Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Custom snub nose F800GS

I am editing this to include the whole process from start to finish. I began this project after reviewing many other individuals threads about their own custom F800 snubnose and after seeing the realities of what can happen when the stock fender with the stock brake lines snapped I decided that this was imperative for my own safety given the fact that I ride a lot of aggressive trails and am often doing it solo.

I started with my 2011 BMW F800GS, I have already upgraded the suspension w/a Ohlins Nix kit and a rear Ohlins shock.

Removed the beak and began playing w/a variety of ideas of what I could/should do. In following Erling's work I began to look at carbon fiber to meet my needs of some custom parts.

Very basic idea of what I may do in terms of filling the void once I install a new front fender.

This is the biggest issue for installing a front fender from a MX bike. The 3 bolt pattern of the lower triple has to be converted to a 4 bolt pattern to mate w/a MX fender.

I chose to fabricate a piece of carbon fiber while making a piece to fill the gap of the front cowl to test out bolt patterns for the lower triple to MX fender.

Once I had the front fender, a KTM 690 front fender: http://www.ktm-parts.com/7650801000030.html
I could begin to finalize the bolt pattern.

I took the final bolt pattern from the CF piece and used that to fabricate a piece of aluminum to mount the fender to the lower triple tree.

From here you will need to complete the brake lines (I actually had these done before I mounted the fender. I went with spiegler lines. http://www.spieglerusa.com/

I went with Spiegler lines because they come w/the ability to swivel them. This was integral on one of the lines. I went w/a 38 inch line w/a 20 degree bend (caliper side) and a 45 degree bend (ABS side) and then a 39 inch line w/a 20 degree bend (caliper side) and a 90 degree bend (ABS side). This worked out nicely and I am happy with the lengths, not too much and enough for the suspension travel plus turning of the handle bars (and enough for a full turn and full suspension load/no load).

This is what it was looking like at this point.

Now on ward to the carbon fiber. If you want to do this sort of stuff you will need to do a modest amount of research. Read Erling's posts, get on youtube etc...

Right now I am currently working on a rear luggage rack for the bike as well as other things. I will adjust this post as I continue, and will update more information etc...

So I have almost completed the rear luggage rack, this is heavy duty, incorporates many layers of carbon fiber and a few layers of kevlar. Because I had so many layers in the layup I made a few beginners mistakes so I wound up with more air bubbles than I desired in the finished product. Instead of keeping it all glossy and carbon fiber looking I opted to paint it black and will rubberize it so it has more friction. Finding bolts was a pain in the butt and I had to order online via boltdepot.com

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

runnin4melife screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 06:29 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote