User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
2nd that

I lived in Colorado and Alaska before that. I won't say that the desert territory of Utah, Arizona, or Nevada are prettier, but I am alwys just amazed every time I go to those places. They are all very pretty.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #32
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Diamond in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I dont know why this RR doesnt have 15 pages of replies by now; I think its awesome. Hows that KLR handling the rougher stuff? My DR is about the same and im curious if im going to fight hell doing the type of exploring you guys are
I think everyone gets caught up in the wilderness of Alaska or the mountain view scene of Colorado; it seems they neglect the beauty of places like Nevada, Wyoming, etc.. Sometimes the openness is exactly what I want to feel, and those states excel in that. Yet another report thats influencing my ride next year

Thank you, GSF1200S, I guess our RR is a diamond in the rough. In response to your KLR question, we will be doing a full gear review at the end of the report. Stay tuned for details!

I have never been to this part of Nevada, only Vegas, and the remoteness and solitude of Northern NV was great. However, we both were thinking about the possibility of a crash or a major mechanical. We would be a day from help in some sections of the NV TAT. The TAT is the real deal and I underestimated the TAT's ability to put me in the middle of nowhere on some very technical sections.

Giddy Up screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 09:22 AM
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Bad ass report; I love love Cycles South. I could watch that move 1,00 times. Keep up the posts and photos!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
scooterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 7 View Post
\We tried to talk to him, but he wasn't much of a conversationalist, probably because he was in a rush to get back to sweating and staring at the wall. That's Preston for ya.
I don't care who you are. That right there is funny!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 325
Great photos, great ride...keep it comin

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddy Up View Post
The cattle are very coordinated in Nevada. :-)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the cattle piles. To quote Jurassic Park, "That is, uh, onebigpileofshit."

These things were all over the place. Sometimes they'd be 4 feet in diameter and 12 inches deep! We could never figure out what was happening. Ten cows crapping in a circle? One cow that stood there all day crapping? Or my favorite idea: a wind vortex swept it up and left it there....crap devils?

If anybody is trained in the cow arts, chime in. I'm curious about the giant turd piles of Nevada.
Lucky 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #37
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6

Day 6

It took a few days, but I was starting to sleep like a dead bear at this point in the trip. I still didn't make it much past sunrise, but the sleeping was good out here. I'd usually get moving first, start the coffee water, and start breaking down camp. Most nights we didn't even bother with the tent or tarp, so it went pretty quick. Then I had some time to read my book while John stuffed everything into his dry bags. As it turns out, hard cases make for convenient packing. Panniers...winning.

Out of camp we thought we'd be into Eureeka quickly, but Sam had other ideas. His route along the road less traveled got a little out of hand at this point as the road nearly disappeared entirely. We finally made our way out to something resembling a trail.

This took us onto the Loneliest Highway and into Eureka. The highway was aptly named, until we hit some construction and found it to be damn near the most social highway.

We talked to a couple from California for awhile (the truck behind us). He said he'd done a cross country trip on a Harley in the 60s and come through this section of road. I guess it was even lonelier back then. Sounded like he had a good time. Finally the flag lady let us through and we said farewell to our highway friends. Around the corner was Eureka.

We got gas and water and had a funny conversation with the Sheriff who accused us of being a motorcycle gang. He called us 3 percenters and then started laughing. Apparently he didn't think we were very threatening. Oh well.

After Eureka it was back to the burnin' desert, which was really earning it's name today. The rains of yesterday had passed and we were headed into the mouth of the dust bowl.

Dust hazard: Next 700 miles.

Between Eureka and Battle Mountain, there's a whole lot of empty space. We would cross mountains and valleys and do it again between sightings of man-made structures. The scale of it all was amazing. You just don't want to think about crashing and having to get yourself out of there.

No crash, no crash, no crash, no crash, no crash, no crash, no crash....

Eventually we hit ranch land again and welcomed the return of our old friend the cow.

This was a surprise. We didn't see any sheep before or after this. But here they were, packed into the shade like cord wood.

More private property for us to amble through.

Don't shoot, we like beef, too. Well, not John, he's a vegetarian. Okay, if you have to shoot somebody, shoot John.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,898
nice and mellow adventure. can't wait for more.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #39
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back into the mountains. This should be our last range before Battle Mountain. I decided I wanted some diner food and John was hoping for a shower.

As we dropped out of the mountains, the fires started to show themselves. You should be able to see some mountains back there behind these cows. Smokey Bear is not impressed.

In Battle Mountain we got some chain lube for John's very worn chain and asked the Napa guy where to eat.

"Well, you got the Owl Club...that's purty good. Then you got the Hideaway Steakhouse. That's purty good too." (looks around conspiratorily) "It's REAL good."

Don't question the locals, we say. On to the Hideaway Steakhouse. For reasons unexplained, they wouldn't let us in at first, then changed their minds and decided to seat us. We chose the table that already had somebody at it.

What's that? An elk burger? I want some...

The food was bad and the service was terrible, but at least we didn't spill a whole tub of soup all over the table. Oh wait, that happened too. Next time you're in Battle Mountain, I'd recommend trying the Owl. It might not be better, but it's probably not worse.

After food, we almost got a motel but decided that open air was more important than running water. With no obvious campsites, we headed out on the TAT in search of BLM land.

We found a spot in the middle of nowhere with a little holding tank for cover.

I'm on a tank. I'm on a tank. Everybody look at me 'cause I'm standin' on a tank.

There were mountains around in every direction, but you wouldn't have known because the smoke was so thick. Sunset revealed the truth. It was cool watching the sun drop behind nothing.

This was our first day of real dust and desert. The expanse of the land was staggering to the point of being impossible to fully grasp. The world we're used to was starting to feel very far away. Time to rest the bikes and get some sleep. We both knew that there was a lot more of Nevada out there waiting for us.

Mileage: 177
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Really great report !

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Wow, you guys have tackled some great terrain. Really enjoying your ride report, the pics, and even the cow.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Great Ride Report .I'm In!!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Smoke

Quote:

I'm on a tank. I'm on a tank. Everybody look at me 'cause I'm standin' on a tank.

Mileage: 177

This valley was filled with smoke from the fires. The fires started to be a common occurrence for the rest of the trip. It was nice to have the texts from Pat about their location in relation to the TAT.
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the cattle piles. To quote Jurassic Park, "That is, uh, onebigpileofshit."

These things were all over the place. Sometimes they'd be 4 feet in diameter and 12 inches deep! We could never figure out what was happening. Ten cows crapping in a circle? One cow that stood there all day crapping? Or my favorite idea: a wind vortex swept it up and left it there....crap devils?

If anybody is trained in the cow arts, chime in. I'm curious about the giant turd piles of Nevada.
My guess would have to be the piles are where they shoveled the crap out of a cattle trailer after hauling them.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought of that possibility, but they were EVERYWHERE...including in the middle of field where you'd never park a trailer or bother to shovel shit. Mysteries of the universe.