Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #241
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Cyborg, do you use the steering damper very often?

Do you find it is more useful when you have a heavy camping or travel load on the bike?

I find my damper to be most useful in all situations, it's the first thing I added to the bike and will add to any bike I buy.
Besides the obvious times it's useful like when you hit a big rock at speeds on the trail, or are riding in deep sand, when on the highway I crank it very tight to help with high speed stability too.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #242
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Good data on the oil analysis Finn! Guess it confirms what others have found, these engines stay together for a long time even if you don't treat them by the book.

Regarding your sprockets - I'd stick with OEM or Dirt Tricks. The latter will last longer because they are a bit harder, then again this could potentially have a negative influence on the life of your countershaft? Just speculation from some people... We did use DT sprockets on the Adventure Bergs in the beginning, will have to ask Barton if he changed them out eventually, because he reported no wear on the shaft. I am sure the cush hub is a big factor in that as well.

Dampers - never felt the need for one as strongly as I do on the Berg, the high speed stability of my 2012 sucks balls in stock form! I do now have a set of 14mm triples on there for my supermoto riding, and it feels more stable at 100 mph than it did before at 60. So triple clamp offset is a good tuning aid, going to play around with it a bit when I go back to the dirt wheels.

Don't think I have posted the pic of my setup for a trip last month in this thread:

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #243
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Right on Lukas, thanks for the info. OEM sprockets seem like a very logical solution, even if they are far more expensive.
A cush hub is high on my list of things to get for the Husa too, after fuel tank(s).

Glad I could get some real data to confirm what you guys, among other have been saying about the 70º motor.
It would be interesting to hear what Barton did on his ride back home for oil, I found it very hard to find 10W-50 synthetic oil here in the states except at some, not all, bike dealerships, no success at any car parts stores. Part of the reason I didn't change my oil on this trip. I can only imagine how hard it would be to find in South America.

Any thoughts about the oil found in my air box?

Sweet setup, looking good in street form!
I see your GoPro on there, when's the movie coming out?

LostRider.com
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #244
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Cruz, like Finn and Lukas, I like my damper on there for all situations, especially for sand and really rocky trail. I turn it way down in tight technical because it fights you then. The high speed stability seems pretty good on my 390 so I haven't felt the need to use it there, yet.

Lukas, very tidy and nice looking setup there. Why buy another bike when you can just get some swap parts and make it another bike!
You definitely have some awesome twisty paved roads to ride over there.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #245
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Hey Lukas let us know if the 14 mm off set triple clamps give more stability off road.
I would be very interested in that.
Where did you end up getting the clamps made?

Thanks.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #246
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Finn,

I am trying to get Barton to report all the details on how he dealt with fuel, fuel, luggage etc, and also how the bike held up. Hang tight!

I am also getting some oil in the air box, but am not overly concerned about it. Some of it might be attributable to foaming/mist when doing pavement runs with permanently higher RPMs. Those are some big power pulses creating pressure in the crank case!

One thing I want to try on the Berg is installing a one-way valve in the case vent hose, Thumper Racing makes a nice compact one that I have been using successfully in my RFS bikes. The idea is that you significantly reduce pressure build up in the cases, which helps all the gaskets stay oil tight, less oil foaming/misting + better ring seal, no dirt ingestion through the hose, and even increases overall power. If you look at Moto GP bikes they run a dedicated crankcase vacuum pump to take advantage of all these benefits. A much simpler/low tech approach on bikes like ours would be hooking up the vent hose behind the valve up to the header, in order to create a small vacuum (look up eductor for the mechanics of how this works). Probably overkill but if I do a track-day with the Berg I'll set it up this way, reported to be good for a 5 mph top speed gain in a 532cc KTM.

Good eye on discovering the GoPro! It belongs to a buddy of mine, he wanted me to film him with it over that really nice mountain pass. Still waiting for him to edit and upload the vids, I'll post a link when it's done.

Clif,

The Berg really makes an awesome supermoto, for the fast group I was with and on the twisty mountain roads we were riding I wouldn't have preferred any other bike, except maybe a 690 to get an extra 10-15 mph top speed. But then again, the 570 is already enough to go 37 over the speed limit so you'd just lose your license faster....

Indy,

The 14mm clamps are actually OEM KTM parts, used on a few SX bikes in the early 2000s. Some 450/560 SMRs (careful about the year as the newer ones have a longer stem) and the Berg FS570 used a billet version that is adjustable from 14-16mm. None of those are easy to find however, especially in the last few years as they have become a very popular upgrade with RFS riders.

