Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Looks like a great way to spend some "learning" time.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,159
GB,

Y'know, my oldest son married a gal whose father was the "perfect" brother-in-law: rides a motorcycle (Thruxton), listened to Wagner (as I do), and was a Civil War buff. HE always referred to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression."

Unfortunately my son and that gal split, so no more perfect brother-in law

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Always interested in reading your perspectives in your ride reports, and your Civil War (aka War of Northern Aggression) angle has my attention again.. bon voyage..
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
i assume that gettysburg will be on your civil war path? I rode up there in July...it's a don't miss...camping was good too, about 10 miles outside of town.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
GB,

Y'know, my oldest son married a gal whose father was the "perfect" brother-in-law: rides a motorcycle (Thruxton), listened to Wagner (as I do), and was a Civil War buff. HE always referred to the Civil War as the "War of Northern Aggression."

Unfortunately my son and that gal split, so no more perfect brother-in law

--Doc
Did your former bro-in-law still refer to northerners as "yankees?" I'm a bit of a civil war buff myself and while engaged in conversation with a fellow from Lousiana, he always referred to folks from the north as yankees, after all these years..

Looking forward to your report pearls and pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Did your former bro-in-law still refer to northerners as "yankees?" I'm a bit of a civil war buff myself and while engaged in conversation with a fellow from Lousiana, he always referred to folks from the north as yankees, after all these years..

That's common in the real south. I recall meeting my Wife's Grandmother (Macon GA). First thing she said "I guess its alright if you marry a Yankee, sure seems nice enough".

Every been to Texas? I used to go down there to work, that made me a DAM Yankee.
Even though my ancestors were some of the original European settlers of Texas, I never lived there
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Love reading your reports Dr. Greg! I'm kinda partial to your bike of choice and you definitely are a class act with a name like Greg.

If you visit the second bloodiest battle of the Civil War, I'm a local. There's a roof and furnished garage at the base of Lookout Mountain that you are most welcome at. :-)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Dr. Greg was a great guest and look forward to having him visit again.

Have a safe trip.....Joni and Alan
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,616

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 05:44 PM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Hell, I used to work with an African-American guy that refers to y'all as Yankees. Like the license plate says:

Looking forward to the rest of the ride report.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587

Congratulations on your newest member of the family. She is beautiful. Thanks for the ride report, I am enjoying it.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Wednesday 9/26: Scurry, Texas - Shreveport, Louisiana

After a wonderful night's sleep somewhere in East Texas (why do I always sleep BETTER "on the road" than at home?) my host Alan managed to find me a few fragments for breakfast. In all fairness, he DOES make a mean pot of coffee, which he served in the largest mugs I have ever seen (sorry for not taking a pic...guess I was too well rested)

A Non-Interstate Route out thru East Texas

The country in East Texas is definitely different than West Texas...namely, it's green.

I mean, look at that!

Sorry for getting so excited, but I come from BROWN New Mexico---and before that---BROWN Southern California. So GREEN (just like running water) is sort of a foreign concept for me...

Alan suggested a route which kept me on secondary roads---definitely my preference. After all, I only had about 200 miles to ride to Shreveport, Louisiana. So I headed out thru Athens, Jacksonville, and Rusk, finally culminating in a lunch stop at the tiny town of Cushing, Texas. Some of those cool back roads had "overhanging" trees:

Lunch at the "7th Street Restaurant"

I was advised to stop in Cushing at the aforementioned restaurant. Doesn't look like much on the outside:

After asking the (lovely...will you marry me? Oops, I'm already married) waitress for her recommendations, I ended up ordering just a hamburger and fries (I'm a hopeless conservative at heart). BUT it was the thickest hamburger I've had since my 3rd son Mark fixed me my "65th birthday burger" in Yantai, CHINA. See?

Who Says Dr. Greg Isn't Cultured?

While eating my (excellent!) hamburger (which I ordered with Jalapeno peppers, being a New Mexican) I did a little reading on my phone. Now how many ADV riders read about Wagner (that's the composer for you culture-deprived morons) while eating a burger? You guys probably don't even know who Wotan is...just kidding, just kidding.

After lunch I strolled around to the back of the "7th Street Restaurant"...wow, the place really IS is junkyard...

Just my style.

Nicholas Trammel (Flamel?)

In an effort to waste time (I couldn't get to Shreveport too early, cuz my hosts wouldn't be home) I stopped at all possible "historical monuments." *This one was all about Nicholas Trammel.

Hmmm, Nicholas Trammel? Wasn't he in Harry Potter? Oops, no...that was Nicholas FLAMMEL, right? Wasn't that the name? Man, I can't remember. * ' old.

Well, in any event, here's Nicholas' historical marker and a familiar bike:

Another Way to Waste Time...

As I was going through Carthage, Texas, I pulled over into a big "church" parking lot to take a break (and waste some more time). In a few minutes, this guy:

came over and started talking. Turns out he was a rider, and was intrigued with the Multistrada 1200S. He was kind of an interesting guy: had most of facts right, but not all. Have you ever spoken with someone like that? Had most of his facts right, but not quite. For example, he thought the Multi had THREE riding modes, but it really has FOUR. Now how could someone make a mistake like that?

It did, however, waste 45 minutes. *Excellent.

Between Carthage and I-20, I crossed another river. Water! And you know my weakness for running water...

Stopped at yet another Texas "picnic area"...this one JUST BEFORE the Louisiana border. Look at all the trees!

I strolled out among the trees, and found these luscious-looking berries:

Having never had a biology class (honest!) I figured with my luck they were poisonous...

Arrival in Shreveport, Louisiana...

After a moment of panic (nobody home!) I arrived at the home of my hosts (Jeff and Becky), who graciously volunteered for a photograph:

And look at the GUMBO dinner that Becky fixed!!

And it TASTED even better than it looked. *We won't talk about dessert (I'm still trying to finish it...yum!)

Tomorrow: Natchez, Mississippi

The plan for tomorrow is to take I-20 (yeah, I don't like interstates) over to Vicksburg, MS, and the Civil War stuff there. *Any of you guys heard of the "Siege of Vicksburg?" *After that, I'll head south towards Natchez, and hook up with an inmate in that area.

Sorry...I feel like this is kind of a crummy report. But it was a short day, and it was hot. *And I'm tired. *Good night, see *y'all (see, I sound like a Texan!) in the mornin'...

--Doc

PS. Oops, being in Shreveport, Louisiana (birthplace of "Fast Freddie" Spencer), I was gonna post the pic of Freddie and Doc, but I forgot. Too tired now, but tomorrow morning for sure.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)

Dr. Greg screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 09:27 PM
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
TheRoss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Now that you have been to Carthage, might I suggest the film "Bernie" for when you return home?

Enjoying the report Dr Greg!
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #28
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Freddie Spencer

As promised, here's the pic of "Fast Freddie" Spencer and Dr. Greg:

This was taken at the Santa Fe, New Mexico airport in 1998. Freddie was the "guest speaker" at the 1998 Honda Sport Touring Ass'n. "STAR" rally. As rally organizer, I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Freddie, then taking him to the airport.

He was (is) always one of my heroes. Can you IMAGINE the mental and physical effort of winning BOTH the 250cc and the 500cc (er, MotoGP) classes IN THE SAME YEAR?!? Of course, that was 1985. It was rumored the effort so drained him he was never the same, which seems believable.

A very nice guy, and still looked pretty fit to me. Here's to ya, Freddie! Hee, hee...note the huge cell phone hanging off his belt

--Doc

PS. Yes, I did ask him about "THE PASS" in 1983 in Sweden where he beat Kenny Roberts for the 500cc title. I believe Roberts' quote was: "I underestimated what he was prepared to do to win..."

PPS. Someone said that I bore a resemblance to Eddie Lawson in that pic. Believe me, any similarity ends there!

PPPS. My host (Jeff) here in Shreveport (Freddie's hometown) said his neighbor remembers riding with Freddie when he was a kid. Too bad I won't have time to talk to him. Of course only a tiny fraction of USA residents would even KNOW ABOUT Freddie and motorcycle road racing at that time. And to think the USA dominated...KR, Freddie, Eddie, Wayne, Kevin, and several more...sigh.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Sounds like you had fun ride through East Texas.
After seeing all these other great meals you're eating, I'm going to have to vastly improve my "hosting" skills.
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #30
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
WEll Doc, great RR and I hope since you are that far 'South' you will be taking advantage of your area and riding the Natchz Trace for it is one beautiful ride and rich in history.

safe ride, gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote