User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
1st airhead, 1st post, '78 R80/7

Purchased my 1st airhead. Been driving BMW cars since '96 & now have a real beamer since everyone calls the 635 a beamer. Got tired of telling folks a beamer is a bike. I do know the guy I got the bike from. He's down to 2 now, a '75 R90/6 & an '85 K100. I feel I got the best of the 3 he had. It's stock & the wiring is untouched. Someone really got a hold of the wiring on his R90. Mileage is uncertain as the odo is scrambled.& was not working. But on the title when he bought it '93 was a mere 9K. He tells me it couldn't have more than a couple K on it since then & I think I believe him. He got it from the original owner where it sat for years. I usually only see him on one of the other 2. Repaired the slipping gear on the odo digit shaft. Upper odo still scrambled, but I can use the trip & I'll keep track of the roll overs. I'm not pulling it apart again anytime soon.

Just been taking care of maintenance & no surprises there. Rode it home & been riding since. The first issue was finding out why it would climb to 3K rpm's idling at a light. Right diaphram ripped. No, make that a constant oil light on. Found the wire to the oil sensor pinched by the jug bars at the motor mount as my 1st fix.. What a relief that was. Still have things to do of course, but wanted to introduce myself. I'm terrible with pics & will get some up as soon as possible. It's Brown, 3 digit code under the seat is gone, but I know it's something Gold.

I'll be around. I've spent the last couple weeks reading all I can to get familair with it. I do all my own wrenching on my machines. No one else.

Cheers Dave
dm635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
The rear splines can tell the tale as to milage. Pull the rear wheel and take a look at the drive spline wear. Should be very close to none if the mileage is that low.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Between benthic and my posts, you'll find plenty of R80/7 noob/fixing/wrenchit posts, along with a billion others here. Looking forward to reading more about yours! And seeing it!
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks for the tip on the wear. Haven't pulled either wheel yet, but will inspect when I do. The seller said odo was working when he bought it with 9K. He paid a local bike mech $800 in '93 to bring it up to riding condition after it sat for many years. I talked with him & he said he named the bike the dog food bike because after he got it started it continued to throw dog food out the exhaust. And giving it the gas it threw it across the shop. Seller also said he's been riding air heads since '85. Both his other bikes have higher mileage. I just never saw him riding this R80 much.He said the oil light being lit bothered him as it did me. Even though he was told pressure was fine. I found the cause in short order once home. About all the seller knows is how to ride & pay someone else to work on it. Still, like I said, I got in my opinion the best one of the 3 he had. I've riden both his other bikes & the higher mileage R90 has more clunks than my R80 which still fells tight. One problem I have is some very intermittent false neutrals between 4th & 5th. Not worried about it, I'll just shift up a little harder. Since repairing the odo I've got around 800 miles on it. Already love it compared to all the other 70's bikes I've owned.

I suppose this will be my build thread, unless I start another.Changed all fluids, cleaned carbs, adjusted valves, plugs, checked points & timing (spot on, most likely original, & my timing light works after many yrs of non use), lube throttle gears & swing arm & much more. He gave me a '55-'75 Clymer & a toaster tank owners manual. Got to get updated documentation, but these have helped. Believe the owners manual is from a '73 R75 & I'll trade with someone for one that's for my bike.

So, is it Beemer or Beamer? Thanks all.

Dave

PS- Haven't updated my location. I'm outside Louisville Ky.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 434
I also have a 78 R80. I love it. It does anything. My buddy calls it the T-55. Nothing better than riding around on a few decades old motorcycle, some people can't fathom why you would do that???
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post

So, is it Beemer or Beamer? Thanks all.
Beemer, as in "Beem" for BM, not Beam like a ray of sunshine.

As long as you don't say Bimmer, most folks probably won't pick nits over the spelling.
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Used to be Beemer for bikes, Bimmer for cars. Somewhere along the way, Yuppies started calling their cars Beemers.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
The first issue was finding out why it would climb to 3K rpm's idling at a light. Right diaphram ripped. No, make that a constant oil light on. Found the wire to the oil sensor pinched by the jug bars at the motor mount as my 1st fix.
Cheers Dave
Dave-
Did you replace the diaphragm(s)? Did it fix your high idle? Curious.....
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Used to be Beemer for bikes, Bimmer for cars. Somewhere along the way, Yuppies started calling their cars Beemers.
They have tried to call their cars Beemers but we don't allow it.

There is a story about the origin of the term Beemer. Sorry, I'm afraid I would get too much of it wrong if I tried to tell the whole thing. But I may be able to tell some of the story. Many years ago when Radio was King motorcycle racing was also very big. There would be competitions between the Marques like the one known between Harley Davidson and Indian. And did you know that the traditional enemy on the race track of BMW was BSA? The BSA announcer (different Marques would have their own announcer) started calling their bikes the Beezers. Cool huh? Beezers really caught on and it sounded cool for sure. Well the BMW announcer eventually came up with Beemer and so the race was on, so to speak. It was the Beezers against the Beemers. All this happened well before the war, that is WWII. And BMW bikes have been known as Beemers ever since.

The car guys are not allowed to use our name.

That's how I remember it. Have we lost this battle about the use of our name? I thought we were still winning but I could be wrong.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

I'll respond in order to the replies.

1- I don't see alot on the early R80's as compared to other models. Read somewhere that 18K where built throughout its span. Must have been a lot more made of the R75, 90 & 100.

2- I'll get Beemer right from now on. Spelled it beamer since I've also read it was from when people used to flash each other. And I do know what a Bimmer is as I've been driving one for 16 yrs. Started with E30's & now on my 3rd E24, an '87 635CSi. Even a member of one website called Bimmer forums.

3- I am not a yuppie by any means, but everyone calls the 6 a beemer. No one has ever called it a bimmer unless they own one.

4- Yes, I did install a new diaphram for the idle climbing. I'm sure that did cure the problem. I did do other things to the bike at the same time. When I checked the air filter it was completely covered with seeds & other stuff. Wondering how a rodent or whatever got in there. But it was full. Haven't pulled the tank yet to see if something built a nest there. Have loosened the nuts & had a look and didn't see anything. I did clean both carbs when I did the diaphram. Couldn't do the other side as someone JB welded the diaphram plastic ring to the slide. They probably cracked the ring to do that. Can't replace the diaphram on that side until I get a ring and/or slide. For now that diaphram is good on the other side. After cleaning the carbs & before the diaphram then I had trouble getting to 4K & acceleration past that was gone.

Another problem I had was no tail or brake light. Fuse fixed the tail light, but the male spade at the taIL/brake light assy. for the brake was loose. Tried to peen it back down like the ground & tail spades, but that wasn't working. Had to solder it. And have a blob of solder, I like to make my solder joints nice & clean, wasn't possible in this case. And it is working. Another problem is no reserve. Ran out of gas & thought no problem, hit reserve. Turning to reserve I was still out of gas & stranded. Have to pull the petcocks, reserve tubes must be clogged. Even though fuel was sloshing, there was none coming from the pulled fuel lines going to the carb. I just keep the tank full & now that I have the trip odo working can monitor better.

When doing the carbs I noticed one needle is higher than the other. I didn't adjust either since I didn't know which one was off. What is the proper notch for the needle. Both plugs look good, but when I got it the right plug was black. Have a feeling the previous owner didn't rev like I do. I don't red line but hit 5.5- 6K regularly up shifting & I'm sure that helps keeps the plugs burning good.

Thanks Dave

Edit- Sorry Disston, couldn't respond to you as I was typing my reply as you posted. That's a good story. Not to worry, I definitely know the difference between Beemer & Bimmer. Thanks for all the respones guys. I'm new to the air head, but not turning my own wrench. Started learning with bicycles as a kid. Now on my 1st car back in the early 70's (a '61 Belair) I was dangerous.

dm635 screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 05:21 AM
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Got some records from the PO yesterday. Stack included records from about 4 air heads. I am indeed the 3rd owner as I was told. 1st owner bought new 6/78 ($3,500) & owned until '92. Mileage 8,600 when sold in '92. 2nd owner owned from '92 until last month when I took ownership. He still stands by his statement that this '78 R80/7 couldn't have more than a couple thousand since during his ownership. And I always saw him riding 1 of his other 2 beemers, hardly ever this '78. Odo was scambled & not working. Repaired & have trip odo working

Now, did I pay too much. I really don't think so considering. Paid $2,500 for an original unmolested example.And the wiring is untouched. I think I'll keep it as is since it's only original once. Not crazy about the Brown color, but it's growing on me slowly.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Thanks for all the respones guys. I'm new to the air head, but not turning my own wrench. Started learning with bicycles as a kid. Now on my 1st car back in the early 70's (a '61 Belair) I was dangerous.[/QUOTE]

You are the perfect type to fall for the charm of Airheads. We actually sometimes work on our bikes too much.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Do not be too concerned about false neutrals. These trannys take at least 20k miles to wear in. Learn to shift possatively and it will get smoother with miles.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks Disston for that comment. I'm finding this bike a breeze to learn with what I've done so far. I'll have to keep it now that it's marked me. PO was stead fast that I use the center stand & shut off the pet cocks. I don't trust that goofy side stand anyway. Doing the center stand wearing shorts the exhaust gave me 3 scars above the ankle. Part of the learning process that I learned the hard way which is my M.O. Do so wearing jeans & boots.

Thanks Dok about the trans loosening up. Bike is barely half way to the 20 K mark. Both the PO & myself live out in the country & do some riding just to get into traffic. The 1st traffic light I hit is 10 miles away. Then another 5 miles to town. Any other direction I might hit a stop sign here & there. I'm around 45 east east of Louisville. Fluid has been changed & I'll keep dino for all changes. Don't want to start any new leaks. Only leaks right now are apparently the lower push rod seals.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I agree, most of us I think agree, use the petcocks, please. And they should work. Test them. They can be rebuilt.

The center stand is really better. I'm for it. But I have a Reynolds and it's hard to use in the spot I park. You do have to do things the way that works for you. There is an after market side stand BTW that riders like. I don't have one but some riders I swear if they didn't have a Brown side stand they would sell their bike.

I don't have a problem really with my stock side stand. It wobbles a little. It retracts by it self most of the time. Does the job.