User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #571
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966

My cabin for the night.

Met up with the CTO of our company in Maine, along with his son, had a few drinks, got to drive his new A7 (techno-tour-de-force) and had a lobster roll for the first time. Then crashed hard, woke up early, worked frantically and headed to Boston.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #572
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLifeRider View Post
Wow...you're still here?! It's bleeping cold and the roads are horrible!On your way down to the US if you can...you must check out Tracy Road near rte 9 and the 87 in Upper NY state...Often considered the best motorcycle road in this area.

I'm interested in the Panigale but dealers up here aren't very accommodating and I will not purchase a bike without at least a 60 min ride. I did demo the BMW S1000rr on two separate occasions for 90 mins and it is comfortable for distance riding...at least for me. How are you holding up on your bike so far?

D.
Yeah, it's fucking cold and it's been wet and slick. I did get a one piece rain suit, H/H underwear, and have a neck bootie now. As long as the neurons are firing and I stay warm. The Panigale fits like a proverbial glove now. I've actually gotten drowsy on it a few times I'm so comfortable.

Looks like Tracy Road is 150 or so miles west of where I'll be (MV to NYC). Unless it's a different Tracy Rd. than I found on google maps....
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #573
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I think you might have skipped from page one to page 38. I've been talking about 'mental stuff' the entire time.
Indeed, the "mental stuff" is one of the things which has set this ride report apart from
the rest from the outset.

Of course the writer cannot be responsible for the poor reading comprehension of readers.

Quote:
But to answer your question, the bike is still a magnet. I'm not, though--and don't care to be. Relationships never favor those who care the most and morality prevents me from caring the least. So I'm pretty much fucked.

Respectfully I submit that it is the vast majority of people who are "fucked",
not you. It has to do with the idea that "the unexamined life is not worth living".

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 10:31 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #574
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
It was meant to be sarcastic...

JG

as was mine, LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #575
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hi AntiHero, glad you found redemption within Montreal's finest food spots.
Au Pied du Cochon is one of my favourite restos in town. Mmm, love them Cromequis!

Montreal is a well cultured foodie city. Among the best out of the great cities around the globe IMO.
Its good you got a taste of some of the finer joints.
There are many more to discover, so its more reason to return next summer I suppose.

I love reading your RR and the deep essays that seem to flow with ease. Great writing amigo.

Safe travels.

cheers,
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #576
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricklidz View Post
Boston? That didn't take long! Raining? I'm 50 miles south. I'll detail that sumbitch! Room waiting......Portuguese food. Garage storage.
PM Sent.

Bad news yesterday. SuperChachi, who appeared in Episode Minneapolis and Indianapolis, went down in some oil that had been barfed out of a Buell. Not good for his bike and definitely not good for him.

From the expression on his face you can tell he took it like a champ.

That might have been before being told he had to wear these, though (two broken ankles).

Best of luck to a swift recover, buddy! Wish it wasn't so bad, but I'm happy it's not worse. Back to skullduggery, hijinks and tomfoolery in "only" six weeks! Hang in there.

Everyone else - be safe. Rewards for motorcycling are great, but so are the risks.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #577
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Boston was a mess. I made a last minute reservation at a B&B over the phone. The owner said that there's plenty of parking, it's a safe neighborhood, etc. etc., only when I showed up the only non-residential permit parking was 3 blocks away. Nope....wasn't feeling it, so I left. Went into an Embassy Suites or Hilton or something just to unload all my gear and get online to find another place, which I did at the College Club of Boston on Commonwealth. They even had a local parking garage. Excellent.

Course when I showed up at the parking garage they wouldn't let me through....strict policy of no motorcycles. Couldn't bribe the guy, he wouldn't turn a blind eye. So street parking it was for the night.

About the only thing worse than the parking was the traffic and traffic flow--and it's time for some fucking political commentary, which I hate, but fuck me--billions are being spent to try and increase MPG of cars and decrease emissions and lower our dependence on fossil fuels, but has no one thought about perhaps upgrading the metered traffic lights to something, say, more advanced than what was being used in 1960. In Boston and countless other cities traffic is constantly stopped for no reason while we wait for the green light that smiles upon an empty lane. And what's worse is if the lights were timed so that you could hit 5 or 6 green in a row (ala 19th Ave in SF), millions of gallons of fuel would not be wasted. I just don't get it. An intelligent traffic metering system using technology that already exists (motion sensors, logarithms that meter traffic based on optimal flow patterns, a fucking motherboard with a processor, etc.) could do more for fuel efficiency in cities than anything that's currently happening to save it in the private sector.

Anyhow, traffic in Boston made for bad times. And pedestrians are dumb as shit--and arrogant about it--too. The city could save thousands of tax dollars a year by not painting crosswalks, too, since no one uses them.

Anyhow, so I spent most of the first night trying to find where I'd be the second--none of it panned. Fate smiled on me and at the last min. a particular someone got me into the Omni for the night with early check in/late check out. :) Thanks again! They even had a parking garage nearby that allowed bikes.

Right near the hotel was a bustling cemetery. Surprised when I saw this:

After two days being in the thick of it I wanted out. I was not enjoying Boston. People are nice and the history of the city is very cool, but the place didn't click with me. Love the energy of lots of big cities, just couldn't dig Boston. Stayed in Jamaica Plains for the next three days. Couldn't say I loved that, either, but at least it was relaxing.

Also got a chance to try Haggus--which I've been afraid to eat, figuring it would be gross. (Sheep stomach stuffed with meat and oats). Looks like a giant alien's eyeball, sliced open with an exacto knife, then stuffed with gristly bits of ground up toes.

Tasted marginally better than it looked. About the only thing needing updating more than traffic lights is Scottish cuisine.

Got to cross this off my list, too. :)

AntiHero screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 01:52 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #578
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Did have an incredible dinner at Toro, though. Amazing Tapas and the best marrow to date:

More cemeteries (the only place I could go for tranquility)

That's it. Done with Boston.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #579
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

You remind me of The Wolverine!!!
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #580
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
My friends in Maine call Massachusetts people "Mass-Holes"

Sounds like they got it right.
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #581
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolechalupa View Post
You remind me of The Wolverine!!!
There's a reason why he rode a motorcycle, too. ;)

Bike loaded onto Ferry to Martha's Vineyard after a cold/wet ride from Boston:

Home for the week. Nothing succeeds like excess.

I'm not quite sure how many rooms are in the house yet. But there are at least 7 more than I need. I am happy. I am alone. It is quiet. And if I can go a week without crashing in the soft "front-tire-sucking" peastone driveway it will be a miracle.

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 12:47 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #582
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Sorry U didn't like Beantown.

I think its a cool city & easy to get around - on the T that is.

But Massholes are known to be terrible drivers & since the city is old (by US standards) the layout of streets are not the best.

Oh Well - NYC will make up for it

PM when U know what dates U'll be in NYC, like to hook up for a City ride, etc

Rhino
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #583
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:

Home for the week. Nothing succeeds like excess.

I'm not quite sure how many rooms are in the house yet. But there are at least 7 more than I need. I am happy. I am alone. It is quiet. And if I can go a week without crashing in the soft "front-tire-sucking" peastone driveway it will be a miracle.
Gorgeous home.
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #584
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Boston was a mess....
About the only thing worse than the parking was the traffic and traffic flow--and it's time for some fucking political commentary, which I hate, but fuck me--billions are being spent to try and increase MPG of cars and decrease emissions and lower our dependence on fossil fuels, but has no one thought about perhaps upgrading the metered traffic lights to something, say, more advanced than what was being used in 1960. In Boston and countless other cities traffic is constantly stopped for no reason while we wait for the green light that smiles upon an empty lane. And what's worse is if the lights were timed so that you could hit 5 or 6 green in a row (ala 19th Ave in SF), millions of gallons of fuel would not be wasted. I just don't get it. An intelligent traffic metering system using technology that already exists (motion sensors, logarithms that meter traffic based on optimal flow patterns, a fucking motherboard with a processor, etc.) could do more for fuel efficiency in cities than anything that's currently happening to save it in the private sector.
i was thinking about this today. you're right of course, but the logical extension of these "advances" is removing the operator from the equation. that seems completely counter to what motorcycling is about.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #585
Iman01
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
i was thinking about this today. you're right of course, but the logical extension of these "advances" is removing the operator from the equation. that seems completely counter to what motorcycling is about.
It can be done without removing the operator. While it can be difficult to predict what "you" the individual will do while driving; predicting what a population of people will do while driving is very achievable.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote