
By the way, just out of curiosity, as anyone yet bothered to take a picture of the uper rear shock fixation point, to see if BMW has made any design changes?

Cheers
Knowing BMW, I doubt it very very much.

Is anybody taking bets?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #362
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Knowing BMW, I doubt it very very much.

Is anybody taking bets?
May I join you on this one
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #363
skamikazee
Noviço
 
skamikazee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Portugal, Lisbon
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Knowing BMW, I doubt it very very much.

Is anybody taking bets?
Usualy i would.... but then again i saw somewhere on some aftermarket shocks something regarding how it would only fit models up to 2012
__________________
F800GS - Nellie the Elephant
skamikazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #364
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee View Post
Usualy i would.... but then again i saw somewhere on some aftermarket shocks something regarding how it would only fit models up to 2012
The question is if this is because it will actually not fit, or because the manufacturer simply doesn't know that they are the same....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #365
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner
 
SDDinNH's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Seacoast of NH
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
If it was just the two switches I would be ok with that. It's the third one,on the right side, to cancel the signals that messes with me. If they had done it the way Harley does it (tap the switch again to cancel) that would be a lot easier to deal with.

I wonder why BMW is having an issue with the switches? Have they given you a reason for the failures?

Either way, if BMW is having issues with them then I'll live with the strange location for the cancel button or just put one on the left side and use it.

Jon...
You know BMW - they never give a reason.

My guess is that they've made the switches so small to fit in the cluster that they've become fragile. Both the K's and now the RT's have had problems. My buddy's K went thru 4 switch clusters before he finally dumped it (for a different reason). He bought an RT and was disappointed it came with the same cluster. It's also on the 1600's. Those bikes have extra switches in that cluster for the windshield and ASC on the K, RT, and K1600 so they may be smaller, but they look the same to me.

Why not just let the auto-cancel take care of it. The signals stay on a few seconds longer but ........... I do that about 1/2 the time because by the time I've made the turn and cycled a couple gears, the auto-cancel has turned it off anyway.
__________________
Steve
2013 R1200 GSW
One out of four people is insane - check your three best friends - if they seem normal then it must be you!
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #366
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,275
Waiting on #2

Garage looks empty with only one '13 F800GS....number 2 hopefully will arrive in a few weeks...

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #367
GH41
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 822
"Just took delivery on the 2013 800GS last Friday. It is taller than I expected. After three years on a 650 GS I was growing a hunchback. I'm 6'2" and was getting very tired of how short the 650 was starting to feel"

So straightening your legs a little helps prevent a hunchback?? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #368
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Garage looks empty with only one '13 F800GS....number 2 hopefully will arrive in a few weeks...
So sad ... it has no one to talk to....

Do you have time to pop the seat and take a shot of the top shock mount ...
I am in agreement with recent chatter that it would be nice to know if BMW has done anything in this regard....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #369
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,275
Not sure what you are looking for but here are some pics. Hopefully I captured what you are looking for...







soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #370
skamikazee
Noviço
 
skamikazee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Portugal, Lisbon
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Not sure what you are looking for but here are some pics. Hopefully I captured what you are looking for...


Oh whow! So.....clean!

Thanks but in order to show the fixation point you'd have to remove the filter panel, cut those zipties around that plastic piece wich holds the canbus conector and also remove it.
I was just asking out of curiosity, it's not worth all the trouble!

Cheers
__________________
F800GS - Nellie the Elephant
skamikazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #371
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,275
LOL forget that..it's Cheryl's bike...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #372
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDinNH View Post
You know BMW - they never give a reason.

My guess is that they've made the switches so small to fit in the cluster that they've become fragile. Both the K's and now the RT's have had problems. My buddy's K went thru 4 switch clusters before he finally dumped it (for a different reason). He bought an RT and was disappointed it came with the same cluster. It's also on the 1600's. Those bikes have extra switches in that cluster for the windshield and ASC on the K, RT, and K1600 so they may be smaller, but they look the same to me.

Why not just let the auto-cancel take care of it. The signals stay on a few seconds longer but ........... I do that about 1/2 the time because by the time I've made the turn and cycled a couple gears, the auto-cancel has turned it off anyway.
Thanks for the reply about the switches. I had not thought about all the extra stuff in the switch assembly forcing them to make them smaller. I guess time will tell if the switches on the 800 and 700 will also have issues.

The auto-cancel feature is handy,

Jon...
__________________
2003 Nighthawk 750
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #373
Vagueante
Adventurer
 
Vagueante's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
"Just took delivery on the 2013 800GS last Friday. It is taller than I expected. After three years on a 650 GS I was growing a hunchback. I'm 6'2" and was getting very tired of how short the 650 was starting to feel"

So straightening your legs a little helps prevent a hunchback?? GH

You've answered better than me . Good point!
Vagueante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #374
GH41
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagueante View Post
You've answered better than me . Good point!
I have only had my F650 for ten months and my testosterone levels are so low I have scheduled a sex change! I figure when they cut my balls off I can get closer to the tank and my hunchback will go away! I am sure I will feel more comfortable on my bike as a girl. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #375
Vagueante
Adventurer
 
Vagueante's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
I have only had my F650 for ten months and my testosterone levels are so low I have scheduled a sex change! I figure when they cut my balls off I can get closer to the tank and my hunchback will go away! I am sure I will feel more comfortable on my bike as a girl. GH
GH41, i just couldn't get your point, don't need to be upset :)

If there's a thing in which bikes are the same it's the driving position.

Relax and ride safely
Vagueante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014