User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
mxbulldog OP
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 117
Interesting Clutch Issue

On my recent trip up to Inuvik from Saskatchewan, I noticed my clutch freeplay adjustment started to tighten up. This is on a 2009 F800GS that now has around 26,000km. I had to loosen the cable a couple of times and recalled doing that once before the start of the trip as well. I am now out of adjustment on the cable. Normally, as the clutch wears you need to remove slack from the cable, but I am having to add more slack all of the time. It does seem to slightly tighten up as it gets up to operating temperature.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? It is almost the end of the riding season here so i think I will be tearing into it to check the clutch plates and springs soon.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
The only thing that makes sense to me is that the fiber plates are breaking apart and the debris is stuck between the friction and drive plates causing the clutch engagement gap to grow. The other thing that could be going on is the clutch actuator cam is breaking off of the shaft causing sudden adjustment and tweaking. I have seen this on my buddies Husky TE610 and it works for a while and then you clutch actuation is completely gone.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 07:23 PM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
mxbulldog OP
Braaaap!

That's so crazy it just might make sense...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Nope, as it wears you lose slack. If you've run out of adjustment, you've pretty much also about run out of usable clutch.

Get the new updated clutch plates and springs and keep more slack than was originally specified for the 09 model year. I don't recall what the new spec is off hand, but I run mine with tons of slack (6-7mm) and have had no problems. Have not had to readjust since the clutch replacement two years ago.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
mxbulldog OP
Braaaap!

I've always run lots of slack... much more than recommended. Not much of a clutch abuser, I save that for the mx bikes. Going to order plates and springs and pull it apart in a couple weeks.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
vanbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbulldog View Post
I've always run lots of slack... much more than recommended. Not much of a clutch abuser, I save that for the mx bikes. Going to order plates and springs and pull it apart in a couple weeks.
Check this out if it will be a DIY job.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=37
vanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Moptop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
[QUOTE=mxbulldog;19561027]On my recent trip up to Inuvik from Saskatchewan, I noticed my clutch freeplay adjustment started to tighten up. This is on a 2009 F800GS that now has around 26,000km. I had to loosen the cable a couple of times and recalled doing that once before the start of the trip as well. I am now out of adjustment on the cable. Normally, as the clutch wears you need to remove slack from the cable, but I am having to add more slack all of the time. It does seem to slightly tighten up as it gets up to operating temperature.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? It is almost the end of the riding season here so i think I will be tearing into it to check the clutch plates and springs soon.

I had the same problem on my 09 model. Ended up with no clutch on the edge of the Simpson dessert on a recent trip. When I finally got it to a BMW mechanic ( 3500km) away he wanted to know from me why there was no free play left in my clutch.

Myself and a mate giving the bike open heart surgery to try an get me going again. Got to love smart phones. Did it all by getting instructions and photo/YouTube instructions from my regular mechanic thousands off km away.
Moptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
OK, gotta give my two cents.

My 09 has the same issue. Lots of free play but no further adjustment possible. Just did a 6500 km trip and it's still ok but has less play.

After 09, BMW changed the cable length and the part number. Get the latest cable and the thin nut and you're good to go as long as your clutch still functions normally. I replaced a clutch because it had no more adjustment however all the plates and springs measured within spec. It was a customer warranty and shortly after that the new cable revision came out that would have fixed it.

If you're in 6th gear under power, pull in the clutch a bit (without reducing throttle) then snap it out. If you feel the sudden jerk then the clutch is ok, if it's a smooth transition like you slowly let out the clutch then it's slipping and needs replacing.

You could just get a thinner nut on the upper end of the adjuster for now.

That's my plan, YMMV. A cable is cheaper and easier and you'll need it eventually anyway.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
mxbulldog OP
Braaaap!

Interesting about the cable update. Thanks!

No slippage at all with the clutch presently. I have been obsessing over that for the last 4000km. My new clutch plates and springs are at the stealership but I think I will inquire about the updated cable as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Moptop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Just got the bike back with the new upgraded clutch and longer cable.
Moptop is offline   Reply With Quote