New Hampshire Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by sallydog, Sep 7, 2008.

1. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Go back a few hundred tags. Canobie Lake Park. That new spreadsheet might help you find it. (Thanks, 1-Wheel) That's good night work right there.:deal :lol3

The tag is tours.

:lurk
  2. 1 Wheel Drive

1 Wheel Drive Flatus Antiquous Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

You can easily make out the Piro Vineyard sign. The TOR is about getting out and riding to new places, out of your ordinary way. You clearly did that. And with a little gamma enhancement we can even see that is your bike in the foreground, not just some Ural mirror and a flashlight!! :lol3

[​IMG]
  3. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your great work 1 Wheel Drive!
  4. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It did take a while to go through all 6500 posts and sometimes search for the locations that weren't called out. But I think it will prove to be a valuable thing to have going forward. And we should be able to have some fun with the data (yeah I'm a geek)
  5. Zim

Zim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, actually... It's 4 miles from my house, and is not exactly out of my ordinary way. :evil

I was getting into Geocaching several years ago. One thing that annoyed me was geocachers who would watch for new caches like hawks, then try to be the "First to Find" (FTF) by finding the cache immediately, often times at night. The person placing the cache put it there for a reason... nice view, historic significance, etc. But then the weenies would zip out to the cache in the dark and get their little FTF to boast about and boost their numbers.

And then it happened to me. I spent quite a while devising a two part cache. Researched, wrote a story, created a puzzle, found two nice scenic locations that included some hiking, bought the trade items and included an expensive FTF prize. Once all was set, I placed the cache and listed it on the geocaching site. That night, in the dark, a geocacher did just what I had feared. Went to the first part by headlamp (which crossed a causeway, skirted a lake, and was next to a neat little dam), solved the puzzle, then bushwacked through the woods to the final cache, not even sticking to the trail. He missed everything I was trying to show, all for the FTF. Waste of a prize. I never placed another cache.

My dark picture reminded me of that, as did 1 Wheel Drive's quote above. So I won't claim the tag.

But for whoever does, it's on a nice road that's worth riding end to end.
  6. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    It's certainly your tag to grab or not, but many of us consider a night ride just a different kind of adventure. :deal
  7. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then if you don't want it. I just went end to end on shell camp rd was I in the neighborhood. I was curious where it was and didn't realize you weren't going to keep it.
  8. Zim

Zim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wrong zip code. You'd be better off processing ore.
  9. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    I found the address in Google and Google maps street view shows the sign (if you get to the right place in the road).

But if I rode the hour and a half to get there I know Gary will bruce me!
  10. NHADV

Oddometer:
    Well I have the tag no really I do but Smug Mug is kicking me off every time I attempt to log in. So I might get Bruced on this one!
  11. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    NH TOR List

:clap That is one serious piece of work 1 Wheel!! Holy Crap! It's cool that you can sort it so many ways (I love Excel most of the time).

I think one of the best uses, for me at least, is that now I'll be able to find those spots that I thought would be cool places to go :D, but didn't have the opportunity to grab the tag at the time. Thanks!!

I was keeping a map, for awhile, of those sorts of places and even that was a lot of work so I can only guess at what went in to that spreadsheet :eek1.
  12. NHADV

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    OLD TAG:
    Ok finally. Piro Vineyard Halls Hill Rd. on the town line of Alton and Gilmanton. New tag will depend on how much rain we get. It's already raining here. 1 wheel drive great work on organizing the past tags.
  13. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    tick, tock...

T'morrow's me birfday, and I'm takin' the day off. I was hoping for a new place to ride. :deal

side note: I've been playing with the old tag data (of course!) When I was recording it all, it seemed like we had tagged a lot of those NH Historical Markers. As I looked into that I see that some of those marker signs are not "official" NH state signs. Some (like the two, blue "Scenic Davis Drive" signs in New Boston) are put up by the town's historical committee, not the state. I know, this is splitting hairs, and these are equally worthy tag locations, but them being unofficial became apparent when I searched from them on the NH Historical Markers website.

So, yeah... we've tagged 32 of those historical markers. Seems like a lot. Except I find out that there are 231 of these markers out there!! :eek1 May be time to go find some of the more obscure ones, eh?

Tag on!
  14. NHADV

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alright before I exceed 36 hours here it is.
  15. NHADV

Oddometer:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED!!!:lol3. This is in the town I live in. After searching google I didnt find it right away but Google and I don't always get along.
  16. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    Old Tag

Lincoln Park, Belknap Point Rd, Gilford. Right on the big lake

[​IMG]

A beautiful birthday ride along the lake...
  17. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    NH Historical Markers...

The town (city) with the most number of historical markers is naturally our state capitol, Concord (11).

After Concord, there are two towns tied for second place with 5 official NH Historical Markers. This tag is all of the markers in one of those towns, the one originally incorporated in 1764 as "Poplin" . All 5 of this town's markers are within 3.2 miles, all along the same numbered state road, and they are all even on the same side of the road (north side)!!

To bag this tag, you'll want go here first:

[​IMG]

Then drive northwest to #5:

[​IMG]

Only the first and last marker are "required" for this tag. But you'll earn extra bonus points for photographs of the three intermediate markers...

marker 2 (only one that has ever been an NH TOR tag before), marker 3 & marker 4

Now, you could acquire the tags in the reverse order (I actually did), but if you get them in this order they will all be on the "right side of the road" for you. :deal
  18. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

In the area:evil
  19. clayhiker

clayhiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very interesting history lesson :evil
  20. 1 Wheel Drive

Oddometer:
    Oh oh...

I come back from a 4 day long weekend away, and see that nobody went after this tag this weekend? And Sunday was a gorgeous riding day! Is the tag too complicated?

Just grab any one of those 5 signs and move it!! :deal