User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #46
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Maine

The day after Pete and I took a quick daytrip to Luninberg, the weathergod was tellin me to run for it so I took a chance.
Luninberg was a busy little town because the relaunch of the Bluenose 2 was approaching the next weekend.

Apparently she's almost a new boat as the rebuild was more than extensive.
We got a pick by one of the most famous pirate boats still afloat (barely).

My departure had me coming by the town again so I snapped some of the architecture and a few more boats.

And the memorial to all those souls lost at sea.

Then blue skies brought me to Digby to catch the morning ferry across Fundy.

Now here's where the small world thang comes into play. Big Girl was lookin kinda grungy and, spotting what I thought was a bit of seepage from the CARC I wanted to clean her off. Looks like it may have just been a little buildup from the vent so no worries. Anyhoo, I trapse off to the local car wash and, when I pull into the bay, a mountie pulls right up to the bay with his lights on and, with the loudspeaker says 'Step away from the bike!' I'm, like, 'Say what?' and he gets out of the car and damned if it isn't Andrew who I camped with in PEI.

I had forgotten he told me he was a cop in Digby and, well, we were bound to run into each other, right?
Small world.
Next morn it was a beautiful sailing on calm waters and goodby to NS.

You follow the coastal roads and that is one big province.
St. John was harboring this great new lady.

So much more elegant that all those fancy cruise boats, I think.
After a bit of a resupply at Walmart. ( I am a cheap bastard.) it was on to the border. And who says border guards are nasty. I have had nothing but good guys to chat with. Maybe it's my winning smile?
Into Maine and a good low tide.

And great scenery.

And the new with the old.

Rode all day with the full raingear on but seemed to avoid everything but a few showers.
Don't know if it was an event or what but the real tourist towns like Camden and Rockport were stuffed with tourists. You would think the end of September and midweek would have it letting up a bit but I guess not. Stopping with my sweaty raingear and dealing with the crouds didn't really appeal to me so I carried on. I
I did find a destination however. Googling Guzzi dealers Maine put one right on my route so, close enough to service time, I decided to check it out. Tri-Sports. They did have the parts and a fully qualified service tech but still had not had a '12 Stelvio in the showroom. Anyways, that is where I am now, picking up Big Girl with a new spring in her step by noon.
A local rag shows a B17 , a Liberator and a Mustang coming to the local AF base Friday and I am torn between staying or carrying on. I LOVE planes! But I really have to err on the side of caution because if it's rain they won't be doing it. Onward then. East coast weather is showing a bunch of rain but who ya gonna believe. It's all clear skies right now.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #47
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I hope I didn't scare you too badly,but the look on your face was worth it. Looks like everything is going well. Nice pictures. Glad you got to see a little of Digby. Take care.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #48
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 511
Hey Toad, thanks for the report, this was a top notch one for sure. Sorry to hear about the Big "D" but it happens. Looks like you really needed a ride like this. Take care buddy. :)

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #49
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej View Post
Hey Toad, thanks for the report, this was a top notch one for sure. Sorry to hear about the Big "D" but it happens. Looks like you really needed a ride like this. Take care buddy. :)
Thx Deej. All that crap is gone and almost forgotten. But the ride and my life have a long way to go.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #50
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Sorry about your divorce but twelve months riding around North America on a Guzzi Stelvio? I can almost feel the freedom.

Good times loom.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #51
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandMonkey View Post
Sorry about your divorce but twelve months riding around North America on a Guzzi Stelvio? I can almost feel the freedom.

Good times loom.
Yaaa......welllll........I'm not.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #52
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Aaaugggghh!!

We are not happy!

No, really. It OK. It’s just miserable out there. Holed up in Rockland after a nasty trip thru Boston. But, let’s go back a couple of days.
This was the ride back then. Fall colors just starting. Cool but nice.

The Brunswick area led me to a Guzzi dealer and after a chat with their Mechanic, Steve, I thought with the mileage close enough to the service mark I would let Steve tackle it. Plus…surprise, surprise. They had everything in stock. Steve had never even seen a 2012 NTX but had had time on Stelvios. He took the bike overnight and called me midmorning saying he would be done within the hour.
Showing up I was greeted with “Don’t know if you’re gonna be happy with this.” Turns out he turned the key and got nothing. Nada. Completely dead bike. Now, being on a long trip on a bike a dude needs all the good Karma he can acquire so I was not about to get all heated up over this. The shop was laid back and he didn’t mind me hanging around offering any input I might have. Steve proceeded to go into full blown diagnostic mode, removing covers, gauge set and tank and checking wires fuses and the like.
Long story short, standing there with him about an hour later he looks across at me and says “Think I may have found the problem.” For some reason he had removed the starter cover and failed to notice the main
ground from the battery was behind the bolt. Touching the wire gave a spark. And, problem solved. I also asked him to look at the front wheel which has had a small low speed wobble almost since day one. Steve found only a small bit of out of balance and we both agreed that it is probably the tire. New tires and rim check is prolly 1000 miles away.

So I was on my way with BG feeling real good. The bill was a very reasonable $200 + a few bucks. Plus when Steve did the sync he found that the idle part of it was way out. His feeling is that the previous guy did not do the two part sync which is synced at idle and at 4000 rpm. It made all the difference.

The sky was growing nasty and a tour towards Gloucester turned into two disagreeable ingredients creating havoc. Tourists (it’s the end of September, Dammit! Go home!) and road work. The whole mess was giving me a headache and I grabbed a good enough room ($45) for the night. Only problem was it was prolly where half the road crew was staying and the picnic table party went on into the night. Being a rider I do have the advantage of earplugs and I shut them out.
Next day the rain came and progressively grew worse.

With Boston approaching I decided to hit the interstate to shoot thru it before rush hour. And it got hairy! Big Girl was protesting a bit as we were in real nasty stuff with all kinds of traffic but she was solid. At times I could barely see but finally rode 93 thru town to catch 3A south of town. The Oly gear I was wearing held up quite well with the exception of a little dampness getting past at the short jacket waist line. My gloves were well soaked thru but the heated grips were keeping me warm. The worst part of the whole thing was the medical travel insurance I had bought doesn’t kick in till the first of October.
By mid afternoon I had had enough and consulted Garmin for accommodation only to be led on a wild goose chase thru the ritzy back roads of Nantasket. I did, however, find Hogwarts.

Fortunately, I was saved by a friendly (and damn good lookin) cop who directed me towards Rockland. A comfortable Best Western had a surprisingly reasonable ($106) rate and here I am holed up watching the weather channel. Tomorrow it’s on to Cape Cod and prolly more of the same.
As I am now in the good ol US of A for a good six months now I have switched Garmin and Guzzi readouts to miles and inches and that shit and will refer to everything in those terms from now on. Hopin 17 degrees as 56 would feel warmer but it don’t.
And lastly Big Girl is maturing. She will now be referred to with the grown up term of Big Gal. Or BG for short.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #53
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
I've been following your report from the beginning. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences. I'm actually northbound now caging it with my wife. We crossed paths within the last few days, I'm watching the rain in Maine, near Bar Harbor. I'm particularly interested in your opinions on the performance of BG. There doesn't seem to be much real world info out there on this machine. the price and styling are very tempting.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #54
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Guzzi Tech is where us whining gearheads reside.
http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190.html
It's a 90% love 10% hate relationship. The ten % is probably not even that. She came with a few correctable flaws but maybe at that price it would be expected. But mainly the big whine is customer care and service. Customer care seems to be non existent. And service in Canada is also almost not there. Hopin it's better in the US. Steve at Tri-Sports is great. And now that he's got a 2012 NTX under his belt he's even better. He remarked on the improvements in ease of service over previous years bikes. And the thing I like is I can do it myself. Investing in available analyser and syncing gizmo would allow me to do it all.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #55
oxman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hey Toad....i just found your thread on your trip this morn ....I look forward to following your journey and your ntx updates :)
oxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #56
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Guzzi Tech is where us whining gearheads reside.
http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190.html
It's a 90% love 10% hate relationship. The ten % is probably not even that. She came with a few correctable flaws but maybe at that price it would be expected. But mainly the big whine is customer care and service. Customer care seems to be non existent. And service in Canada is also almost not there. Hopin it's better in the US. Steve at Tri-Sports is great. And now that he's got a 2012 NTX under his belt he's even better. He remarked on the improvements in ease of service over previous years bikes. And the thing I like is I can do it myself. Investing in available analyser and syncing gizmo would allow me to do it all.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #57
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Well, I am all caught up now :)

great read. Thanks for sharing.

I am only a week or so away from home and getting back to reality. *sigh*

I am subscribed and will live through your adventures during the cold northern winter.

Ride on and ride safe

Brian
BC Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #58
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

The Cape

Thankyou Bri. I'll be keeping an eye on your report too.
And, The Cape. Finally saw my "window" and prepared for a good ride. As I was in Rockland saw the flic Rock of Ages last night.

Haven't been a fan of rock musicals since, say, Rocky Horror (yes, I'm that old) but I gotta say, because of a good reproduction of the tunes, I liked it. Matter of fact I have a lot of the same on my Iphone. So it inspired me to leave plugged in and singing all the way up and down the Cape.
All out rides should be this picture perfect.

Had lunch close to this big thang.

I was tempted to hang around and see if I could get a pic from the top but well, the "window" was calling.
The sideroads in and around the Cape are a fantastic ride but a lot of corners have nice little sandtraps so caution was the order of the day,

And the beaches. What can I say?

The Atlantic side just showed more and more of how Mitts buddies live.

With BG wanting me to buy her one of these.

Luckily, I convinced her it wasn't big enough.
My old friends the clouds started showing up around Rhode Is.

And then, the bridge.

It's become really apparent that following Garmin routes can lead you into the damnest situations. I paid my toll and went over the bridge keeping my eye on the map (instead of the roadsigns) to show me the route. Those traffic circles are usually where I get into trouble but this bridge turned out to be the cream. Following Mr. Garmin led me right round, headed back over the bridge. As it's all one way it looked like I was trapped to go back over. Pulled over and walked over to the toll booth guy to explain my delimma. I think he had seen it more than once as he did his best Sgt. Shultz impersonation and told me how to hop the curb and go down the embankment to the road below. And, this is where I am so glad I stuck with the dual-sport. The curb was a bit largeer than usual. Prolly a full 8" but BG easily mounted it. (Figuratively speaking) Thank the Gods that the slope and wallow had a good day to dry out as my Girl easily handled it to the road. I say agaain that I am sure her big weight adds, not subtracts, to her stablenesss. I might have been down on my ass on my old f800GS. A quick jaunt to the turnaround had me going the right way again.
The clouds gradually increased and just getting into New London where I was going to catch the ferry to long Island, the crap started again. Grabbed a room and watched it come down. Today is the ferry across, less rain (I hope) and my plan to get past NY around midday across the easternmost bridge. I still got it mapped to follow the coast but if it looks like I am getting jammed up I may go for the interstate. As I am a fan of Boardwalk Empire I may go for one of those super cheap three day packages. We will see.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #59
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 82
Hey Toad
If you get fed up with the rain, you could boot it down here for some Mexican Sun. Just climbed Teotihucan today. I hear what you are saying re Mr. Garmin: navigation is an adventure either side of the border. Blondie is running fine, I am having a blast. Vaya con Dios mi Amigo...
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #60
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow Red. You know Spanish now?
Excellent. Saw your blog with u climbin that honkin pyramid. Awesome.