ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
thisisjess OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
N. Ga. Dual Sport

Just thought I would share some good dirt to keep you in the woods...

So my knobbies did not come in yet and I am really pushing the 25% offroad capabilities of my shinko 705's but mostly just road FS gravel and hard pack roads... I did find quite a few gnarly trails where I had to circumnavigate some mud, along Jay Bridge Road. Obviously most folks have done Anderson Creek Rd, with the crossing, it gets a bit gnarly after the water crossing, to old bucktown rd, back behind hand-me-a-cola falls and then up winding stair gap rd. All of these roads I have done for years since they are pretty popular in Land Rover world. I do need a GPS as I am just using my iPhone and motionx gps for now. I just want to be sure to share routes and dirt since sometimes it is difficult to extract this stuff from folks on the board. I really want to do the Ga-Fl route one weekend and that is highly shared/documented... so thanks. until later.

also what is the deal with embedding google maps? I did a search and it proved fruitless...

View
Sunday Solo ride. in a larger map

some of the trip - I need a better mount my helmet mount fell off just before I left. handlebar mount is to crazy...

sunday solo ride from jess von brandt on Vimeo.

twitter
www.thisisjess.com
thisisjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176
I'll add that you are very close to the Cohutta Wilderness. The Cohutta Wilderness is a little bit northwest of Ellijay, GA. It has a main FS (most gravel) road that is about a 60 mile loop. Some really nice riding in various areas off that road.

You can enter the loop near Potato Patch Mtn and continue clockwise.
There's an OHV area near Conasauga Lake, called Windy Gap. Nice riding there for jap dual sport bikes. Not really good for Beemers or Triumph style dual sports. Then, if you get back on the main FS road and continue clockwise you can get to Rocky Flats OHV. Rocky Flats is a 4x4 road that runs several miles into the wilderness and ends on a bald with barricades. (Its dirt piled about 10 feet high obviously intended to end the trail.) It stops the offroad trucks, but is of little challenge to a dual sport bike. Its old two track after than until you get to a stream crossing. That crossing is the turnaround point. In my opinion it is uncrossable by all but the most experienced riders. (I didn't try it.)
Get back on the main FS road and continue around until you hit the Ocoee. More dirt, less gravel. Great riding. No gas options on the FS roads, but slight detours on the West side in Cisco, GA. (Look for the Wildlife Checking Station and follow that road out to get to a gas station in Cisco off of 411. Or, get gas near the East side near Ducktown, TN.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks guys.

Been looking for some gravel/dirt roads in the area, just back in the saddle
after a 10-year absence pretty much. Ouch, yes it did hurt.

Hit me up if you're up for a ride sometime in GA or Chattanooga area.

Peace.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Nastygnome
n00b

Oddometer: 3
thanks this is great stuff since im from the Rabun County area I will be posting some trips to soon as I buy my bike of course and sell the cbr!!! Thanks
Nastygnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
General PHillips
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey all, I'm interested in this area too. I'll be up in suches this weekend with some friends riding everything we can. We would like to stay busy all day on sat so any suggestions would be great.
General PHillips is offline   Reply With Quote