User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
pelvis_98 OP
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,958
Buying in the UK

Has anyone from outside of the UK actually bought a bike in the UK for use?

I have read plenty of times about people asking about shipping a bike from North America, versus renting\buying a bike in Europe.
I have thought a few times that I don’t know if it would be possible for someone to buy a bike where I live if they did not live in Ontario, Canada. While anyone could buy a bike here the problem would exist if they wanted to register it and leave it here.

I know lots of people will say “sure, it would be no problem” but a few of my concerns would be:

1. If I bought a bike there would I be able to register it in the UK, as I don’t have a permanent address there?
2. I don’t have a UK driver’s license. Would one not be needed to register a bike there?
3. Insurance, how would I get insurance on the bike without a UK driver’s license and permanent address?
4. if it was possible to get insurance would I not be considered a new driver there as I have no drivers history? Thus paying a huge amount of money. I have read about green card insurance. But I am getting the impression that this is not for someone buying a bike in the UK and using it there. It appears to me the green card is used to prove you have insurance. Maybe I’m reading that part all wrong though.

While I do live in Canada I do have a EU passport.(Irish) I am not sure if this is of help or of hindrance.

pelvis_98 screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 11:51 AM
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 285
Some afaik's

1: The V5 logbook/registration identifies the recorded keeper...not the owner.....handy for speeding tickets eh?...possible road fund (lmao the money is spent elsewhere) licence issue if untaxed a fine automatically comes to the registered keepers address...stress?

2: No licence required for registration docs.

3: Never been asked for a permanent address in the last 30 years or so....just an address.

4: How long licence held and claims over the last 5 years is all I get asked for.

Green card thing....maybe it's for health care whilst here?

EU passport is always going to be handy to have......

The problem as I see it is where and with whom do you leave the bike....along with the yearly MOT inspection...and the road robb....er... tax

Keithy screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 04:00 PM Reason: keepers address...stress
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Oddometer: 74
First post on this site but may be able to answer some of your queries.

1. As per previous reply registered keeper is not necessarily owner BUT it is an offence for the previous keeper not to advise the DVLA of new keeper. i.e. if buying from a garage they would want a UK address for you so they can advise the DVLA. Others may be less scrupulous.

2. As per previous reply, no required for uk licence to register vehicle.

3. Think you'd struggle with insurance as; where would the bike be kept overnight, where would they send the policy docs to and write to if there was an issue with the policy/payment etc. You are probably right in that you'd struggle with proof of no claims bonus as i'm not sure they'd accept proof from companies outside the uk.

4. The green card you mention would be used if you were taking a bike from abroad into the uk (or from uk to elsewhere) and means that your insurance from county of origin would cover you for minimum requirements for the country you are entering. i.e. 3rd party risks. It's normally printed on reverse of your certificate of insurance.

Hope that helps. I'm happy to be corrected if i've got anything wrong (it is 0155 and i'm just home from work!).

Craig
FJRCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
You could buy in Ireland.
I can help with the purchase, registering it in your name and getting it collected. Also bear in mind, green card insurance is not valid in the country the bike is registered in so, it may be an advantage to get it registered in Ireland if you intend riding in the UK.
As non residents have had no issues in the past, I don't see a problem.

I have storage available as well if you need it.