Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Mike. you weren't kidding about the 7,364 gates! Some were a PITA to stretch back closed. Our system started out, if the gate was open in through, it stays open, Pulled back it gets closed. We didn't want to let any range cows out, nor did we want to keep any of them from getting to water. Hopefully we didn't get any wrong....there were a couple I wasn't so sure.

there were some interesting gate designs engineered from what was at hand, most had to be secured with barb wire. Ranchers must have tougher gloves than my riding gloves, got poked more than a few times!

this gate came equipped with a Hamilton Beach toaster on it's post! I bet it still works!

ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050
I leave gates as I find them, but honestly ... they sometimes make it very difficult to do the right thing ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
After opening and closing so many barbed wire fence gates, an actual cattle guard crossing seemed like a gift. Sometimes I was amazed by the logic of placement, though. We would be miles down a totally overgrown road only to find a nice cattle guard crossing that obviously had cost some serious money to install.

So back to the pictures.

Next up on Day 1 was a very, very long section of flat open desert. Mike routed us along a buried pipeline, which added some interesting stripes to the otherwise non-descript route. Throughout this section I was worried about my fuel problems -- improper tank venting and general paranoia about gas mileage. With a 5 gallon tank, I figured my 610 was good for 200+ miles. But with the higher elevation (always >3000 feet and jetting for sea level) I was only getting about 35 mph.

Finally to our first serious water crossing -- the Owyhee. Let the fun begin!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #34
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Water! As Mike showed in his original post, they had problems with deep water last year. While crossing the Owyhee was a little daunting, it did not pose a serious problem. Mike and Dan crossed first -- before I was able to get there and document any potential mishaps. I crossed next, but not before shifting my very expensive SLR from my tank bag to my backpack.

Chuck (Duckspanker) went next:

He took the speed approach. Bill and the KLR took a more leisurely pace -- and had to dip his boots as a result!

ahh...the relief of a successful crossing. Onward east:

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #35
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

On more for right now: Dr Dan on the gas!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #36
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great photos........

That looks like some pretty deep water but the end result must've been o.k. as nothing I noticed said anything about a stalled bike. Thanks for a great ride report......that's some pretty good riding that you guys did.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #37
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Marc cut me some slack in the post, I stalled the klr and got 1 boot wet dabbing. Which I had to pour out on the other side. Better I should blame it on the bike (excuses excuses) )I had not rerouted the vacuum carb vent high, When the ends get blocked the slide will not lift properly, if the throttle opened too far the bike will cough out. Fixed that the very same evening guaranteeing there would be no more deep stuff, LOL, and it worked!

cheers wB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
That looks like some pretty deep water but the end result must've been o.k. as nothing I noticed said anything about a stalled bike. Thanks for a great ride report......that's some pretty good riding that you guys did.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Foot injury

Your right Mike, with my foot injury I could not do the massive route you had planned and I am very thankfull you changed it up some so I could join the ride this year. Just thinking about how much fun we had last year keep me working hard on my PT getting ready for this epic ride. I will gross a few people out and post some pics of my foot to show eveyone what I was dealing with on my end.

So now I am done making everyone sick, lets get back to the ride report for day 1.
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #39
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I could not believe our luck, the weather cleared up a few days before the trip and stayed perfect, no rain gear needed.
We showed up the first night before the ride with time to unload the bikes and gear have a burger few beers and BS about the ride plans.

The next day we got up and went down the check list a few times and I remember Dr Dan could not find his Spot anywhere, so called his wife, she told him to look in his boot and bingo all was good.

Here are a few Pic from day 1

Some of the roads never seem to end.

We did end up running into more rocks this year.

Here we are taking a small break after the river crossing waitng for Wild Bill to empty the gal. water out of his boot.

Set up camp after a long day, foot is holding up well and can't wait to see what the next day will bring.
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Just to catch up a bit... here is my take on Day-1... I posted a few photos from Day 1 earlier in the thread but you can see them all @ http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/.

We started out fairly early on our first day of riding. We were all pretty excited to get going and after a few group photos we all jumped on our bikes and rode off in a big hurry... anxious to see what adventures lay ahead. The excitement lasted less than a minute as Mark coasted his dead Husky to the side of the highway. We were literally within sight of the motel, sitting on the side of the road trying to figure out why the 610 wouldn't run. It turned out to only be a blocked gas tank vent and soon enough we were back out on the road.

Once we got on our way, things went fairly smoothly. We rode up canyons, through sagebrush laden desert and and across some cool ridge lines that provided us with great views. We made it to McDermitt, NV around lunchtime and were able to fill up on fuel and food.

The rest of the 185 mile day was filled with a lot of rough terrain and a couple steep hill climbs. Our goal was to make it close to Owyhee, NV before setting up camp and ultimately that's what we did. It was getting dark as we set up camp and I was completely exhausted so as soon as my tent was up, I just went to sleep.

During the first long day of riding, I learned an important lesson... Don't overload your bike with tons of crap you don't need. I had never really ridden on a multi-day, unsupported ride before this so I didn't realize how much a small amount of weight makes a big difference. When I loaded up the saddlebags and tail bag, I just kept stuffing items in that I thought might come in handy until the bags were full. I had ended up carrying roughly 70 pounds of extra gear that was not entirely necessary. This overloading caused the little 250 to be quite unstable, especially in rough terrain. It was kind of like riding with the neighbor kid sitting behind me the whole time. It was enough of a hindrance that I started to get very frustrated with my lack of ability to ride like I was used to. I even suggested on the morning of our second day of riding that I might just take the highway back to Denio Junction to unload the extra weight and maybe try to re-connect with the group later during the week. The guys thankfully talked me out of this idea as over the next few days the ride took us to some fantastic places and I was able to relocate some of the heavier items to sit lower on the bike. The lower center of gravity helped keep the bike a bit more stable than before and that combined with me getting used to the extra weight allowed me to be able to make it through the next few days without any major issues.

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 12:34 PM Reason: added links
BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #41
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSdriver View Post
During the first long day of riding, I learned an important lesson... Don't overload your bike with tons of crap you don't need
The first time I rode my bike loaded down I was surprised how it changed the ride.

With that said, I'm extremely impressed by the teams that take on this stuff 2 Up and Loaded down
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #42
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
The first time I rode my bike loaded down I was surprised how it changed the ride.

With that said, I'm extremely impressed by the teams that take on this stuff 2 Up and Loaded down
I agree... I'm constantly impressed by guys like Wild Bill who can ride a heavy bike over terrain that I struggle with on my much smaller bike.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Than you for the postive comments! We really had a great time.

The report is just getting started. We are only on the 2nd day of 8. I hope you all enjoy the ride!

June 17, 2012

Day 2

Father’s Day!

The day's tracks.

In the morning, I plotted a course to get us to town for some fuel and breakfast. We made some wrong turns and the terrain was often more difficult than expected but I really had a good time getting down to Owyhee.

Eventually we made it down to the Duck Valley Gas Station. We all filled up on fuel and food. There were a ton of Harley riders down there who were out enjoying the beautiful day. I spent some time talking to one of them whose name I cannot remember. I do remember that he recognized my bike which does not often happen. We waited for a long long time for our food to get cooked up. Don’t bother with asking for English Muffins there as they had no idea what I was talking about. After the long long long wait, the food was good. It was Father’s Day so we all made quick calls to our dads while standing out in the parking lot in just the right spot to get reception. Finally we headed out of Owyhee to the south.

The route from Owyhee to Jarbidge was great. A lot of it was harder than I expected. It was fantastic!

Wild Bill

Great stuff!!!!

We crested a hill with huge grins on our faces and saw this!

More sweet roads and then I had to stop to fix my extra fuel bottles. I used 2 Gatorade bottles to haul fuel on my front fender for at least 1000 miles without any issues other than they were trying to shake themselves off of there. No leaks at all. I finally got wise and tied the loose strap to my handlebars here to keep the fender bag from falling off anymore.

More sweet roads as we headed down into some drier country.

Then, all my GoPro batteries were dead. We went down a sweet grade right into Jarbidge.

We fueled up in Jarbidge at the 24 hour card lock fuel pump. Then we went over to the Outdoor Inn for dinner. It was great. I think the Outdoor Inn had the best food of any restaurant we ate at on this trip. After dinner we headed south of town and camped out along the river. We all enjoyed a dip in the river, put our electronics on the charger, and crashed out.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #44
Beelzabob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Damn Mike! Sweet adventure for sure. You going agoing next year?

Hope all is well.
B/

"Most of the trip was like being thrown into a barrel of titties only to come out sucking your thumb!" - Oisin
Beelzabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #45
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

A quick Day 2 recap...

The morning of our second day we got up and headed into Owyhee, NV to get some fuel and a bite to eat. The store in Owyhee was well stocked and had almost anything you might need. The deli had decent food but it took forever to get the food you ordered.

We then made our way over to Jarbidge, NV and the scenery along the way was well worth the rough ride the day before. Jarbidge is a tiny mining town located on a dirt road in the hills and has fuel available 24 hours which is very cool. The local cafe was a nice little place with good food and nice people. Our campsite near Jarbidge was next to a small river and was a very nice spot to relax.

Mark took most of the pictures during the trip.

BUSdriver screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 12:31 PM Reason: added links