User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #16
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Marrakech ...

I've already expressed my disappointment at Marrakech earlier in the report so won't labour the point. The medina is buzzing but it's not as comfortable a place to be for a tourist/traveller compared to Fez which is truly an excellent location.

We're making the most of it and the Sofitel is generally very good and the souk an experience.

There's a saying in Morocco that. "visitors all have nice watches but we still own the time", and it's true.

We're here until Wednesday when my wife flies back to the UK and I head out, hopefully to rendezvous again with Vincenzo in Rabat. Going to ride the autoroute. We cross back over to Spain on Thursday, he will return to Malaga and I will head out to Portugal. I have four days to ride Algeciras to Bilbao for the ferry back to the UK which must include a night in Madrid to collect the work equipment that I left there en route to Morooco. I'm told that one of the nicest rides in Portugal is the Douro valley so I'm planning to do that and get some nice pictures. There seems to be two broad choices of route and I haven't yet decided whether to ride to Madrid and turn west into Porto, up to Santiago de Compostela and across northern Spain to Bilbao or ride through southern Portugal to Porto and turn east to Madrid. Either way, I'll update you on the trip.

My knee continues to trouble me and I'm beginning to think that something isn't quite right; there's clearly some ligament damage that I'd better get checked out when I can.

Thanks for reading. If any of you are heading to Morocco I'd be happy to share our experience, contacts and locations.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 09:26 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
doc917
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
great read so far i did some of your route in 2008.rode the same pass,what an experience.i also got caught in the mother of all sand storms on the road to erg chebbi,absolutely terrifying.
doc917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Thanks for the heads up about Marrakech. I was planning to visit there later this month on my way down to Western Sahara. I'll take a look at Fez instead.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc917 View Post
great read so far i did some of your route in 2008.rode the same pass,what an experience.i also got caught in the mother of all sand storms on the road to erg chebbi,absolutely terrifying.
It's been an experience, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Thanks for the heads up about Marrakech. I was planning to visit there later this month on my way down to Western Sahara. I'll take a look at Fez instead.
Your mileage may vary but like I said, Fez was an eye-opener but a pleasure to experience, Marrakech has left me feeling abused. Whichever you visit, have fun!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,570

Paul
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,454
You're doing my dream ride.
Lucky bugger.
thanks for all the tips along the way
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c View Post

Paul
Hey, Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
You're doing my dream ride.
Lucky bugger.
thanks for all the tips along the way

You're welcome!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
doc917
Adventurer

if you get a chance.stop at asilah.between rabat + tangier.nice chilled wee town.the people are brilliant,well they are to scotsmen,but i'm biased
Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Looks awesome! Will use this a s a reference if we get chance to make it to Africa!
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,014
great RR Wildman, hope the knee is better, maybe you needed some grape jam on it with that 30yr butter

So the wife and I are looking at a trip to Morocco in a few weeks, any signs of anti-US sentiment, or as usuall it's isolated and over blown by the media? And I assume you suggest renting a car (bike not an option right now) to see the the country on our own pace rather than a mega tour bus?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 716
Great ride report and photography Wildman! Your F800GS looks fantastic and hopefully it has turned out to be an excellent bike choice for you.

Thanks for taking the time to post,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
if you get a chance.stop at asilah.between rabat + tangier.nice chilled wee town.the people are brilliant,well they are to scotsmen,but i'm biased
I'll tell 'em you sent me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1 View Post
Looks awesome! Will use this a s a reference if we get chance to make it to Africa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
great RR Wildman, hope the knee is better, maybe you needed some grape jam on it with that 30yr butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
So the wife and I are looking at a trip to Morocco in a few weeks, any signs of anti-US sentiment, or as usuall it's isolated and over blown by the media? And I assume you suggest renting a car (bike not an option right now) to see the the country on our own pace rather than a mega tour bus?
Have been asked if I'm American several times but then I have a slightly unusual accent having lived seven years outside of the UK. Don't know how they would have responded if I'd said, "yes" but no noticeable American animosity here that I've seen. There are lot's of buses; Vincenzo took one down to Merzouga and an Italian couple who were staying at Dar Warde in Fez with us were touring Morocco by bus, stopping off for a few days when they wanted to. Big old Mercedes taxi's run regular routes picking up anyone who hails until they're full but hiring a car is probably the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Great ride report and photography Wildman! Your F800GS looks fantastic and hopefully it has turned out to be an excellent bike choice for you.

Thanks for taking the time to post,
Cheers poolman; love the F800GS, brilliant bike for this kind of trip!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
doc917
Adventurer

don't do that i didn't leave a tip
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
Sroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great report, thanks for sharing. I haven't been to Marakesh for 20 odd years but they used to have cooked snail vendors that I'd recommend as a different travelling experience. The snails were EXCELLENT!
Sroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #30
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
don't do that i didn't leave a tip
Why am I not surprised that a Jock didn't leave a tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sroz View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing. I haven't been to Marakesh for 20 odd years but they used to have cooked snail vendors that I'd recommend as a different travelling experience. The snails were EXCELLENT!
I'm as adventurous as the next guy with most of my eating habits, love frogs legs for example, but have never been able to put a snail in my mouth!