Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #256
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
I think it is just overfill on my motor. I saw in the sight glass was full, but i've left it there to see if it burns oil being new to the bike. Luckily, it doesn't seem to burn oil, 1750mi, so i keep my sight glass at 70% now.

I think the overfill also contributes to it being tough to find neutral.

Love this bike so far though.

My bike has headshake like crazy above 60mph with the enduro wheels on. The wheels are balanced and a Husaberg damper on full stiff too.
Wow.. my 570 has been up to 90mph on the road and never even wobbled.. I have never balanced the wheels, although I do suspect they are fairly well balanced just from blind luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #257
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
I think it is just overfill on my motor. I saw in the sight glass was full, but i've left it there to see if it burns oil being new to the bike. Luckily, it doesn't seem to burn oil, 1750mi, so i keep my sight glass at 70% now.

I think the overfill also contributes to it being tough to find neutral.

Love this bike so far though.

My bike has headshake like crazy above 60mph with the enduro wheels on. The wheels are balanced and a Husaberg damper on full stiff too.

It does seem pretty easy to overfill the oil, I do my best to get all the old oil out, tipping the bike, change with a hot motor, etc. and if I put in exactly 1.7L as prescribed the oil is above the recommended 60% full in the sight glass, even after running the motor to spread the oil around and fill the filter.

As for your wobble, lots of variables I guess. I know I couldn't live with any kind of severe wobble with all the tarmac riding I do to get to the trail. Have you set your suspension sag correctly?
What kind of tires?

BTW, thanks Resho for the filter skins link, I was searching for filter socks and just came up with tank socks.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #258
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It does seem pretty easy to overfill the oil, I do my best to get all the old oil out, tipping the bike, change with a hot motor, etc. and if I put in exactly 1.7L as prescribed the oil is above the recommended 60% full in the sight glass, even after running the motor to spread the oil around and fill the filter.
According to my bike's (2011 FE570S) owner's manual the amount of oil to refill the engine after oil/filter change is ... 1.35L/1.43qt.
It's on page 81 which may/may not correspond to your manual's page numbering.

I've checked my air filter housing and don't see any excess oil....no puddling for sure.

Dave
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #259
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
According to my bike's (2011 FE570S) owner's manual the amount of oil to refill the engine after oil/filter change is ... 1.35L/1.43qt.
It's on page 81 which may/may not correspond to your manual's page numbering.

I've checked my air filter housing and don't see any excess oil....no puddling for sure.

Dave

Yes you are correct, I misspoke off the top of my head, and maybe with wishful thinking that the FE holds more oil.

1.35L

Speaking of, any new word on the magical solution to adding more oil to our system?....

Bueller?

Bueller?

Lukas, how about those snazzy skid plate/tool boxes you guys have, any word on them becoming available to us mere mortals?

I was thinking I could buy the aluminum skid plate you find on KTM-Parts.com (to take a short cut and not pay to have the whole thing designed) and take it to a local fabricator to weld a box on it...

LostRider.com
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #260
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Yes you are correct, I misspoke off the top of my head, and maybe with wishful thinking that the FE holds more oil.

Speaking of, any new word on the magical solution to adding more oil to our system?....

Bueller?

Bueller?

Lukas, how about those snazzy skid plate/tool boxes you guys have, any word on them becoming available to us mere mortals?

I was thinking I could buy the aluminum skid plate you find on KTM-Parts.com (to take a short cut and not pay to have the whole thing designed) and take it to a local fabricator to weld a box on it...

I am testing my Oil cooler design this Weekend
I'm also working on the skid plate toolbox liquid container as we speak
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #261
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post

Shotgun,,, I mean dibbs,,, I mean.. put me on the list
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #262
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Awesome, you get a couple good products with solutions to our needs, you shall be one popular fellow around here....

LostRider.com
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #263
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
I've had my 390 up to 90 and a lot of time at 70-75mph (with and without luggage) and no wobbles or headshake at all. May have to do with your tire type, suspension preload and sag settings, fork position, etc. Lots of factors. The 2011 and I think 2010 IIRC were given a less twitchy frame geometry. The Scotts stabilizer is nice in that even when you turn it way down, it still blocks the big hits.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #264
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
I'd be interested in just the oil inlet/outlet fitting so I could tap my frame for oil. I like that idea a lot. Baja Dad will your skid plate liquid container be able to be filled with oil and recirculated in the engine?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #265
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:

Scotchloks! Hey Finn, send me your address and maybe I'll send you a soldering iron and some heat shrink for Christmas
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #266
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Scotchloks! Hey Finn, send me your address and maybe I'll send you a soldering iron and some heat shrink for Christmas
I was thinking the exact same thing.. wouldnt want those up there where everything is always getting wet.. well on my bike it is always getting wet because I drop it in big mud puddles
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #267
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:

You can call Force Accessories up or email them, they sell them on request, but only make them on demand so it's a couple weeks lead time is all.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #268
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Awesome, you get a couple good products with solutions to our needs, you shall be one popular fellow around here....
Give mw a little time!!
I am working on them
But I am also trying to bulid our Baja1000 bike and prep our Pre run Bikes..

I would think around Mid OCT.
Sorry I am Slamed !!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #269
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
I see Stephan has finally put them in his web shop so I guess they must be available? I know he was working on incorporating some improvements based on feedback from us - maybe check with him by email.

http://www.bashplates.de/Husaberg-FE...u3aventfag21o5

The prices there include 19% German VAT so for outside the EU it should be €300 which is about $385. I'd say that's very reasonable for the high end materials and amount of work, nothing bent on there, only laser cut and welded pieces of 7 series aluminum.

I recently fitted two quart sized bottles of Motorex (one was 3/4 full), my tire levers, an oil filter and a small bolt kit in there, so if you had something that would fill the shape better like a bigger MSR dromedary bag you should probably get 3 liters of liquid in there - enough for two oil changes?

Regarding the oil cooler, I think Berglund is selling the adapter pieces for the engine block separately, and I am trying to get some made from billet that bolt to the side of the block similar to the HT-Racing RFS cooler. I'll report if there are any news on that.

Cheers,
Lukas

Edit: And the flat area on the left rear side facing the rider makes a good spot for another oil bottle or similar:

LukasM screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 10:38 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #270
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post

Funny thing is I'm an electronic technician among other things, have a full suit of tools and excellent soldering skills, my tools happened to be out of the country at the time I was getting the Husa ready. Honestly I'm not worried, I can fix it if it breaks on the road, and 7500 miles of riding with doing it the easy half assed way to do it so far tells me it's just fine.

As for getting wet, nothing is sealed up there in any of the OEM connectors so these taps don't make any difference whatsoever when it comes to water.

It could be prettier for sure, but as long as it works, it works for me.

Thanks for the link Lukas, I'll wait and see what Dad comes up with and go from there.

I feel like we're getting closer to having more oil in the Husa's.... loving it!

Yo Baja Dad, I'm trying to work out riding the Husa down to check out the race in November, need any help with pits?....

LostRider.com