Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #61
Alchemist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I have a 640A with a set of superrmoto wheels as well (17 inch f/r). Can you advise if its a straight swap to a 990R (potential purchase). I recognise your suggestion of 19inch front but wanted to know if the hubs etc(Talon) will fit. I'm pretty positive about the front since its the twin disk model which I understand is identical to 990 but not sure about the rear. Can I just run it backwards (ie dissk on other side) ? Too much trouble, do I just ditch them and start new, is weight difference a worry ? Any help greatly appreciated
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #62
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,324
640A to 990 R wheels!

The dual disc front hub will swap over, but the rear 640 hubs are too narrow and come with 20 mm bearing setup.

We would have parts to build a wheel for the rear 990.

The 950 and 990 hubs are the same, they used a wider disc side spacer on the 950 SE and all 990's.

thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
I have a 640A with a set of superrmoto wheels as well (17 inch f/r). Can you advise if its a straight swap to a 990R (potential purchase). I recognise your suggestion of 19inch front but wanted to know if the hubs etc(Talon) will fit. I'm pretty positive about the front since its the twin disk model which I understand is identical to 990 but not sure about the rear. Can I just run it backwards (ie dissk on other side) ? Too much trouble, do I just ditch them and start new, is weight difference a worry ? Any help greatly appreciated
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #63
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 807
Hi Woody,

i have a excel taksago 19x2.15 36 holes dimpeled from a rear of an exc350 which i am trying to lace for the front of my 950. i've got the spokes from Rad. is this rim compatible with the front hub of the 950 ?

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #64
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

exc 350 rear rim swapable with KTM 950 front hub??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
Hi Woody,

i have a excel taksago 19x2.15 36 holes dimpeled from a rear of an exc350 which i am trying to lace for the front of my 950. i've got the spokes from Rad. is this rim compatible with the front hub of the 950 ?
i don't think so,,they are indexed differently...

you can place the rear rim next to the front 950 wheel/rim and align the valve stem holes..the holes have to be pointed in the same direction..we know how to make the rim work,,

HOWEVER..you really want a 2.50x19 rim on the front of the 950 sporting a 110/90x19 tire..ie the standard rim /compatible tire size used by 90% of all big ADV bikes

woody
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #65
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 807
Thanks a lot, after i lacing it it seemed like some of the spokes are too long and some too short i guess its time to order a new rim.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #66
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

what to do next,,,when exc rear rim won't work on 950 front

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
Thanks a lot, after i lacing it it seemed like some of the spokes are too long and some too short i guess its time to order a new rim.
here's one Rx

send rim in to have hole re-angled and countersunk to accept a different lace pattern...= $30

you'll need i/2 of my superlace spoke set,,ss sbeefy spokes and ss nipples = $65
plus S&H return to you one day turn around

you currently are running the oem X2 lace pattern,,we change half the pattern to an extra X essentially 1/2 of a superlace

OR..you can buy the correctly sized and drilled rim ie 2.5xx19
or...
or,,
holler,,woody
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #67
JK001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
690 SMC to 690 Enduro?

Hi Woody,

Thank you sharing your vast knowledge and expertise!

Quick question: What is the best way to convert my 2008 690 SMC to an Enduro? I know there are clearance issues with the caliper. Aside from getting a complete Enduro set up, 21/19, discs, calipers, sprockets, what are my best options? I see lots of KTM factory wheels sets for sale from EXC models, will they be a direct fit? Thanks in advance, and I don't mean to if this question has been asked already...
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

KTM 690 SMC with 21/18'' wheels swap

The KTM 690 SMC front spacer's are different than the Enduro, but the hubs are the same specs. You have to use a x-laced rim to get the proper clearance for the caliper with the spokes, having it superlaced also gives a little more space for the caliper as well.

The rear you can just use a 690 Enduro wheel, the 640 and smaller C.C. hubs are 20 mm axle and are narrower than the 690 hubs which are 25 mm axle.

We have used hubs and a rear oem wheel if you are looking for extra parts for the dirt set.

Contact us at woodyswheelworks@gmail.com with any specific questions.

thanks zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
Hi Woody,

Thank you sharing your vast knowledge and expertise!

Quick question: What is the best way to convert my 2008 690 SMC to an Enduro? I know there are clearance issues with the caliper. Aside from getting a complete Enduro set up, 21/19, discs, calipers, sprockets, what are my best options? I see lots of KTM factory wheels sets for sale from EXC models, will they be a direct fit? Thanks in advance, and I don't mean to if this question has been asked already...
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #69
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Hi Woody

I have a 2001 KTM 640 LC4 supermoto (European model) and have been searching and searching trying to find out whether it is possible to buy or build an off-road set of wheels for this bike. Everyone seems to want to go to more street orientated wheels but there is little info about switching the other way.

Can you just build up some LC4 Adventure wheels, pop them on and off you go? Is it possible to have two sets of wheels that are interchangeable without needing to change brake callipers? I've read somewhere that the spokes hit the calliper... My mind has turned to mush from days spent on the net trying to find out some more info so I cant remember where I read that.

The reason I ask is a friend is planning a trip through Morocco in his Landie and I would love to tag along on my bike but the sm wheels would be a nightmare in the sand ...

Cheers
Trevor
Hi woody.
What was the answer to this? It never got posted...?
Thanks
Bob

Sent from my mobile.
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #70
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

2001 LC4 SM to enduro conversion....possible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBobber View Post
Hi woody.
Thanks
Bob

Sent from my mobile.
So sorry,,sometimes a post or two 'falls through the cracks',,,,

I believe we have done this before,,,I'll get Zach my right hand wheel wizard,,regarding the various swap-outs chime in on this...he's currently in California at the Rawhyde Adventure Rallye.,,,and I'f we haven't we'll figure how to

Woody
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #71
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
So sorry,,sometimes a post or two 'falls through the cracks',,,,

I believe we have done this before,,,I'll get Zach my right hand wheel wizard,,regarding the various swap-outs chime in on this...he's currently in California at the Rawhyde Adventure Rallye.,,,and I'f we haven't we'll figure how to

Woody
:

Sent from my mobile.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #72
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

640 Adv wheel to 640 SM and other similar attempts

Thanks for re-posting. We cannot say with complete certainty what all it would take to make the 640 ADV wheel fit on the SuMo front end as we have not done this exact conversion.

What's known(according to parts fiche) is that although the front bearings, seals, and hub are different the axle used is the same. So the front hub with the spacers should "fit" in the front end, but from there some food for thought.

The main reason that an Adv wheel will not just fit on to the SM is because The 17" SuMo wheel is built with a x-lace(meaning from the hub to the rim, the spokes cross over the centerline of the rim) to afford more space for the larger brake caliper.

The 21" ADV wheel does not have a x-lace so when used with the larger caliper, the spokes will hit the caliper. Sometimes you can just grind off some of the caliper for clearance, but believe you will need to x-lace this wheel to make it work. This would require a custom rim and custom spoke lengths to accomplish.

To consider: if you were to have a x-laced front 21" or 19" rim laced to hub and mounted the 320mm rotor(only way to do it without making mods to the caliper). It should spin freely, but you will have a 320mm rotor on a 21" or 19" front wheel, which is a whole lotta brake for going off-road.

The only way to go to a smaller front rotor would be to make mods to the forks/caliper mount, make your own conversion kit, or go with KTM 640 ADV front forks. There are many conversion kits to go to oversized rotors, but very few if any that go the other way around.

We know of a few people who have the 950SM who put 19" and/or 21" front wheel on the SM and even after the time to make it happen, they regretted it because did not perform well off-road, was too heavy in the front end, etc. And one person was so fed up, he sold the bike, bought an Adventure and got SuMo wheels for it. Then the problem was solved.

Now the 2001 640 SM is not as heavy up front as the 950SM, but similar concepts and likely you will find that it was not worth the trouble.

Hope the above provides some clarity, feel free to let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Hi woody.
Thanks
Bob

Sent from my mobile.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #73
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Thanks for re-posting. We cannot say with complete certainty what all it would take to make the 640 ADV wheel fit on the SuMo front end as we have not done this exact conversion.

What's known(according to parts fiche) is that although the front bearings, seals, and hub are different the axle used is the same. So the front hub with the spacers should "fit" in the front end, but from there some food for thought.

The main reason that an Adv wheel will not just fit on to the SM is because The 17" SuMo wheel is built with a x-lace(meaning from the hub to the rim, the spokes cross over the centerline of the rim) to afford more space for the larger brake caliper.

The 21" ADV wheel does not have a x-lace so when used with the larger caliper, the spokes will hit the caliper. Sometimes you can just grind off some of the caliper for clearance, but believe you will need to x-lace this wheel to make it work. This would require a custom rim and custom spoke lengths to accomplish.

To consider: if you were to have a x-laced front 21" or 19" rim laced to hub and mounted the 320mm rotor(only way to do it without making mods to the caliper). It should spin freely, but you will have a 320mm rotor on a 21" or 19" front wheel, which is a whole lotta brake for going off-road.

The only way to go to a smaller front rotor would be to make mods to the forks/caliper mount, make your own conversion kit, or go with KTM 640 ADV front forks. There are many conversion kits to go to oversized rotors, but very few if any that go the other way around.

We know of a few people who have the 950SM who put 19" and/or 21" front wheel on the SM and even after the time to make it happen, they regretted it because did not perform well off-road, was too heavy in the front end, etc. And one person was so fed up, he sold the bike, bought an Adventure and got SuMo wheels for it. Then the problem was solved.

Now the 2001 640 SM is not as heavy up front as the 950SM, but similar concepts and likely you will find that it was not worth the trouble.

Hope the above provides some clarity, feel free to let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Chris
Thank you Chris ( and Woody)!
You are a wealth of knowledge....shouda asked the question before I bought it...
Anyone want a lightly used SMC..?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #74
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

some more thoughts regarding the swap to enduro from SMC

Quote:
Thank you Chris ( and Woody)!
You are a wealth of knowledge....shouda asked the question before I bought it...
Anyone want a lightly used SMC..?
well ya got Chriss's version of what can be done,,,,Zach is in the middle of the rawhyde rallye and has a lot on his plate,,i'll see if he may have time to chime in now,,but for sure when he returns next week,,,in the mean time ,,
a few pics of your front end,,,

chris's concern about your 320 rotor,,i think that there are caliper brackets available that adapt your caliper to either 300mm or 320mm..,so a picture is worth a thousand words to me,,,you may check with Bike Bandit or Cycle Hut or one of the other KTM performance shops.

be patient,,,at least til i/we talk to Zach
woody
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #75
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Quote:
well ya got Chriss's version of what can be done,,,,Zach is in the middle of the rawhyde rallye and has a lot on his plate,,i'll see if he may have time to chime in now,,but for sure when he returns next week,,,in the mean time ,,
a few pics of your front end,,,

chris's concern about your 320 rotor,,i think that there are caliper brackets available that adapt your caliper to either 300mm or 320mm..,so a picture is worth a thousand words to me,,,you may check with Bike Bandit or Cycle Hut or one of the other KTM performance shops.

be patient,,,at least til i/we talk to Zach
woody
Shall do & thanks again!

Sent from my mobile.