I think for mixed riding on the Berg a set of 18-20mm clamps would give enough stability, this is also what the Australian Safari Team runs. Those clamps are very easy to find used as they came stock on all SX bikes since about 2007. I'll report what I find after some testing.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #247
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Any thoughts about the oil found in my air box?

I think that oil would be just extra oil from the air filter... So it should be pretty clean and air filter oil-looking.

Better to have a bit soggy on the bottom of the filter than to be too dry though, right?
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #248
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I think that oil would be just extra oil from the air filter... So it should be pretty clean and air filter oil-looking.

Better to have a bit soggy on the bottom of the filter than to be too dry though, right?
The new pre-oiled filters don't come oily enough to drip even over a longer period, and I am still getting some oil in the airbox, so it must come from the case vent hose.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #249
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I've put mostly road miles on my 570 and I get oil in the airbox. There was a small puddle of engine oil when I last cleaned the filter.
My Aprilia had this as well due to pumping pulses from the crankcase. On those, we can plug the line.

Finn, the dirt guys here bring filter socks with them on long enduro rides. They're like panty hose that go over the filter. They pull them off and slip on a new one as needed on the trip. 3-4 skins fit flat in a small ziplock.

rensho screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 11:01 AM
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #250
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
I've put mostly road miles on my 570 and I get oil in the airbox. There was a small puddle of engine oil when I last cleaned the filter.
My Aprilia had this as well due to pumping pulses from the crankcase. On those, we can plug the line.

Finn, the dirt guys here bring filter socks with them on long enduro rides. They're like panty hose that go over the filter. They pull them off and slip on a new one as needed on the trip. 3-4 skins fit flat in a small ziplock.

OK, well I guess it's good to hear I'm not alone with a puddle of oil in the air box after riding long stretches on road.

I tried searching for these filter socks you speak of, do you have any vendor names please?

I finally got my Husa back from Bazzaz Tuners, here's the wires I spliced into for power.

Green one for the heated grips

Grey one for GPS

After I get some more seat time I'll share some more thoughts on the new snazzy Bazzaz fuel controller I have, probably in the General thread. I now have the ability to control my fuel so I can lean it out a little to get better milage on of the the two maps I can store and switch between on the fly.
So far the bike runs great, an improvement no doubt. I'm happy to have even more control of how the bike runs for my travels with the ability to switch maps while riding.

LostRider.com
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #251
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

MSR Filter skins. These boys here.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Filter-Ski.../dp/B001DDPZN0

You can buy them at any moto store or online, superstore or rockymtn, etc.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #252
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Cruz, like Finn and Lukas, I like my damper on there for all situations, especially for sand and really rocky trail. I turn it way down in tight technical because it fights you then. The high speed stability seems pretty good on my 390 so I haven't felt the need to use it there, yet.

Lukas, very tidy and nice looking setup there. Why buy another bike when you can just get some swap parts and make it another bike!
You definitely have some awesome twisty paved roads to ride over there.
Interesting, as I find my 2010 390 very stable at high and low speeds, and have the sub tank fitted. Maybe having less power helps it out a bit?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #253
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
Mine had this too, after a while 3.0 engine hours. The oil was darkened a fair bit darker in the tub (and all the glitter and shavings of that first oil change) but the oil in the filter was so clean and light I had assumed it couldn't be engine oil. But now I'm thinking... Husaberg apparently overfill their motors often (according to the guy I bought it when I mentioned it was overfull) or perhaps always on their way out of the factory... Could it be something to do with a bit of overfilling?

I'm just trying to explain the "fresh" oil in the filter pan as opposed to the nicely roasted colour of the oil in the sump.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #254
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Interesting, as I find my 2010 390 very stable at high and low speeds, and have the sub tank fitted. Maybe having less power helps it out a bit?

It's not that I feel my bike is very unstable at high speeds, it's just when I'm riding on Interstate Highways with semi-trucks or cross winds, the opposite of what the bike is intended for, having the damper definitely helps @ 75mph

LostRider.com
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #255
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

I think it is just overfill on my motor. I saw in the sight glass was full, but i've left it there to see if it burns oil being new to the bike. Luckily, it doesn't seem to burn oil, 1750mi, so i keep my sight glass at 70% now.

I think the overfill also contributes to it being tough to find neutral.

Love this bike so far though.

My bike has headshake like crazy above 60mph with the enduro wheels on. The wheels are balanced and a Husaberg damper on full stiff too.