Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,525
Bultaco:
"Back to Back motos suck"
hahaha
Yes. Especially hung over with a mouth full of dirt from the first one.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
thread needs more pics

a dirt bike/racing background helps

so does being tall

so does being dumb and strong-ish (yes I picked it up by myself fully loaded in the mud)

but mainly I just really like having a LOT of horsepower.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,573

Loaded for a weekend, Anakee II tires. Made it up on the first go, but it was a close run thing.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I agree that its not about the bike. I road race a miata, I specifically hunt out newbs in Vettes and Porsches to make them cry. A skilled rider will spank my butt anywhere with a big touring bike. That being said, if your a smaller guy or newb you should look heavily at a 250cc or less dual sport. Those small bikes have many advantages for a lower skilled rider. I picked my CRF250L up six times Sunday, the last time after I was tired out was almost a no go.

itrack screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 09:19 AM
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
I agree that its not about the bike. A skilled rider will spank my butt anywhere with a big touring bike. That being said, if your a smaller guy or newb you should look heavily at a 250cc or less dual sport. Those small bikes have many advantages for a lower skilled rider. I picked my CRF250L up six times Sunday, the last time after I was tired out was almost a no go.

250's ain't just for newbs. I know plenty of old relic pros who love 250's for tight stuff, there is no shame in riding a small bike. In fact, my wife needs a new 250, wink wink.

The biggest thing for me is if the suspension is setup half way correct. I have a 650 (680) that will take me more places faster than the newer lighter 450 simply because it has better suspension.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
250's ain't just for newbs. I know plenty of old relic pros who love 250's for tight stuff, there is no shame in riding a small bike. In fact, my wife needs a new 250, wink wink.

The biggest thing for me is if the suspension is setup half way correct. I have a 650 (680) that will take me more places faster than the newer lighter 450 simply because it has better suspension.
Read again, I didn't say just for newbs. For newbs especially they have big advantages for them compared to a big KLR or such.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,105
I've got your answer. Go test a 12 690R. Talk about power! Every bit as quick as my old 950 up to about 90mph. Maybe quicker. It's got your name all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
a dirt bike/racing background helps

so does being tall

so does being dumb and strong-ish (yes I picked it up by myself fully loaded in the mud)

but mainly I just really like having a LOT of horsepower.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 523
its all about the rider...haha
a friend of mine never rode a 'big' bike before, so he tries it out in coal silt...of all places

Same guy playing on another friends sumo(he's the guy videoing) with street knobbies, think they were mt60's, again in the silt
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,115
I recently changed from a KTM 640ADV to a WR250R. The only thing I miss about the 640 is the giggles when accelerating (and the kewl factor). Other than that the 250 is a much better bike for my adventures.

Maybe I'm gettin old, but I sure enjoy easy mounting/dismounting, being able to quickly put my foot down to keep from tipping over, having less weight to throw around in tight corners, and being able to easily pick up the bike.

The main advantage of the WR250R over a 200 class bike is cruise speed. It goes 60mph all day long with trail gearing. The main disadvantage of the WR250r is it's still too heavy to be a real good trail bike. If I was much shorter than my 6'1" it would be too tall too.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #25
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Why such big bikes on gravel/ dirt routes? Serious question, no disrespect to anyone and the ride that they enjoy...

Clearly I am very secure in myself and satisfied with what I ride So, I ask myself, do I really need to spend $8k for the WR250R plus setup and etc when I can just haul my 230L to the CD and ride the CDR just fine, then ship it home?

OK, here is a chance for comments and catcalls. Interested in others ideas and perspectives. Thanks!

Oh, Edit to add- I rode a 1975 two-stroke GT750 Suzuki up the AK HWY when it was mostly gravel, on street tires with my frame backpack strapped on. Hauled ass, had fun. And I had two open class race bikes. So I understand but also know that my 230L privides just enough and no extra to smoothly travel gravel and dirt- actually safer than a quicker larger bike...
With the same respect, I don't understand your post. You're secure in yourself and satisfied with what you ride? So are the guys with bigger bikes. Seems you already know the answer to the questions you're asking, just not allowing for or understanding others to have the same answers? It's kind of like, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. If you have to ask, then yes, you need to spend $8k on another bike that will do what your 230L already does.

How about, larger bikes tend to be more comfortable, tend to carry more weight (camping gear), tend to go all the same places as smaller bikes offroad, albeit slower, and go on road faster. My question would be, if you have a bike at all, regardless of size, why not take it on gravel/dirt routes?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,067
I consider my KTM 690r to be a big bike. And it is because it weighs over 300lbs ready to go. Most terrain it does fine but you can always find places where a lighter bike is way better. I love the power though so for now I just avoid the really nasty trails. I have considered getting a 500 which is much lighter but for now the 690 is OK. Honestly some places I ride, the best bike would be a two stroke 125 or a trials bike! Anything bigger than my 690 is out of the question for me. I did a week in Baja with a bunch of riders on big adventure bikes and was so happy I was not on one of those beasts. They were able to do the trip but worked a lot harder. As I get older, light is right!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #27
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
Riding a big heavy bike on rough and difficult terrain just isn't fun IMO, it's work. In rough terrain the lighter and smaller the better. The bike I use for really rough stuff weighs 180 lbs and has 12 hp. When I drop it on a hill too steep to get traction it's not a big struggle to get turned around and try again. It'll go places a bigger bike can't, plus it gets about 100 mpg.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,067
One major consideration for me is the potential of the bike to hurt me in a crash due to its weight. We had a situation in Baja where a rider actually got his leg pinned under a KTM 950 Super Enduro. We had to get the bike off of him and he was a very very good rider. Luckily he did not break his leg. Something to think about.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,439
My main bike is a single 650GS. It goes everywhere I point it at, but sometimes it's just too much work. My fun bike is KLR250 - light, nimble, with enough power to go anywhere and not enough power to get me in trouble (no spontaneous wheelies, slips, etc). If i were doing the TAT, I'd probably take the 250. If I have to ride two hours to get to the dirt I'm visiting that day, I'd take the 650.

I've seen people on 1200GS doing stuff I would not attempt on the 250. I've also seen people on 250 unable to pass what I just cleared on the 650.

For me, the 650 is about as big of an adv bike as I will ever get. Sure, the KTMs are nice, light, powerful...but all too tall for me. If I can't flat foot it, I don't want 400+ pounds under me in dirt. The 650GS I can flatfoot, even though it is a heavy pig for its class. The 250 I can tiptoe, and that's okay, because it's a light bike.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
250's ain't just for newbs. I know plenty of old relic pros who love 250's for tight stuff, there is no shame in riding a small bike. ......
Especially if your 200 has about 40 hp and a light switch for a throttle.

As for the title of this thread, one of my greatest joys in life is backing into and roosting out of dirt and gravel corners with my 640. A mountain with a switchback forest service road and my 640 means I can entertain myself for hours if not days. It just isn't the same without enough power to steer with my right hand and enough suspension to put that power down over rough ground without spitting me off. Which accounts for why rear tires on my 640E are only lasting 600 to 800 miles.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 11:11 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote