n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Great read and pics! Thanks!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Hey Brian, I hope you've got warm clothing for the ride home.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #64
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB's Better 1/2 View Post
Hi Honey,

Hi Babe.
Nice to see you posting on here.
Quote:
Henry seems like a pretty nice fellow.

Henry was great. I hope he does stop in at our place for a bit on his way to Alaska.
Quote:
. Reminds me of you, and our many stops to help stranded motorists.

You know me, any captive audience to listen to my stories LOL
Quote:
I am so glad you are meeting people like him on your trip.

I have had a great couple days with some great people. I am really enjoying being down this way again :)
BC Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Hi Brian;

Great RR and pics. I am riding along with you in spirit. I am really enjoying your ride on an elderly shovel. I ride one of the new-fangled Road Kings, so it's nothing like your experience. It is so cool that you are meeting helpful people like Henry along the way. Enjoy your trip and keep it coming. Thanks!

Dave
Hi Dave

Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying my ride on my geriatric shovel

I rode a new fangle road glide all over hells half acre and put lots of interesting miles on my Buell without breaking them and still had great experiences.

But, break downs on old bikes do make for better reading .....LOL
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #66
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Hey Brian!

As always, a great RR and pictures!

Sorry I'm late to the party - looks like you're having an interesting trip so far and meeting some good people!

Glad to hear you've been able to work out the kinks in the bike. I guess that's all part of the fun, eh?

Ride safe and enjoy your adventure - keep those stories and pictures coming!
Hi SoSlow

I was wondering where've been. I figure you were trying to wear out that KLR somewhere.....

. Welcome to the party

I figure by the time I get home, I will know this bike pretty good. It might actually be a new bike when I get there :)

Thanks SoSLow, and say hey to Mrs SoSlow for me
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #67
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknbc View Post
You know I have to rub this in. My saddle
-bag fits aplate,cam ,and bolt.
Yeah yeah

But If I brought spare parts with me, I would have no reason to walk 5 miles around strange cities in 85 degree heat and meet new and interesting people.......
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #68
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red eyed and Rollin View Post
Suscribed! A true adventurer
Thanks Red eyed and Rollin (great handle, by the way)

I am having such a good time, I might just have to get an even OLDER bike for the next ride.................
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #69
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Great read and pics! Thanks!
Thanks Mr Magoo

I am glad you are enjoying me having this much fun :)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #70
bucknbc
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ok, I know where your bike is, and you know where mine is .....had to do it anyhoo. Hope I beat you to the reply
bucknbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #71
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Hey Brian, I hope you've got warm clothing for the ride home.
Uh-oh............

Should I be checking the weather reports back home?

I have warm clothes with me, and the dealers should have snowmobile suits in the stores by the time I get home, so I should be set.......
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #72
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknbc View Post
Ok, I know where your bike is, and you know where mine is .....had to do it anyhoo. Hope I beat you to the reply

Riiiight......

Spare parts....

What time do you go to work in the morning.................?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #73
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 11 Sept 27 850 kms Moriarty NM to Bowie TX

I packed up early and hit the road, wanting to make up some miles. Inmate JimBowie had invited me to come for a visit, so away I went East on Hwy 40, following the old Route 66. I rode along in light traffic, watching the scenery change as the road dropped in elevation. (Moriarty is at about 6000ft elevation. )

Along the way you can exit the freeway and ride through some of the towns on the historic route 66. In some areas the old buildings are in good shape and still in use.

I rode and rode the freeway, enjoying the light traffic and the Texas scenery. I pulled into Amarillo, where there were up ramps and down ramps and round and round ramps, but the traffic was light, the signage was great, so I was able to get through town with relative ease.

I turned off towards Dallas/Ft.Worth, enjoying the relaxing ride down the freeway (I know, right? I enjoyed the freeway!!)

I pulled into Bowie, TX and called JimBowie, and he came out to meet me and lead me to his house.

Jim and his wife, Sandra welcomed me into their beautiful home in true Texas fashion. They made me comfortable, asked me what I wanted for supper and when I wanted it. Sat me down, got me comfortable with something to drink, and then we started visiting.

They are so easy to talk to and I felt at ease with them right away.
We talked bikes, and travelling, and bikes, family, bikes and more about bikes. I have lots of friends who like motorcycles, but Jim LIKES motorcycles. A walking encyclopedia on bikes, bike racing, bike history, not to mention formula one racing, the best race tracks, the best places to sit at each race track. It was awesome.
They have put on many, many…..many miles 2 up and have great stories of where they have been and what they have seen. They have ridden all over on their Triumph 1050 tiger, and they have just traded it in on the new Triumph 1200, and they have a vintage XS650 in the garage.

They told me that they had invited a couple of friends over to visit, motorcycle fans who also ride a triumph 1050 amongst other bikes.
They also told me, smiling, that Sonny wasn’t what you might expect as a motorcycle rider……

So the doorbell rings, and in walk Sonny and Judy. Judy is a short, quick to smile, happy woman, and Sonny looks like what a guy might expect when someone talks about Texans. He is holding a hat the size of Texas in his hands, he shakes my hand, and in a sloooooow Texas drawl, says “Pleased to meet you, sir.”

Now Jim and Sandra have the Texas drawl that is so easy on the ears,(I don’t think you are allowed to live there without it) but Sonny takes it to a whole new level. He talks so slow and is so relaxed and easy going that a guy gets more relaxed just being in the same room as him. When I asked him what he did for a living, he told me he had “Been Cowboying most of his life”

We start talking bikes, and he has had, at one time or another, just about every bike you can think of. Dirt bikes, enduro bikes, trials bikes, street bikes, bultacos, Maicos, Yamahas, Harley, BMWs. What he hasn’t owned, he has ridden at some point, even the Bonneville speedway record holding Triumph Rocket.

We eat dinner, and visit, and visit, and visit. Me listening hard to understand their accents, and them listening hard to figure out what I am saying.

Sonny and Judy left quite late, and Jim, Sandra and I stayed up way late talking about bikes and everything else there is to talk about.

BC Brian screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 10:29 PM
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #74
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 12 Sept 28 339 kms Bowie TX to Seymor TX

Last night, we had talked about going for a ride around rural Texas. Sandra and Judy both had to work and Jim had some pressing things at work, and although he wouldn’t be able to go for a ride, he would be able to go in late. Sonny said that he would show me around before I headed in a Westerly direction, working my way towards home. Sandra, Jim and I had a bit of breakfast and visited before Sandra had to leave. I wanted to go over the bike before Sonny showed up, but Jim and I got to talking, so I had a late start at going over the bike and getting packed.

Sonny showed up and we got to visiting, we took time for a photo op

I thanked Jim again for his hospitality, invited them again up for a visit and Sonny and I took off for a look around. (I think that if Jim hadn’t had a pressing matter at work, we could have worn him down enough to come for a ride J )

We stopped at Sonny’s place to check out his bikes. Sonny has a little place out of town with a few animals and lots of space.

He showed me around his place. He has picked up lots of neat stuff over the years. Museum quality fossils, petrified wood, hundreds of arrow heads and other interesting things.

Sonny’s bikes

Corgi, the corgi

Judy’s bikes

Kickass lawn mower.

We rode around the area, Sonny pointing out interesting things.

We stopped at some old mine workings.

We rode around the paved back roads, up and down and around, past farms and lakes.

We stopped for a bite to eat in Saint Jo,

The food was great, and you knew you were in Texas when you read the sign above the urinal

The restaurant staff were really friendly, and thought I talked funny. I told them it was them, not me. I did learn to try and slow down my talking a bit so they would have a better chance of knowing what I was saying.

There was a saloon/museum next door, so they opened it up and showed us around.

I mentioned that I had never been to Oklahoma before, so he let the way to the Red River, the border.

Following Sonny

Into Oklahoma

We rode back into Texas to Archer City, I thanked him for the tour, he told me he would for sure ride up for a visit and then Sonny pointed me West, on secondary roads, and he headed back towards home.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #75
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
A big Texas thanks for visiting.

I cannot tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to visit us. It was truly an honor to have you as a guest in our home. We all enjoyed just sitting a talking about life and bikes with someone so experienced in both. What a thrill for us all. Looks like you and Sonny had a good ride. I knew you were in good hands with Sonny. He just has a way of making everything feel so natural and right with the world. I hope you did not get into any bad weather. I took the Explorer to Dallas to get the panniers, top box and driving lights added along with the 500 mile check. It absolutely poured down all the way there and back. At least now I know how it handles in the rain and where all my riding gear leaks. Again, thank you for coming to see us and we will surely be talking about your visit for years to come. Say hello to the wife and kids for us and ride safe. Don't be surprised if Sonny comes up to get your Buell.

Just remember, a government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take away all you have. Davy Crockett
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote