Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #271
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I went back and looked at the feature sets between the normal motoscope and the rally version. Although I like the the waterproof connections and heavier wiring on the rally model, it looks like the data isn't quite as useful for travelling purposes:

Rally:
Fuel gauge in % (LED bargraph)
Speed in km/h or mi/h
Adjustable trip meter A
Adjustable trip meter B
Adjustable total distance meter
Travel time
Max. speed
Operating hours meter

Regular:
Rev counter (LED bargraph)
Rev counter (numeric)
Threshold adjustment/gear shift flash
Speedometer
Trip meter
Total distance (adjustable)
Travel time display
You are right. But my bike is more used for rally and off road things. When I'm doing a roadbook trip it would be nice to re-set the trip meters easier. At the moment I use a KTM switch and connected it to the kill switch.It works...
For travelling I count on the gps.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #272
Super rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
battery not charging

I recently installed an acewell on my bike. I used beckman's diagram but some of the wire colors didnt match. I have a 1975 75/6. Not sure what year or make his was. His diagram has green/black and blue going to the light. My bike has no green/black wire from the instrument cluster. I have a green/blue which I did hook up to the plain blue and run it to a seperate light. After using the bike for a couple of weeks I discovered I have a dead battery. I'm now wondering If I don't have that light hooked up with the proper wires, since that light is part of the charging system. I used a tester and figured out what all the other wires did so through process of elimination thats how I came up with the blue/green wire being the only possible wire. When riding it the last few weeks the light does come on for a few seconds after starting the bike, and then after revving the bike or riding it it goes of after a few seconds. Which I beleive is how its supposed to work. My question is simple, if anyone has done this on the same year and make model do I have the wires right? Is the blue/green wire the correct substitute for the green black wire in beckmans original diagram? Is the way the light is working the correct way? FYI i did use a real bulb and not an LED as bekman suggested so unless that's the wrong wire I dont know what else it would be. Ofcourse it could just be a coincidence and my battery died for an unrelated issue but it seems an awful big coincidence.
Super rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #273
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
I recently installed an acewell on my bike. I used beckman's diagram but some of the wire colors didnt match. I have a 1975 75/6. Not sure what year or make his was. His diagram has green/black and blue going to the light. My bike has no green/black wire from the instrument cluster. I have a green/blue which I did hook up to the plain blue and run it to a seperate light. After using the bike for a couple of weeks I discovered I have a dead battery. I'm now wondering If I don't have that light hooked up with the proper wires, since that light is part of the charging system. I used a tester and figured out what all the other wires did so through process of elimination thats how I came up with the blue/green wire being the only possible wire. When riding it the last few weeks the light does come on for a few seconds after starting the bike, and then after revving the bike or riding it it goes of after a few seconds. Which I beleive is how its supposed to work. My question is simple, if anyone has done this on the same year and make model do I have the wires right? Is the blue/green wire the correct substitute for the green black wire in beckmans original diagram? Is the way the light is working the correct way? FYI i did use a real bulb and not an LED as bekman suggested so unless that's the wrong wire I dont know what else it would be. Ofcourse it could just be a coincidence and my battery died for an unrelated issue but it seems an awful big coincidence.
I don't have the answer you are looking for so I hope someone posts about the colored wires you are concerned with, but I want to ask, did you check your charging system? Doesn't the acewell have a setting to switch to voltage? (if not use a volt meter) Your battery should read something over 13 volts- say 13.5 or 13.8 (guessing here) when your bike is revving over 1000 RPM. Another thing to check would be for a voltage leak when the bike is off. This would require one of those inductive amp meters though. There could be a small short or something left on that draws some current when you turn off the key.
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #274
Super rider
Adventurer

yeah i'll have to check everything i'm sure. can't check the volts now ofcourse cause its completely dead but i'll charge it up and hook everything to it and see what i get. didn't know the acewell had a voltage check on it though. that would be convenient if it does. thanks.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #275
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super rider View Post
yeah i'll have to check everything i'm sure. can't check the volts now ofcourse cause its completely dead but i'll charge it up and hook everything to it and see what i get. didn't know the acewell had a voltage check on it though. that would be convenient if it does. thanks.
Well don't quote me on that as I haven't installed my acewell yet. I thought I read it on the box though, and it would be damn easy to throw in as a feature so it better be there!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #276
Super rider
Adventurer

Well the bike completely died on me on the side of the road. After sitting there for an hour the local BMW shop came and got me. As suspected the battery is dead and the bike isn't charging at all. The BMW mechanic left for the day so I need to leave it. Therefore hopefully someone can answer my question before Monday so I can call the guy and tell him what to do before they charge me a fortune trying to figure it out.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #277
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Testing

I have not installed the Acewell yet but plan on it soon. I do have a problem very similar and this weekend going to try to sort it out.
First thing to do is check the battery - they can charge up and show 12+ volts particularly the AGM batteries - but check it under load - after you charge it try to start the bike and watch the voltage - if it drops too low you may have a compromised cell. Once started check the voltage to make sure you are getting enough out of the alternater / Regulator to charge the battery. If not Snowbum's site has a very good method of determining what in the charging system has decided to become flakey. I checked the batt charged it and saw good voltage and good charging and it failed while driving down the road - all of a sudden. Have one arriving today - then plan to go through everything to make sure the battery failure was not caused by something else. I doubt the Acewell/generator light caused the problem.

Check out Snowbum's site - http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techni...icles-list.htm

Good luck!
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #278
tete
clown shoes

Oddometer: 346
I've tried reading through this thread and its getting abit confusing as with cross over harness's etc.

Here is what I have R90/6 1975

I am looking to get the Acewell and if I read this correctly I can get a sensor for the tranny to read RPM and speed?

I have seen the one I like, it runs about $200, the one that was lesser I don't believe they make anymore?

please advise

Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #279
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
I am looking to get the Acewell and if I read this correctly I can get a sensor for the tranny to read RPM and speed?
When you order your Acewell, you may choose to order the transmission speedometer sensor: http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell%20A...ion=full&id=61 . The RPM (tachometer) "sensor" is from your coil or spark-plug wire. I am in the process (very slow progress) of installing my Acewell. I will make some pictures and post some notes on my progress (check back in three months).
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #280
tete
clown shoes

What did you end up paying shipped I the us? Assuming you got the $200 one.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #281
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

I bought the analog tach model ACE-4454AB priced at $330, http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell%20S...ion=full&id=41 , and got the speed sensor ACE-S11. Total cost was $382, shipping charge was less than $52 (there was currency exchange fee, too).
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:24 AM Reason: correction
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #282
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

got the speedo mounted:

pic:

nother pic:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #283
tete
clown shoes

What triple tree ? Sweet !
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #284
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
What triple tree?
That is a Toaster Tan triple clamp. See http://www.pbase.com/toastertan/top_braces .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #285
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Speaking of Toaster Tan triple trees, how 'bout a little love for my newly mounted Acewell on a toaster tan tree?
Before anyone asks any questions, this is a bike-in-progress and I like to mount stuff but nothing works yet.
Too many WIRES!

1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)