Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #61
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Oh no...the end of paper road books already?
Nope, I'm a traditionalist. Paper all the way! KISS is the answer.
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #62
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
Paper all the way!
Except when you're creating the roadbook, in which case an all new and innovative software tool can make all the difference. Thanks to Mike and Dave and a few others, roadbook making is about to change!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #63
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Mike's on his honeymoon, so we won't have anything more to say for at least a couple of weeks. Stay tuned. You can bet that we'll leak our progress to this thread first.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #64
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo View Post
We've had really good luck using road book editor for printing and distributing to multiple riders
http://rbeditor.valleyfield.se/en/dev.php

I made a lot of symbols for in cad to work with the program. you can find them here
http://www.texasoffroad.net/gallerie...-tulips?page=1
Hey Kenaroo, thanks for the tulips those are nice, before I load the rbeditor software, does it print out in a RB format and make page breaks? Could you tell me a little more about it and maybe a screen shot?

Quote:
I finally figured out that if you keep the compass bearing that most can follow the course and mark the big changes and issues.
I like that idea and will clean up the notes I have with that in mind. Thanks

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #65
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,010
We might try running a PDF version of the stage notes we use for rallying in the USA on an Ipad for one of our next events. Currently have a paper book that works well enough. But always interested in trying something new. The ipad has the advantage of being backlit thus eliminating a map light which can be distracting for both codriver and driver and no need to turn pages which can be tricky with some technical sections. Might also open up improved highlighting.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #66
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,763
Seth, how robust are the ipads in accidents/drops though ? ... I mean, there should be a paper version with the each crew no?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #67
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
Quote:
We've had really good luck using road book editor for printing and distributing to multiple riders
http://rbeditor.valleyfield.se/en/dev.php

I made a lot of symbols for in cad to work with the program. you can find them here
http://www.texasoffroad.net/gallerie...-tulips?page=1

Here are the steps I go through to make a route
  • I get an idea for a route and an Idea of where I want to go
  • get on google earth to check things out and make a plan
  • check to make sure nothing is on private property and if needed seek permission
  • double check my topo map program to see if all the trails and roads are on it
  • route and download the track in my gps
  • ride the route and explore options and make sure it's duable
  • ride the route and start taking notes using blank road book paper in road book
  • input into RBE and print
  • re-ride and make corrections to road book
  • think you got the picture.

When starting out I had a habit of over marking the course... sometimes too much information can confuse the riders too. Marking every corner and bump in the road also takes a lot of time.

I finally figured out that if you keep the compass bearing that most can follow the course and mark the big changes and issues.

Thanks for the tulips! I've been using RB editor on some roadbooks I'm working on, too.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #68
c.vestal OP
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,817
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
Mike's on his honeymoon, so we won't have anything more to say for at least a couple of weeks. Stay tuned. You can bet that we'll leak our progress to this thread first.

Dave
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #69
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Seth, how robust are the ipads in accidents/drops though ? ... I mean, there should be a paper version with the each crew no?
If we can work it out so we can run a PDF version I will of course have a paper copy in the car as well. I will have the Ipad in some sort of protective case and likely come up with a way to help secure it in the car. The trick to surviving a crash is not to crash. This again will be in a car not on a bike and this is for a stage rally not a navigational rally.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 10:06 AM
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #70
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Hey Kenaroo, thanks for the tulips those are nice, before I load the rbeditor software, does it print out in a RB format and make page breaks? Could you tell me a little more about it and maybe a screen shot?
Paul,

You can edit the print size in RBeditor. Also text size, etc. There are some things I don't like about it, but for most purposes, like recreational roadbook rides, I think it works pretty well. I have a nice loop down this way that I put together; I'm hoping to have a little weekend ride next summer; out of time for this year, I'm afraid.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #71
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
Seth:

the Kraken Ipad cover works great.. I'm in construction and it's holding up well to dust, dropping and thrashing around my truck on a daily basis.
http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-prod...ad-ipad-2.aspx

Paul... I agree with HayDuke.. RBE is pretty good. I actually print to my PDF converter and change the sizes to get two pages on one 8.5x11 sheet.

think if you had a Zebra printer that prints rolls you could use that for continuous rolls

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #72
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Seth:

the Kraken Ipad cover works great.. I'm in construction and it's holding up well to dust, dropping and thrashing around my truck on a daily basis.

Paul... I agree with HayDuke.. RBE is pretty good. I actually print to my PDF converter and change the sizes to get two pages on one 8.5x11 sheet.

think if you had a Zebra printer that prints rolls you could use that for continuous rolls

We have a xerox plotter at work that prints on 34" wide rolls that have to be several hundred feet long. I suspect they would frown upon me printing roadbooks out on it but the ability is out there.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #73
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Seth:

Under "Roadbook" and "properties" you can convert the size of the roadbook; I find that 400 pixels wide is perfect for the F2R roadbook holder, but I can't do two pages on a sheet.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #74
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Paul,

Here's an image of a printed page from RBE. I still need to drop in the tulips, but it's an idea of what it looks like...

The thing I dislike about it is that the text section on the right is not very adaptable; everything is the same size, same font, etc. and no way to add an image there (for up/down indications or HP, etc.)

Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #75
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Paul,

Here's an image of a printed page from RBE. I still need to drop in the tulips, but it's an idea of what it looks like...

The thing I dislike about it is that the text section on the right is not very adaptable; everything is the same size, same font, etc. and no way to add an image there (for up/down indications or HP, etc.)
Quote:
That'll help a lot, I made a sketch in Solidworks and printed out a bunch and then just hand marked up what I needed, having it digital and taking out some rows and adding headings will get me what I want. Thanks guys.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote