Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #211
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Here's a little video clip I took at one of the Enduro tests today. This gives you an idea of what Josh and all the U.S. riders were dealing with today (and they get to do it twice again tomorrow).
http://youtu.be/D7-ZgtMpi20

Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #212
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
carnage

Here

wet logs, roots or even branches SUCK !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #213
Holeshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Good Job Josh!

Great day today Josh! That hill with riders all over the place looked like hell... Josh's times have been really consistent indicating how steady this young man is riding; very impressive.

I've been checking the FIM test results (at work) during the day and I start to get freaked out if I don't see Josh come in when I'm expecting to see him. I'm getting a little taste of the nerves you must be feeling at times, but also the sense of elation watching (online) him ride in to complete each test.

Hurrah for this young rider and hurrah Team USA!
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #214
racerxx276
n00b

Oddometer: 2
ISde 12

Hi Mike,

Boy your doing a better job or reporting than all the other "news" sites!

Looks like Josh is adapting well, those root hills look nasty.. especially with the euro tires, which don't work at all !

As a side note, 5 other trophy women houred out today, Rachel should be proud to make it this far... what a great experience to have at such a young age!

Keep it upright!

Don
racerxx276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #215
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Mike,

You are racer, coach, dad and doing an awesome job at all of it considering how level headed Josh is riding and making decisions. The whole fam (heck all of Utah) should be proud and Josh should be stoked with himself. Thanks for taking the time for the report. We all know how long race days become, and having the daily update is superb. Thanks....

Now pat that kid on the back and remind him how many peps around the US are cheering him on...
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #216
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 701
Go Josh! And thanks for the great updates and pics!
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #217
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post

Now pat that kid on the back and remind him how many peps around the US are cheering him on...
Well...this sums up how I feel!!!!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #218
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Bandwidth is horrible tonight. I can't get any pictures uploaded, but I've got a ton of great ones.

Here's a recap of my observations from today, but I can't post any pictures at this time, and I admit I'm exhausted

September 27, 2012

I commented yesterday that it was becoming more apparent how much of a challenge it is to just finish the Six Days. Today reinforced that principle even more. Unfortunately there was some more attrition among the team as bikes and bodies wore down. We woke to rain this morning and I wasn’t sure anyone wanted to get out of bed, but it turned out to be a beautiful day.

Charlie Mullins ended the day with an injured shoulder and down about 42 minutes. Kurt Caselli high-sided in a test right in front of me (as I was taking pictures) and I was convinced he had broken his hand or wrist or something by the way he was favoring his right arm, but apparently he finished the day just fine.

The women had some tough luck due to the super gnarly conditions. Rachel Gutish hour’d out again today, but I have to hand it to her, she is one tough cookie and an incredible rider. Mandi Mastin toughed through the day and was close to hour’ing out, but I think she made it. I don’t know where Sarah Whitmore finished.

The Junior Trophy Team is doing awesome and currently in third. Thad Duvall is turning a lot of heads and despite being on the Junior Trophy team, is beating most of the Trophy team and dabbling in the top ten on some tests. Jesse Groemm has proven to be a very capable replacement for Stew Baylor's spot.

Among the Club riders, Nick Hamill had trouble with his Husky 250F at the end of yesterday. This morning during the work period, they swapped all fuel components (pump, sensor, etc.), but it did not start and run properly after the 15 minutes. His bike is parked and his Six Days is over. I feel horrible for him but he was upbeat tonight when talking to him and grateful for the experience.

Scott Bright from Colorado crashed somewhere in a transfer section and broke ribs, collapsed lung, and I think some vertebrae. He’s in the hospital overnight, but should be OK.

Ron Schmelzle was DNF’d at the end of day yesterday after being directed down the paddock wrong and riding backwards. With the assistance from Gunny, they were able to get him riding again and he rode like a man possessed today putting down some great test scores among the club riders.

All the riders were absolutely spent after today. Talking to Billy Burns tonight at the riders meeting, he said the past two days were the toughest two days he’s ever ridden in the 4 ISDE’s he has ridden. Destry Abbott made similar comments about how you know it’s tough when the east coast GNCC riders like Charlie Mullins talk about how tough it was. Josh said it was just insane uphills and downhills that went on forever. He said they were way tougher than anything he has ever ridden at home.

Ironically, Josh had his best two days when they were the gnarliest. He had a couple of decent test scores today and is remaining consistent, moving up to 39th C1 rider. He was totally exhausted at the end of the day, but had another huge smile on his face. I’ve tried to encourage him to take in the moment. Never again, will he be 17 years old, racing his dirt-bike across the countryside of Eastern Germany in amazing conditions, and among some of the toughest riding anywhere in the world.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #219
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Oh this is the report I was waiting for!

We are all so thankfull that it's going so well, and I don't know how you can find the precious time to keep us up to date Mike.

Yes, it's good when the Thursday is over and Josh is in such good shape. Good luck tomorrow, and yes, Josh and you all are not only doing well in the 2012 ISDE but in Life's Big Picture.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #220
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 103
ISDE Day 4

Thanks Mike for all the great pictures & reports on Josh & all the US riders.

S/ Taylor's Grandfather in Arizona
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #221
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 103
Day 4 overview

A good article here:
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2012-isde-day-four/
AZ Air Hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #222
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Ironically, Josh had his best two days when they were the gnarliest. He had a couple of decent test scores today and is remaining consistent, moving up to 39th C1 rider.
Bad conditions are what separate the men from the boys. Josh is proving he's a man. Awesome stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I’ve tried to encourage him to take in the moment. Never again, will he be 17 years old, racing his dirt-bike across the countryside of Eastern Germany in amazing conditions, and among some of the toughest riding anywhere in the world.
That is the truest thing you can say. He's going to get home and be pretty depressed, not having that big challenge in front of him, and he'll want to look back and know he grabbed the moment and enjoyed it, because they don't come around real often!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #223
racerxx276
n00b

Oddometer: 2
day 4

I have heard that Sarah Whitmore retired after test 2 due to her hand injury on day one and mandi houred out also according to the day 4 results...

I'll bet that Jeff Ferdette will say its a hard ISDE also.. he would know!

New course tomorrow and then just the short ride to the MX track and Josh will be done!
racerxx276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #224
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

That is the truest thing you can say. He's going to get home and be pretty depressed, not having that big challenge in front of him, and he'll want to look back and know he grabbed the moment and enjoyed it, because they don't come around real often!
Future Junior then Trophy team rider here.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #225
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Josh youre doing good and making us all very proud. Mike thanks for all the great reporting and pics.
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote