User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
I have a question that maybe is going to get me in a lot of Trouble, But I need to ask it anyway, well is mire a "suggest/Question".

How come we have this amazing source of information (on this very posting) but people keep asking the very same questions day in and day out about Tires, oils, gasoline, pipes, light bulbs, etc, Can we just make "Monthly Buckets" or something like it and just toss all the related questions & answers into this "Hubs" in hopes to keep the forum more organize and also keeping more relevant, innovative and interesting posting on the top for longer.

Again just a idea, But man if you have being a member for ten years like me, you have to agree is getting kind of old to read the same thing again and again and AGAIN SOME More.

Ps: Yes I do know the "Search" function is totally dysfunctional and it SucksGoatsAss
Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #32
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,713
It is the way of things on these sites. Many don't know where to look and because it's easier to just ask, as in start another thread, that’s what happens.

And for those who are new to the site it helps them 'get involved' by answering and asking questions. And so the cycle repeats. And along the way new stuff gets added and old stuff gets brought back up and the cycle repeats.

Such is the way of popular web sites.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #33
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

I tried to watch out for the obvious ones (What oil to use?) and jump in with a "Check out the GSpot FAQ".

But it is an uphill battle, I am sorry to report. Lately I have come to the conclusion that is less less of a burden
on ADVrider.com to digest (yet) another thread then for me to try to catch them early.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #34
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
It is the way of things on these sites. Many don't know where to look and because it's easier to just ask, as in start another thread, that’s what happens.

And for those who are new to the site it helps them 'get involved' by answering and asking questions. And so the cycle repeats. And along the way new stuff gets added and old stuff gets brought back up and the cycle repeats.

Such is the way of popular web sites.

JJ
Come On John that is kind of a big excuse more than anything else, Just look at the Thumper Forum for example, Hell I feel Scare shitless to ask a question there about my 640ADV since everything is really well organize and most of the time you can find all your answers with just a little reading.

I don't know I still think the "MegaThreadfest" concept makes sense to organize the crap a little more..

Then again I will Hate you have your Job, Man I will Nuke half the postings that is for sure.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #35
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Come On John that is kind of a big excuse more than anything else, Just look at the Thumper Forum for example, Hell I feel Scare shitless to ask a question there about my 640ADV since everything is really well organize and most of the time you can find all your answers with just a little reading.

I don't know I still think the "MegaThreadfest" concept makes sense to organize the crap a little more..

Then again I will Hate you have your Job, Man I will Nuke half the postings that is for sure.
Ricky, it's been this way since the beginning. We don't nuke posts, never had. Yeah we move them when needed and in some forums they might get merged, but he-doggies that is a TON of work and usually raises a shit storm to boot.

If some one or a group wants to stay on top of GSpot-Oilheads in real time with it's nearly 2 pages of thread changes/additions PER DAY. I guarantee ya they won't last a month before burn out kicks in. And that is just 1/2 of GSpot, let alone the rest of the site.

The phrase herding cats is an apt analogy for a reason. There are 3-4,000 active participants during the majority of the day and it falls off to around 1,000 late at night. Now if you or anyone else wants to volunteer to create a master index of all the topics in GSpot I'll gladly lend them a hand. In fact Tagesk's FAQ thread is a wonderful resource but most n00bs don't seem to know about it, let alone use it.

That is both the magic and the complexity of ADV rider. Which is why it takes n00bs a while to figure out what is where and who is who. We done growed up big time. And with that growth comes complexity and shear numbers, of everything.

My advice is to use google search to find the info you want. For instance when I used google to search for the Bosch FR7LD+ spark plugs, ADV came up as the 1st hit, and my post that mentioned them in particular.

There is a way to find what you are looking for you just need to know how.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
Effigy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Damaged right cylinder, how to change it?

Hi guys :)

One question: I let my bike hit the ground while taking it a little off-road and I damaged the right cylinder (only cosmetics...) but its a shame to see it like that and I bought one on ebay and I'm waiting for it. So what I'm questioning is that anyone knows where to find a guide to change it myself or is it too complicated?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #37
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 616
yes, i have used this site x 3 years and just noticed this thread (granted I'm mainly in "beast".
Just wanted to sincerely thank Tagesk, Johnjen and every one for their fantastic work and dedication. The resources are phenominal and i learn a ton every day (or so).

My hat to you guys
Old 11-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #38
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
Just stumbled across this GSpot FAQ thread and bookmarked to my favorites bar. Being a new (to me) 1150GS owner I will access this page before asking or starting a new thread with redundant questions. Thanks for the effort put in to this valuable thread.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #39
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,695
Just noticed this. Well done and compiled. Tremendous effort! 2 thumbs up!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #40
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,553
May I suggest you add the thread that shares that the fuse box can be removed from the top - this is a huge time saver when trouble shooting electrical problems and not many people are aware of this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post18618258
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 392
Awesome resource - thanks.
One question for the experts. I am looking for torque values - specifically the handlebar hardware so I can adjust the handlebar.

I worked my way to R1200gs.info and found values there. The blurb states it is based on a 2005 GS. Have there been any changes I should be aware of to torque values for a 2009?

URL to torque values page.

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.html

thanks

Lee
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #42
roadrules
n00b

Oddometer: 1
FAQ's

New to the site... Thanks for the FAQ's fantastic reading. Really appreciate the time and effort that goes into this site...
Thank You
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
.....see it is detailed but dated 2008.
I don't know anything about spark plugs on the continent where you live, but I can tell you that the GSpot FAQ was started in 2008. It is continuously updated.
Questions about issues not related to the GSpot FAQ Per Se should be asked in a new thread. Not in this one.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #44
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 404
Tagesk

Great job and thank you for the considerable effort in doing this..great info.

I am new to the BMW scene and this post was just the good reading I needed.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
miro9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Talking Did I miss an "Electrical" section?

This is a great resourse, thank you for doing it. I think it's just missing an electrical info (CANBUS, bulbs to use, connecting additional accessories such as heated gear, etc).

In any case, thank you.
Closed Thread