User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #961
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Cool2 Kill switch.

Yep, it was the same with my other bikes. So no harm done I guess if i turn key off right after?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #962
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leap of Faith View Post
Yep, it was the same with my other bikes. So no harm done I guess if i turn key off right after?
No harm done, but why would you make it a 2 step process? Just get in the habit of turning off the key and you may save yourself some problems.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #963
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Wicked Got it!

Makes sense! Time for me to "keep it simple stupid!"
Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #964
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Electrical shutdown while riding, F800gs

I was heading back from a couple of days of riding trails and fire roads in Northern WI.
I was going about 60mph on pavement, when my bike Suddenly Shut Down. The display went blank and there was No power. The wheels did Not lock up, and I coasted to the side of the road. I turned the key off and restarted the engine, and everything worked like nothing had happened. Rode another 200 miles without incident.

Any ideas??
I checked the battery connections when I got home, and they seemed fine.
(2009 F800gs with 9500 miles). I know I'm not a new owner, but I still have lots of stupid questions.
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #965
BillACK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
MSF teaches to always use the kill switch to turn off the bike. The rational is, you develop the habit of using the kill switch so if you need to kill the bike in an emergency, (for example you drop the bike and it's in gear, merrily spinning the rear wheel) you will automatically reach for the kill switch rather than groping for the ignition key.

Works for me anyway.

Bill Potter
Webster NH
BillACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #966
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillACK View Post
MSF teaches to always use the kill switch to turn off the bike.
No they don't... they teach you to use the engine cut-off switch. :)
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #967
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasliah View Post
I was heading back from a couple of days of riding trails and fire roads in Northern WI.
I was going about 60mph on pavement, when my bike Suddenly Shut Down. The display went blank and there was No power. The wheels did Not lock up, and I coasted to the side of the road. I turned the key off and restarted the engine, and everything worked like nothing had happened. Rode another 200 miles without incident.

Any ideas??
(2009 F800gs with 9500 miles). I know I'm not a new owner, but I still have lots of stupid questions.
There should be an error code stored in the computer. Of coarse the only way to find out is take it to a dealer who might be able to figure it out. I'd keep riding and not worry about it unless it happens again. Sometimes weird things happen in the cambus that shut things down. Turning off the key and starting again resets the system. The weird thing may never happen again.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #968
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #969
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasliah View Post

Any ideas??

Something like that happened to me once, it turned out that I was leaving my elbow on the tank area, and accidentally turned off the key, I didn't quite get stopped and realized it, turned it back on, and took off again...

LOL felt pretty stupid.

Ryan
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #970
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 871
Going on a long trip. Would you just carry a tube repair kit or a spare tube. If a spare tube, just a 21" and make it work for either tire?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #971
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 871
And while I'm at it... carry a spare masterlink? Size?

Or just roadside assistance card?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #972
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Chain is size 525. I carry a master link and a few extra links in case a couple links get damaged when it breaks. Also small, strong chain tool (motion pro) Especially for a long trip I carry tubes and a patch kit. Have fun!

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #973
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
Going on a long trip. Would you just carry a tube repair kit or a spare tube. If a spare tube, just a 21" and make it work for either tire?

PA Slammer
Tubes are fairly heavy and bulky so I like to just carry a patch kit. However, I have seen tubes shredded and beyond patching or the stem broke off so carrying an extra tube is a good idea. A larger tube will work on a smaller rim, but not the other way around so carry just the 21". That should get you to someplace you can get the right size tube.

One thought though is if you are going to be a long way from civilization you might want to carry both because the rear tube size can be hard to find.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #974
tempeturtle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
O.k, here it goes. should I be using the kill switch or the key to turn off my engine? On my older bikes I have always used the kill switch but when I read BMW manual it seems that the state for use on an emergency. Help!
The used the kill switch to turn both my BMW's off. The one on the F800gs broke off and I was told that I had to replace the whole switch part not just the switch arm which is very expensive. The BMW shop said that it was for emergencies only and not to be used to turn the bike off. They said use the key..... that is what I do now and never replaced the broken off red little arm.
tempeturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #975
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
O.k, here it goes. should I be using the kill switch or the key to turn off my engine? On my older bikes I have always used the kill switch but when I read BMW manual it seems that the state for use on an emergency. Help!
No one said kickstand yet?!?

The problem with using anything but the key is if you don't get into the habit of turning the key and grabbing it, you may leave it in the bike and drain the battery.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote