Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #436
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,269
My take? I think they're playing games. Especially suspicious am I, since they've already cut you a check. Much as I am really loathe to suggest this, it may be time to check with a lawyer _with experience_ on this. A consult should cost nothing. And even if you do have to pony up and hire a mouthpiece, he'll make sure it's worth it.

My 2c, and check with your mentors...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #437
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
if your'e going to do one, you might as well do both
Yeah, i thought about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
give wheel works in garden grove a shout, they do good work, are an hour and a half closer to ya than buchannans, and can get all the same shit
Thanks for the tip! Their website is horrible - I'll try to give them a call for some numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My take? I think they're playing games. Especially suspicious am I, since they've already cut you a check. Much as I am really loathe to suggest this, it may be time to check with a lawyer _with experience_ on this. A consult should cost nothing. And even if you do have to pony up and hire a mouthpiece, he'll make sure it's worth it.
They didn't cut me a check yet, I was just told that they would. From what I understand after talking to my agent (who is also my cousin-in-law), all they want to do is compare the parts list from the shop to the bike and make sure it matches. While they may still try to screw me, i don't think it's happening yet;) I will remain vigilant!
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #438
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Ah, I see. This just maybe standard procedure to check that the right hand knows what the left is doing. Especially since it didn't raise a red flag with your agent-in-law.

Don't sweat but stay vigilant...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #439
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

update!

Got the check from the insurance company today! I'm very relieved to have that done, and no one tried to screw me.

I haven't gotten any work done on the bike, but i got some parts yesterday

new Acewell speedo, some interesting bar-end turnsignals I want to try, and a fork oil tool. I've got some stainless steel spokes and a used rim coming from Boxer Metal, and some EPCO mufflers coming from wirewrkr:)

I'll get some actual work done soon:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #440
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Good deal. The insurance thing was probably one of their standard checks-and-balances verifications.

You'll be on the road ina short while (=eventually). How are your aches, pains and dermabrasion coming along?

And I see you have an Airmail, too. Well done.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #441
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Hah. I have those same bar ends and speedo in my wishlist. Let us know how they work out. I was wondering if you could fit a bar end mirror on these too. Something like this.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #442
Player B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
I haven't gotten any work done on the bike, but i got some parts yesterday

new Acewell speedo, some interesting bar-end turnsignals I want to try, and a fork oil tool. I've got some stainless steel spokes and a used rim coming from Boxer Metal, and some EPCO mufflers coming from wirewrkr:)

I'll get some actual work done soon:)
Very interested in how bright you get those bar end signals to be. I have them on my bike and they're barely noticeable from a cars perspective unless its dark out. (but they do look super slick)

My rear turnsignals which are also LEDs are very bright though. I did install resistors in the back to get the relay to function properly, I wonder if I need them up front too?
Player B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #443
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
How are your aches, pains and dermabrasion coming along? And I see you have an Airmail, too. Well done.
Proud member #13044:) I am mostly healed. I have some shiny new pink skin on my arm and leg that is still tender, but the scabs are all gone:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
I was wondering if you could fit a bar end mirror on these too. Something like this.
I know the bar end signals will work with the bar end mirrors - I have bar end mirrors on the bike right now and the holes in the end of the bars are unencumbered:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player B View Post
Very interested in how bright you get those bar end signals to be. I have them on my bike and they're barely noticeable from a cars perspective unless its dark out. (but they do look super slick)

My rear turnsignals which are also LEDs are very bright though. I did install resistors in the back to get the relay to function properly, I wonder if I need them up front too?
Yeah, those bar end signals are advertised as "markers" or some such, not actual turn signals so I don't expect mine will be any brighter than what you describe but I wanted to try them;) I just determined that not a single bulb broke in any of my lights so I should just have to do a little bending to get my signals back to normal. I had thought I would switch to LED if they were busted.

I was finally in the garage last night! I got Chuck's center stand on and the front brakes working. I started fixing the valve cover mounting hole - waiting for jb weld to set. There is still some weirdness with the brake mc, but at least the front brakes engage now.

Lights! So it seems like the busted euro light switch - the switch that lets me turn the headlight OFF - is what is preventing the brake and headlight from working. I couldn't figure out how to remove the switch guts from the housing, but I'd like to see if I can wire up/graft on a replacement switch... but aside from that, none of the light bulbs broke, and I can get them all to turn on - how crazy is that!?

foot pegs! So I THINK my muffler mounts are straight - looks like the muffler mounting bolts sheared right off and saved the mount. I think. However, the rear set on the right side did kind of dimpled the mounting hole. But i think i can get it working with some washers or something to "bridge" the "dimple".

My biggest concern at the moment, is the subframe. I think I'm going to put Aric's subframe on my bike this weekend to verify that mine is bent. The Acewell speedo also gives me pause because I've read that installation can go smoothly, or roughly. AND I have to wire up the GEN light somehow. not my forte. good times.

Oh! And the new EPCO peashooter mufflers might be here by Saturday! and my new jacket should get here today :)

I think that is it for now!
Happy Friday!

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #444
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Ah Spencer.....

...all good news!!!! Glad you're healing well and the bike is going to be repaired!!!! Looking forward to updates!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #445
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Dermal regeneration taking place, new parts arriving daily and like I told you these old bikes are like tractors.

And here on the South Coast, got the Hannigan fairing put on, the S-bars installed and I'll be obsessing over last-minute details this (rainy) weekend. And I'm going for a ride today before the rain closes in.

Let me tellya, life can't get much better, can it?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #446
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

progress and a tire AUTOpsy.

My new jacket from Roland Sands showed up on friday and fits great:) It has armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. I also got knee armor for wearing under my pants.

The bike is back on the lift!

I filled the fissures with JB weld and made sure the sealing surfaces were flat and clean. Made sure there was no debris on the valves and put the "new" valve cover on.

I took the rear wheel off for convenience since I was messing around with the subframe and shocks and stuff. the axle didn't come out real easy and actually the tophat was stuck on it and pulled the hub seal out so i'm going to check the axle for straightness.

lots of dirt on the inside of the hub, probably from flipping around on the road.

the sheared off muffler mount bolts! crazy! they didn't want to come out, but I am persistant;)

I put some used headers on and took the bent subframe off.

the headers didn't fit great. either the side stand is bent or these headers are a little more beat up than they looked. I think i'm just going to buy new headers...

The is the problem busted up switch.

I can't figure out how to get the wiring doohicky out. but when I DO, i'm going to try to wire in a replacement...

I got the EPCO Peashooters from wirewrkr yesterday:) They look pretty sweet! also put the donor subframe on. it is about 2" shorter than my stock frame, and my shocks don't fit perfect. with the frame securely attached and one shock bolted on the other shock is this far out of alignment. I think i'm going to hammer on the subframe a bit...

I took some videos of the exhaust - Peashooters and NO mufflers. the no mufflers sounded pretty sick;) niether video really does the sound justice.

I took apart the infamous failed tire this afternoon.

This is my tire, a Dunlop K70, 3.25-19.

This is the tube the shop put in: a 2.75/3.00-21

you can see the difference in sizes below with the shop installed tube and a tube that I had pinched in my initial attempts, but that was the correct size.

found the hole in the tube as well. It is on the INside (spoke side) of the tube - see that little black circle on the tube? I circled the hole in black sharpie.

close-up of the hole.

this is the corresponding rim area.

I did not tear the rim tape or put the tool marks in the aluminum rim today, and it is unlikely the damage to the INside of rim happened during or after the accident. This is the ONLY area where the rim tape is damaged like this, or where any gouges that look like this are.

What i think happened is the shop used a screw driver or something to remove the old tube gouging the rim, they then used the wrong size tube which sat wrongly inside the tire and rubbed on those scratches until the tube was compromised. Since I had checked the tire pressure the night before, I imagine that the hole in the tube happened sometime the day of my crash, but pressure didn't get low enough until my final ride that day, and didn't give me a problem riding in a straight line on the freeway until i started changing lanes to get to my off ramp where the turning/veering broke the bead or something and i had a total failure.

With this information, I'm going into the shop on Tuesday when they are open again, and I'm going to make sure they know what happened and that i could have been killed. and I've told my insurance co what I found. Be careful out there everyone and double check the work you're paying an expert for when you can.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #447
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
wow.

the wrong size tube in the tire, hopefully you get somewhere with that

as for the axle being hard to come out and the shocks not lining up correctly, check your swing arm.

hope you get back on the road soon.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #448
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

A 3.00-21 tube when a 3.25-19 is specified? Unbelievable.

Yeah, what VI said. See how the axle slips into hte swingarm/final drive with no tire-- it should slip in easily. If not, the swingram is tweaked.

Dang. I'm incensed 'bout the tire.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #449
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Wow! Holy shit!!! All the more reason to change your own tires/tubes!!!! And maybe look into using Heavy duty tubes in the future, they're much harder to pinch or rub a hole through, and it feels like they don't release the air as quickly. Hope it shakes out in your favor, the evidence certainly points that way.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #450
senatorperkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
man, just read through this. incredible thread.

sounds like the shop really needs to hear about this now - it would be awful if it happened to someone else because of the same careless tire installer.
senatorperkins is offline   Reply With Quote