Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Eenteresting. Now I wonder what else is wrong on BMWs spec sheets.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Eenteresting. Now I wonder what else is wrong on BMWs spec sheets.
Luxury didn't include the comfort seat? Would have been a better option than the Vario mounts.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
May I get some ketchup and mustard with my hat?

So they are indeed WP forks in 43mm, and both DE and international official BMW Motorrad pages are wrong, too.

One possible reason why they used those is that WP does not make a 45mm fork (that I am aware of) and their 43mm USD fork happens to share the same dimensions in the stanchions as the 45mm Zoke: 54mm diameter in the upper clamping area, and 57mm diameter in the lower. So they would still be able to use the same triple clamps.

Now the interesting question is if they are finally adjustable or at least have non-crimped cartridges, or if it's just a provider switch for the same cheap ass fork?
So the clamping diameter is the same and were used in a lot of KTM bikes. Interesting, and the wheels are turning. What model number are they?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Well, size doesn't always mean better. There are a myriad of shock options and things like air shocks, progressive versus straight springs, dampening rate, etc. can affect a ride a lot more than the size.

But yeah, a reduction in size w/o any additional information means it's a downgrade.
I'm not suggesting that size has anything to do with dampening but decreased diameter means less rigid forks (everything else being equal or course). 48mm WPs from a KTM will flex less than the 45mm Marzocchi's on the pre 2013 F800gs and those will flex less than the 43mm WPs on a new F800gs.

Those 43's don't look like they have any adjustments anywhere. Appears to be the same allen bolt on the bottom and standard cap on the top. Like Lukas said, hopefully they didn't crimp the bottom of the cartridge this time allowing re-valves to be preformed. Maybe the guys with the 2013-newer F8's will have some luck finding adjustable WP donor internals like some of us have done with the Marzocchi Shiver 45s

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 96
Love the GoPro setup!

Quote:
Well, size doesn't always mean better. There are a myriad of shock options and things like air shocks, progressive versus straight springs, dampening rate, etc. can affect a ride a lot more than the size.

But yeah, a reduction in size w/o any additional information means it's a downgrade.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #36
FinStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
This is obviously not a question about upgrading/changing the bike. Probably WP just offered their 43 forks 5 % cheeper than Marzocchi. The big crowd will be happy with this, a small group of heavy-users will not.

It is hard to understand why BMW can´t make a "R" alternative with racing-shocks for some extra money.
FinStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #37
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinStorm View Post
This is obviously not a question about upgrading/changing the bike. Probably WP just offered their 43 forks 5 % cheeper than Marzocchi. The big crowd will be happy with this, a small group of heavy-users will not.
I agree, these are clearly not "real" WP forks, even if they are now manufactured by WP. Their design has nothing to do with the WP MXMA forks, neither the closed nor the open cartridge version. Instead it is the same cheap un-adjustable BMW spec as the 08-12 models, with even thinner sliders.

Both fork bottoms and caps look the same as the previous generation, none offer any adjusters:

PatrickM's 2013 on the left, Motorfiets (ex) 2010 fork on the right:

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #38
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
I agree, these are clearly not "real" WP forks, even if they are now manufactured by WP. Their design has nothing to do with the WP MXMA forks, neither the closed nor the open cartridge version. Instead it is the same cheap un-adjustable BMW spec as the 08-12 models, with even thinner sliders.

Both fork bottoms and caps look the same as the previous generation, none offer any adjusters:
Lukas, got to say I appreciate many of your posts (e.g. on thumpers talking about rear pegs and the subframes) so let me ask a few questions of you or any other readers, without trying to offend...

What makes a real WP fork? The reason I ask is that I have seen many discussions centered around a change in manufacturing process (e.g. Mercedes and Chrysler, Rotax being manufactured in China) but the end result is still owned by the parent company. It's still technically a WP fork, even though we may perceive a downgrade in quality - which I am not disagreeing with, but it's an opportunity for WP and for BMW if this were truly a WP fork!

How valuable is the multi-adjustment? Yes, 100% agree it provides a great deal of flexibility, but when I look at ESA today, I have 3 settings (NORM, COMF and SPORT) which may take away from the ability to do 1/4 to 4 full turns for the dampening settings. Does a myriad of settings take away from the enjoyment of the machine (aka set it and forget it), versus having a lot of fine tuning which for the most part confuses people who simply want to buy a bike and ride?

Can the technology of WP be better than what BMW had before? I know crappy straight springs, weak seals and bad dampening settings can ruin the bike in a myriad of situations, can this setting be "good enough" for what most people use it for?

Do we think that WP has in the back of their mind that this is the entry to a larger BMW market - to see how their stuff handles (a pig of a bike 600 lbs, not counting gear which can push this bike to the 1000# mark), and potentially provide an upgrade solution later on?

Without taking it apart and looking at the design, can we determine what type of WP suspension is in there, e.g. from the sticker and potentially what could be changed?

Suspension is critical. No one should disagree with this as this allows us to keep the tire in contact with the ground, and handle weight transfers without killing the rider (looping or bottoming out). Tires are the first things I change to suit my manner of style, suspension is near the top of the list, but not the top. Why? Because it's so damn expensive. I would love a "Chinese menu" of options, but no manufacturer allows such customization and the change out is a PITA so we wind up with multiple bikes.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
How valuable is the multi-adjustment? Yes, 100% agree it provides a great deal of flexibility, but when I look at ESA today, I have 3 settings (NORM, COMF and SPORT) which may take away from the ability to do 1/4 to 4 full turns for the dampening settings. Does a myriad of settings take away from the enjoyment of the machine (aka set it and forget it), versus having a lot of fine tuning which for the most part confuses people who simply want to buy a bike and ride?
Very valuable, not only because you can tailor your ride according to surface and style, but also because you can compensate for rider weight and spring stiffness to an extent.
At the end of the day you will not keep changing settings all the time, but it will take some time to arrive at the settings which work best overall for you. You just can never find them though without some extent of adjustability.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Is that your way of saying that you agree with me that the forks are still the same shitty cheap 45mm Zokes?
I agree. - I think the forks on my wheel barrow work better.

If the forks weren't lame enough - when they work. - - My friend just bought a brand new 2013 F800 GS. Within 3 days- Under 400 miles, we walked outside to get on our bikes, and noticed fork oil dripping out of both of her forks. Back to the shop with a brand new bike, with leaky forks.

For the kind of money a person shells out, - I'd expect a lot more.

I hate my forks on my 2011 F800GS. I bottom out - easily. I'm looking to replace the entire system.

I'm a little annoyed at the amount of after market money that is required to make a bike worth riding from the F800 GS. More than a little annoyed.
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #41
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,919
You should've bought a KLR650. People over there love them...
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #42
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Stirring the pot
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Wrong
The only person wrong here is you.
Would you like a picture of the WP sticker on my forks???
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #44
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Yeah - works right out of the box ..... (really?)

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
The only person wrong here is you.
Would you like a picture of the WP sticker on my forks???

nope....

got my sticker already.... don't need to see another one

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote