Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,227
How did the repair facility substantiate the charge when the bike was not repaired?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Charged me for labor and parts (that clearly was not needed). I contacted BMW north america, and shall proceed there.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,571
Look at the bright side... It'll make a great winter project. (sorry I had to say it since I live in Fl) Good Luck!!!

QUOTE=ebohnet1;19714526]I got the bike back yesterday. Total cost was 1856.60 and the bike was the same as when i dropped it off. The bike will not start at all, cant turn over.

So now the fun begins....[/QUOTE]

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
How did the repair facility substantiate the charge when the bike was not repaired?
^^^^ THIS x 1000

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #35
def
Ginger th wonder dog

I recommend a campaign to let all know of this dealer's poor service and ridiculous charges.

I wonder if there are any legal implications in your favor?

Also, I would stop payment for obvious reasons.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #36
fasterlaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
So, he jumped onto the bike and began romping on the kick starter (this was not an electric start motorcycle) but to no avail.

I had little experience with Harleys of that vintage but I have extensive experience with kick start motorcycles.

I slowly stroked the engine through one revolution of the kick lever. Adequate compression and I could smell fuel. The problem was immediately apparent. I reached down to the clutch cable and introduced some cable slack (there was no lock nut on the adjuster ferrule).

I turned on the ignition and gave the kick lever one stab. That little Harley burst into life with a nice flame from the up-swept exhaust pipes that were full of fuel.
Alright, I'll bite on this story. My only exposure to kick starts was my old Triumph, but I'm having a tough time making a connection between engine spark (since compression and fuel were good) and the clutch cable being tight. Mind enlightening me?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
Alright, I'll bite on this story. My only exposure to kick starts was my old Triumph, but I'm having a tough time making a connection between engine spark (since compression and fuel were good) and the clutch cable being tight. Mind enlightening me?
On many older kick start motorcycles, the clutch must be engaged for the kick starter to rotate the engine. In this instance, the clutch was slipping due to the poor adjustment.

Engine spark, fuel and compression were fine. Because the clutch was slipping, the kicker would not turn the engine over past TDC.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #38
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Tagesk had a dead 1150-click here His turned out to be a wire damaged by battery acid I think.

Good feedback from the collective. I'd definitely be looking for a bad ground and checking the fuel system for flow.

Otherwise the only I can offer is empathy over the rape of the bro's wallet. Was there an agreement that this puppy would be "fixed"? If so, services were not delivered and you have a case.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #39
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with the wife's '93 Acura. One day it stopped running, I was busy at work, so I took it to the local dealer. After they messed with it for a day, the service guy told me that they didn't know what the problem was and since it was an OBD-I car, they were unlikely to be able to figure it out without just replacing a bunch non-returnable electrical parts.

I said, "Are you telling me you don't want to work on my car?"

Service guy, "Pretty much, sorry."

I had to go the GM of the dealership to get them to eat the $150 "diagnostic fee", since they hadn't diagnosed anything.

Luckily for you, there a lot of oilhead experts out there.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #40
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
Take them to small claims court and dispute the charges there. It will not go well for them.

Most judges take a dim view of dealers that do not know their stuff.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
On many older kick start motorcycles, the clutch must be engaged for the kick starter to rotate the engine.
Honda CB250T/400T models from about 1978 to 1980 had a kick starter which was after the clutch, on the input side of the gearbox.
If the clutch was disengaged and the bike was in neutral, the kick start lever had virtually no resistance and did not turn the motor over.
If the clutch was disengaged and the bike was in gear, the kick start lever turned the rear wheel; faster in higher gears!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Eric:

Let us know what the eventual diagnosis is.

When that is known, I would take the matter up with BMW Canada.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #43
fasterlaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
On many older kick start motorcycles, the clutch must be engaged for the kick starter to rotate the engine. In this instance, the clutch was slipping due to the poor adjustment.

Engine spark, fuel and compression were fine. Because the clutch was slipping, the kicker would not turn the engine over past TDC.
Thanks def. I read your comment about 'adequate compression' and assumed it was fine and turning over in a manly sort of way. Thanks for the clarification, that makes a heck of a lot more sense.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
Thanks def. I read your comment about 'adequate compression' and assumed it was fine and turning over in a manly sort of way. Thanks for the clarification, that makes a heck of a lot more sense.
The Harley guy was really exasperated when he and his buddies couldn't get the engine to start after he had ridden it into the bar on it's own two cylinders. Apparently, the clutch adjustment had vibrated loose while he was trashing the bike between his house and the bar.

This was an impatient, arrogant sort of guy who wanted desperately to show off to his audience and lost it when the Harley didn't cooperate.

I felt sorry for the guy but not so sorry that I didn't accept a beer to unlock the mystery to starting his Harley.

His later accident ended his reputation at the bar due to the live stock he hit and injured severely. It was a ribbon winning steer that was worth thousands. The Harley apparently had no insurance so he was sued successfully by the livestock owner.

Moral? Don't screw with the bull or you'll get the horn. Also, control your temper when you ride or drive anything. If you don't know what your doing, don't do it. Finally, when rookies show off, they usually pay the price.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #45
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with the wife's '93 Acura. One day it stopped running, I was busy at work, so I took it to the local dealer. After they messed with it for a day, the service guy told me that they didn't know what the problem was and since it was an OBD-I car, they were unlikely to be able to figure it out without just replacing a bunch non-returnable electrical parts.

I said, "Are you telling me you don't want to work on my car?"

Service guy, "Pretty much, sorry."

I had to go the GM of the dealership to get them to eat the $150 "diagnostic fee", since they hadn't diagnosed anything.

Luckily for you, there a lot of oilhead experts out there.
This isn't so bad really.
They should be ashamed for charging the $150 and even more for throwing in the towel but if you got your $150 back you're way ahead of most.
It's OK to refuse work, not so OK to charge for doing so.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote