Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Brennan OP
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Czech Republique

Hello!!!

I've shipped my GS over here, because, well, I'm tired of having it rot in the US while I work on this side of the Atlantic. I work a rotation job 4 months on 2 months off. I plan on riding East whenever I'm not working until I get to the Pacific or I get tired of riding (doubtful), whichever comes first.

My bike should clear customs at Charles DeGaul on Monday. Hopefully with all the riding gear I sent with it intact.

Champagne will be my first stop for a couple of nights then on to visit my cousin in Brussels for a night or two. Then depending on the weather head to Holland for a few then over to Berlin and down to Prague or farther depending on what time will allow before I have to go back to work.

I've got a few miles on butt alone through South America and would prefer to ride with other people to share the adventure/experiences/culture with. I'll camp some, hotel and hostel when it suits.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to stop/stay feel free to post or PM me.

Thank you!
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Hello!!!

I've shipped my GS over here, because, well, I'm tired of having it rot in the US while I work on this side of the Atlantic. I work a rotation job 4 months on 2 months off. I plan on riding East whenever I'm not working until I get to the Pacific or I get tired of riding (doubtful), whichever comes first.

My bike should clear customs at Charles DeGaul on Monday. Hopefully with all the riding gear I sent with it intact.

Champagne will be my first stop for a couple of nights then on to visit my cousin in Brussels for a night or two. Then depending on the weather head to Holland for a few then over to Berlin and down to Prague or farther depending on what time will allow before I have to go back to work.

I've got a few miles on butt alone through South America and would prefer to ride with other people to share the adventure/experiences/culture with. I'll camp some, hotel and hostel when it suits.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to stop/stay feel free to post or PM me.

Thank you!
Bienvenue!

Although it's getting cooler and wetter, there should still be plenty of time to do some exploring as long as you have all-weather gear. Roughly speaking, November is when the bikes start to disappear from French roads and won't be seen again until around March, but that depends on where one is. The further south, the longer the riding season.

For the immediate, once you leave Champagne, Epernay is one of the most popular towns, and head to Brussels, you should go through the Ardennes. I recommend you go to Sedan, France, and then to Bouillon, just inside Belgium. Follow the Vallee de la Meuse river west for about 20 kms then go north and east through the Parc National de Lesse et Lomme. Great riding through beautiful forests. At Hans-sur-Lesse, there is a grotto open to the public and, at least 30 years ago, the end of the tour was a boat ride out. Bastogne isn't far away, but check if the visitor center is still closed for renovation. The whole area up to Liege is made for bikes. Spa is south of Liege and if you're lucky, there might still be some racing events going on.

Can't help you for the rides east but if and when you decide to do the Alps, just post and you'll get a lot of good advice. Most of the passes are closed at least to May, June for higher ones.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Brennan OP
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Bienvenue!

Although it's getting cooler and wetter, there should still be plenty of time to do some exploring as long as you have all-weather gear. Roughly speaking, November is when the bikes start to disappear from French roads and won't be seen again until around March, but that depends on where one is. The further south, the longer the riding season.

For the immediate, once you leave Champagne, Epernay is one of the most popular towns, and head to Brussels, you should go through the Ardennes. I recommend you go to Sedan, France, and then to Bouillon, just inside Belgium. Follow the Vallee de la Meuse river west for about 20 kms then go north and east through the Parc National de Lesse et Lomme. Great riding through beautiful forests. At Hans-sur-Lesse, there is a grotto open to the public and, at least 30 years ago, the end of the tour was a boat ride out. Bastogne isn't far away, but check if the visitor center is still closed for renovation. The whole area up to Liege is made for bikes. Spa is south of Liege and if you're lucky, there might still be some racing events going on.

Can't help you for the rides east but if and when you decide to do the Alps, just post and you'll get a lot of good advice. Most of the passes are closed at least to May, June for higher ones.

That is incredible. Thank you for all of the input and taking the time to write it all out. I've marked out everything on google maps so I can keep track of my overall points of interest for this leg of the trip.

I should be alright for weather, I have a Klim Badlands suit and I'm in the market for a heated pants/jacket/socks combo. I'll be riding again in February/March staying south and low in altitude. The idea of this leg of the trip is to get the bike as far south as possible before I have leave her and go back to work. I fully understand that I will freeze my ass off this winter. If it sucks then I won't continue until next summer but i want to give it a go.

Thank you again for the write up. I'll throw up some photos when I get to Brussels.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
That is incredible. Thank you for all of the input and taking the time to write it all out. I've marked out everything on google maps so I can keep track of my overall points of interest for this leg of the trip.

I should be alright for weather, I have a Klim Badlands suit and I'm in the market for a heated pants/jacket/socks combo. I'll be riding again in February/March staying south and low in altitude. The idea of this leg of the trip is to get the bike as far south as possible before I have leave her and go back to work. I fully understand that I will freeze my ass off this winter. If it sucks then I won't continue until next summer but i want to give it a go.

Thank you again for the write up. I'll throw up some photos when I get to Brussels.
You're welcome.