Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
New setup installed...

Thanks Woody's

yummm
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #227
VStrom650
n00b

Oddometer: 5
So Soft you can dent it!!!

I too have been a victim of the soft stock rims, 5 days old 2012 GS Trophy with less than 700km, riding along a forest road here in OZ. Put a nice 10mm flare in the front rim, granted hit some pot holes but tyres were at 2.4 bar. Very disappointing and as I rode the same tracks/roads with my 2002 F650GS Dakar with no probs, anyway got new rim SM Pro Platinum from John Titman Racing in Capalaba. Very impressed with service/communication and as others have recommended overseas wheel builders thought I would say if in OZ get in touch with John and the crew.
VStrom650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #228
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Very curious about this

I have a 2011 F800GS, I have stock rims (about the only thing left on the bike that is stock). I ride very aggressive off road and have not suffered any dents, I have done more damage changing my tires than any of my riding has. I have also ridden about 10miles on a flat rear and suffered no damage. Is this an issue with years, lots, or just user dependent? In terms of use I utilize my bike more like a much lighter weight MX machine and haven't had any issue? When will my reckoning occur? I am always worried about this because I am planning a long distance (Alaska ride) and cannot have something like this occur but given that I haven't had any issues yet should I fret it?

runnin4melife screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 05:14 PM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #229
VStrom650
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I Suspect

runnin4melife after my research, I suspect it might have more to do with the weight of the rider, I know in my case I'm not what you call small, 6'2 about 250+ pounds (converted!). Another thing I notice is that the F800GS is quick, the combination of quick response and height may or may not mean the rider see's the potholes or other hazard. of course could just be my crappy riding abilitybut then again ?

Just my thoughts 'cause I couldn't believe I'd damaged mine on what I travelled.

Cheers
VStrom650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #230
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStrom650 View Post
runnin4melife after my research, I suspect it might have more to do with the weight of the rider, I know in my case I'm not what you call small, 6'2 about 250+ pounds (converted!). Another thing I notice is that the F800GS is quick, the combination of quick response and height may or may not mean the rider see's the potholes or other hazard. of course could just be my crappy riding abilitybut then again ?

Just my thoughts 'cause I couldn't believe I'd damaged mine on what I travelled.

Cheers
I had considered that as well as tire inflation and types of tires. I am 185 w/general gear on and run TKC 80s (generally at why rated PSI) and have really crushed the front on some horrid rocks (stopped and immediately inspected because of this issue others have had) and suffered no damage. I have 6500 miles so I am in the low range but 80% of that has been off road.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #231
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I have a 2011 F800GS, I have stock rims (about the only thing left on the bike that is stock). I ride very aggressive off road and have not suffered any dents, I have done more damage changing my tires than any of my riding has. I have also ridden about 10miles on a flat rear and suffered no damage. Is this an issue with years, lots, or just user dependent? In terms of use I utilize my bike more like a much lighter weight MX machine and haven't had any issue? When will my reckoning occur? I am always worried about this because I am planning a long distance (Alaska ride) and cannot have something like this occur but given that I haven't had any issues yet should I fret it?

I too am in the same situation.... Woody seemed to think that they could have stiffened up the rims in later years. (several pages back) I have a 2010, and no bent rims... knock on wood...

Ryan
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #232
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
I too am in the same situation.... Woody seemed to think that they could have stiffened up the rims in later years. (several pages back) I have a 2010, and no bent rims... knock on wood...

Ryan
I do have a small bend in my 2010 rim...and I hope to not do any more! I think suspension changes and tire pressure (and tires) can have a lot to do with it. Sounds like runnin4melife has hot-rodded suspension of some sort.

Dave
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #233
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
I do have a small bend in my 2010 rim...and I hope to not do any more! I think suspension changes and tire pressure (and tires) can have a lot to do with it. Sounds like runnin4melife has hot-rodded suspension of some sort.

Dave
Nothing as crazy as a few people with an 800 on here but I have a full Ohlins setup, which by the way is worth it in my opinion, even if you ride mostly street it is a tremendous upgrade and I attribute it to keeping me upright after hitting a 16 penny nail and having an instant flat at 80 MPH.

I am just trying to determine what is the new investment I am going to be dropping money on seeing as I have to be sneaky about it already hahaha
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #234
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStrom650 View Post
I too have been a victim of the soft stock rims, 5 days old 2012 GS Trophy with less than 700km, riding along a forest road here in OZ. Put a nice 10mm flare in the front rim, granted hit some pot holes but tyres were at 2.4 bar. Very disappointing and as I rode the same tracks/roads with my 2002 F650GS Dakar with no probs, anyway got new rim SM Pro Platinum from John Titman Racing in Capalaba. Very impressed with service/communication and as others have recommended overseas wheel builders thought I would say if in OZ get in touch with John and the crew.
I tried. They heard F800GS and I got a lot of ums and errs, then I got a run around. Much the same as every wheel builder here that I've rung. If you aren't actually standing in the shop they just don't seem to want to know you. Not to mention the ones that take your credit card details, promise delivery, and you never hear from them again.

I'll keep spending my money overseas. Oz retailers don't seem to want it.

Try ordering Ohlins suspension in Oz. Pay double the US price and have some disinterested dumb prick spin you a line of shit.

Oz bike retailing is shit. Always was, and probably always will be.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #235
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Nothing as crazy as a few people with an 800 on here but I have a full Ohlins setup, which by the way is worth it in my opinion, even if you ride mostly street it is a tremendous upgrade and I attribute it to keeping me upright after hitting a 16 penny nail and having an instant flat at 80 MPH.

I am just trying to determine what is the new investment I am going to be dropping money on seeing as I have to be sneaky about it already hahaha
Wow! Front flat at 80 and staying up! Good on ya! I've had a front flat at 80(kph) on a different bike a few years ago & on a dirt road and I went straight into the ditch before I knew what was happening . I was fine and the bike was ok too except for a broken windscreen (and front flat).

I'm running Hyperpro springs up front which definitely made a big difference and it doesn't blow through it's travel anymore (now I can hit stuff harder ). The springs are taking some of the sting out of what the rims get I think. Ohlins sure would be nice though!

Dave
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #236
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow! Front flat at 80 and staying up! Good on ya! I've had a front flat at 80(kph) on a different bike a few years ago & on a dirt road and I went straight into the ditch before I knew what was happening . I was fine and the bike was ok too except for a broken windscreen (and front flat).

I'm running Hyperpro springs up front which definitely made a big difference and it doesn't blow through it's travel anymore (now I can hit stuff harder ). The springs are taking some of the sting out of what the rims get I think. Ohlins sure would be nice though!

Dave
Yeah I thought my front wheel was about to come apart, it was definitely a scare. I praised my suspension and then bought a set of spare tubes and a best rest air pump after that. Insult to injury, I got stuck in Virginia for quite a few hrs trying to figure out how to get back to Maryland. I have crashed on the track and the street before but this was prime time high speed traffic so I was extremely lucky to stay upright (75% luck 24.9% suspension 0.1% skill)
Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #237
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:

Dave
Save your money. Ohlins is way over rated.

Yes, I may be riding 2 up mostly, but the Ohlins provided only better basic response to trail chop and intermediate hits. Even solo it wasn't up to the task. Nicer to ride in general, but blows through the stroke because they have no anti bottom out valving. The further off road I took it, the more obvious it was.

It took a full revalve and several respring attempts to get it anywhere near where I expected it to be.

I tired a KTM 990 Adventure again today, and the standard out of the box suspension on it is far superior to my modified Ohlins. Even 2 up.

That's a waste of $2300 for me so far. Add that to the new price of the F800 and....yep...you've got a 990.

It's hard to smile after that.

At the end of the day, if you're chasing better suspension purely for off road work, then you bought the wrong bike. Yeah, you can keep spending money until the F800 goes almost as well as a 990. But it will always be almost. Plus it'll actually cost you more.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #238
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 303
Hmmm rims a problem yes or maybe No.....

I had to add our current trip experience with the rims so far. Truth is I was on the side of the argument that the rims are crap and even talked to Woody's about new sets for both my bike and the wife's for our journey.

Then we started the ride and we have ridden over 20k miles thus far in three months. Plenty of nasty stuff (Dempster, Gravelly range, Utah slick rock, etc) the rims have been tested for what they were meant to handle. Plus the bikes are loaded for bear and then some ( I'm 6.1, 230lbs and gear totals 140lbs.). The verdict is the rims have performed perfectly. Have we been lucky maybe and perhaps we don't ride the bikes as hard as we would close to home (we are heading around the world after all).

If you are a weekend warrior or prepared to beat on the machine new rims are a must and Woody's are clearly the way to go . If you are an over-lander and riding the country, continent or the globe then you are going to be a lot kinder to your machine and new rims may not be required.

In the end its a choice and a money thing. Be kinder to the machine and ride farther with the funds or go hardcore beat the machine and either have a fatter wallet or don't get to ride nearly as far.

Suspension on the other hand don't get me started........

BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #239
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
I had to add our current trip experience with the rims so far. Truth is I was on the side of the argument that the rims are crap and even talked to Woody's about new sets for both my bike and the wife's for our journey.

Then we started the ride and we have ridden over 20k miles thus far in three months. Plenty of nasty stuff (Dempster, Gravelly range, Utah slick rock, etc) the rims have been tested for what they were meant to handle. Plus the bikes are loaded for bear and then some ( I'm 6.1, 230lbs and gear totals 140lbs.). The verdict is the rims have performed perfectly. Have we been lucky maybe and perhaps we don't ride the bikes as hard as we would close to home (we are heading around the world after all).

If you are a weekend warrior or prepared to beat on the machine new rims are a must and Woody's are clearly the way to go . If you are an over-lander and riding the country, continent or the globe then you are going to be a lot kinder to your machine and new rims may not be required.

In the end its a choice and a money thing. Be kinder to the machine and ride farther with the funds or go hardcore beat the machine and either have a fatter wallet or don't get to ride nearly as far.

Suspension on the other hand don't get me started........

Going a bit off topic here: Are those the Touratech Foglights? How do you like them?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #240
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Save your money. Ohlins is way over rated.

Yes, I may be riding 2 up mostly, but the Ohlins provided only better basic response to trail chop and intermediate hits. Even solo it wasn't up to the task. Nicer to ride in general, but blows through the stroke because they have no anti bottom out valving. The further off road I took it, the more obvious it was.

It took a full revalve and several respring attempts to get it anywhere near where I expected it to be.

I tired a KTM 990 Adventure again today, and the standard out of the box suspension on it is far superior to my modified Ohlins. Even 2 up.

That's a waste of $2300 for me so far. Add that to the new price of the F800 and....yep...you've got a 990.

It's hard to smile after that.

At the end of the day, if you're chasing better suspension purely for off road work, then you bought the wrong bike. Yeah, you can keep spending money until the F800 goes almost as well as a 990. But it will always be almost. Plus it'll actually cost you more.
What Ohlins setup do you have and where did you get it at, plus what is your weight? I haven't had any problems with mine from Fastbikes (NIX kit) shy of a few adjustments and an oil adjustment. Of course if I get silly I can get it close to bottoming out but haven't yet and I have jumped some gnarly things. Your suspension sounds based on what you describe to be under sprung and poor valving.